Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: captaincascade's help+stuff=thread

X.I.P.
    I've never worked on an autocascade, so this is all theoretical for me.

One refrigerant becomes liquid in the condenser, while the other remains vapor. The trick then, is to deliver both to the separator. There must not be a liquid seal at the outlet of the condenser. That would block the flow of vapor to the separator.

Interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Gary Lloyd; 09-29-2003 at 12:16 AM.

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

Freezer Racer
    would a system designed to run ,,... like a server or something ...with as many evaps as you could want at, lets say, -60c.... be useful for anything? i dont know if it works like that but you know i mean like multi computers.
    If i was an animal Id be a freezer.

Xtreme Member
    Hey Captain, What kind of compressors does Revco use in their Ultra-Low temp freezers? On their site it says they have a cryo freezer that runs one compressor with a mixture of refrigerants that runs, uh i forgot temp, but it was pretty dam low. Just wondering if you knew. Thanks
    Heatware:http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=24651

Freezer Racer
    big scroll compresor. down to -150c. baker saw one at my shop.

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by captaincascade
    big scroll compresor. down to -150c. baker saw one at my shop.
    How Big and who makes one that goes down to -150?
    Thanks again

Freezer Racer
    Kendro. They own the names for qeue, revco, harris, puffar hubard, jewette, and a bunch more. my company is there waranty rep.

you mean cubic feet interior, or the foot print?

Xtreme Member
    i think he means rated cooling capacity in btu? or maybe hoarsepower... im sure it would have to be large in any sense.
    electrical engineering lab rat

As always, there are three important questions involved:

What is the heat load?

How cold do you want it?

Will that be Visa, MC, or Discover Card?

-gary

Xtreme Member
    exactly in horsepower?

Freezer Racer
    heres atempt # 2

-75c with my large contraption and a baker evap

heres a closer look

heres the machine of death and betrayal

here ya go jtoolz this is the scroll in a -150

Xtreme Member
    Thanks! That is amazing as is your work!

Xtreme Addict
    looking good....
    i think you froze my flex hose that is connected to bakers block.LOL

Xtreme Member
    Very impressive skipper!

What, you threw that together in two weeks? I've been hearing the theory and speculation for three months +.

The Cap'n remarks, "Who's yer Daddy?"

Xtreme Member
    CaptainCascade,

What can I say? Awesome work there my man........................

baker18

Freezer Racer
    Originally posted by herefishy
    Very impressive skipper!

What, you threw that together in two weeks? I've been hearing the theory and speculation for three months +.

The Cap'n remarks, "Who's yer Daddy?"

actualy i threw this guy together in 24 hours. it was an auto cascade kinda.... before.

yes your right again herefishy.........."im yo daddy"

Freezer Racer
    i got a question for u guys.... im sure loyd and herefishy will back me up..

how are you guys getting to such low temperatures?

theres a reason theres a cascade system in a -70. the reason is thats almost the only way you can do it.

they intented two stage compressors for a reason.

Im not saying your lying, its just some of the temps you guys say your gettin with a single stage compressor..... are just imposible.

Xtreme Member

theres a reason theres a cascade system in a -70. the reason is thats almost the only way you can do it.

Im not saying your lying, its just some of the temps you guys say your gettin with a single stage compressor..... are just imposible.
    You have to come check it out for yourself............

baker18

Xtreme Legend
    Thats the moment when all our little mod's etc. work ;]

Just like i cant understand few things in your cascade (i would do them in a different way- and will) you cant belive we get such low temps

X.I.P.
    They are not. It is inaccurate temperature sensors.

