Thread: Motherboard question

Question Motherboard question

I'm looking at going all out here soon and building a brand new gaming rig. However I have come across an issue. Due to the new ATI family, I'm going to go with them, and I would like to crossfire the cards. I have read both sides to my problem, about what motherboards support crossfire, and what ones don't. I read anandtech.com for reviews, and they have tested the 4870 in crossfire on an nForce board. So my question is, are the nForce chip sets capable of supporting crossfire? I would like to get a motherboard that supports DDR3 and crossfire, and still use an intel cpu. So what exactly are my options here?

Xtreme Addict
    the nvidia chipsets are trash, what you want is a P45 or an X48.
    dont go 4870 CF tho, get a 4870X2, should be out in less than a month, thats a single card with the performance of 2 4870s
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

I plan on getting the 4870x2, was only using it as an example from what I have seen. Didn't have a good example of the 4870x2 running on a non crossfire labeled board. And thanks for the input.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it sounds like you want to grab a sexy X48 platform board ^^, I don't have any experience with this board, but I'm about to go out and buy one today.
    it support crossfire, you can get in DDR2, or DDR3. If your going to be an Xtreme overclocker, if you do choose the X48, go with Foxconn's new-ish board. The options in the BIOS are astounding from the reviews.
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by h33tman View Post
    I read anandtech.com for reviews, and they have tested the 4870 in crossfire on an nForce board. So my question is, are the nForce chip sets capable of supporting crossfire?
    NForce boards don't support crossfire
    X48 or P45 boards are the way for CF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

well about that foxconn board. I am reading a lot of bad reviews about that. Is that the board your going with? If so let me know how it runs. It seems a lot of people get dead mobo's in the box, and a pile of other errors. Any other company recommendations?

Xtreme Addict
    I think we gave you a couple of tips already, what about browsing the forum a bit ? The search tool is your friend here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yes true. Just haven't built a system since the multiple cpu's have come out. So I'm slightly freaked out about all the new hardware that I haven't yet learned or experienced yet. Just hoping when the dust settles that it all works out. Building it is just going to be an extreme pain on me. Have to get it to boot with 3 OS's, and contemplating getting a case that can support 2 mobo's.

Xtreme Addict
    trying to ease the task for you a bit:
    Asus Rampage Formula (X48/DDR2/2 x 16 lanes in CF)
    Asus Maximus II Formula (P45/DDR2/2 x 8 lanes in CF)

hope that helps...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm looking at the MSI X48 Platinum LGA 775 Intel X48
    I like Asus and MSI, but we shall see. I might hold off until the nahelem releases. Cause I would just have to upgrade all over again once that cpu hits the shelves.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by h33tman View Post
    I read anandtech.com for reviews, and they have tested the 4870 in crossfire on an nForce board. So my question is, are the nForce chip sets capable of supporting crossfire?
    Which review was this? In the 4850/4870 review, they use the Intel DX48BT2 for crossfire (and probably everything else) and the EVGA 790i for sli.
    3800 X2 @ 2.7GHz
    DFI nf4 SLI-D
    2x1gb GSkill ZX
    TT Sonic Tower
    Visiontek 4850
    X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Corsair 750TX