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

Xtreme Addict

well for one thing,these computer evaperators are so far away from what you or any refrigeration guy is used to,they do not work like a normal evaperator,because of the small size and heat transfer capability.they all have to be run off of cap tubing because of the small heat load.
    and the cap tubing adjustments are so timeconsuming to do right.
    even on my cascade i fully exspect to spend proberly close to 500 to 1000 dollars in refrigerant fine tuning the cap tubing.you have the refirgerant so close .but i will have to go though a bunch cutting and resizing the tubing.
    you are a lucky sucker being your dad has all the good stuff for you to use and he proberly never miss any off it...

all of my units i have spent contless hours working out cap tubing adjustments.all of my temps i report are spot on excate reading with fluke,or simpson gauges.under load and unloaded.

but i think you are refering to what temps so many people show with a prommie.but they are proberly way off.no prommie will run no colder than -46c loaded as of yet anyways.these super cold temps reported are not from a fluke or and kind of professional measuing device.
    if you can get the cap tubing right on the cascade you have i would expect unloaded temps in the -90c range and loaded temps in the -80c range.thats with a 90 watt or so heat load applied directly to the evaperator.

good luck.

i wonder how 95 flows compaired to 502 or 404a though a cap tube.i know what those 2 will take to get you close.you have the experiance with 95.lets do a little work and i can proberly get you within a foot of the perfect lenght if i can.

Xtreme Member
    Hi Cap'n. If you look at your P/T chart, you will see that the saturation temperature of R-404A is -57F @ 5"Hg vacuum. So an unloaded R-404A system being monitored at a -55F to -60F evaporator temperature is not an unreasonable expectation.

These little 1/4 horse systems will run 10" to 8"Hg vacuum unloaded, then run about a 2"Hg vacuum to 0 psig suction pressure when loaded. A lot of the bragging, and displayed temperatures that you see in the pics are unloaded machines, and usually the most amazing of the demonstrations are short-charged at the time of the photo.

In some of the "fatter" (higher capacity) systems that I have scratch-built, if the (sensed) block temperature does not get warmer that -30F during a hard clock (in the case of the #1 position of the 3Dmark'03 bench @ 8818+), you're doing super (resulting in about a minus22C core temp, according to some feedback that I've gotten - if I recall properly)

As I'm sure you are aware, -40SST applications R-404A are about the lowest reasonable expectation advertised by any compressor or condensing unit manufacturer for R-404A systems. I'd say that is about what we are doing.
    Last edited by herefishy; 10-02-2003 at 06:31 AM.

Freezer Racer
    i think it may be that im used to looking at product temp or air temp and not the evap temp. bowman i know if you had the resources you would have made a cascade a long time ago. That cascade was not anything seriouse, i already scraped it,. once i have the right specs ill build a poper system..... bowman r-95 is alot like 503, if that helps. i can do cap tube length for a freezer, but im not to sure about a computer. maybe we should compare lengths in a domestic frrezer cap tube useing 404a, in relation to -80 freezers cap tube.

Xtreme Addict
    i think it may be that im used to looking at product temp or air temp and not the evap temp. bowman i know if you had the resources you would have made a cascade a long time ago. That cascade was not anything seriouse, i already scraped it,. once i have the right specs ill build a poper system..... bowman r-95 is alot like 503, if that helps. i can do cap tube length for a freezer, but im not to sure about a computer. maybe we should compare lengths in a domestic frrezer cap tube useing 404a, in relation to -80 freezers cap tube.
    Well as me and you have talked before,the 95 or 503 is holding me back.i cannt justify the $1000 for the bottle i need to play with.
    the cap tubing.well the one i am going to use....i am going to try something.i am going to use the factory lenght for the 503 unit i have and then make a distubution manifold to reduce the single 503 cap tubing down to 2 small .028 cap tubing to feed the cpu and gpu.i have one here now running (single 502 system)with a large cap tube like that feeding 3 smaller ones.
    suprised no one has noticed it.but that way i have the entire lenght of .028 cap tubing subcooled.not that it makes alot of differance,but it is easier to run one main feed line with the suction to a distubution manifold and then split the 3 off.less tubes hanging all over.and it works really well for me right now.
    i just am not in a hurry to build it.i know i get lots of pms on it .but it is on my back burner.i go to working on it when i need relief from a project.or to help me relax...the more complex the project to better i like it...clears my head from the everyday worries.

good luck capt....
    i will be glad to help you on the cap sizes when you need them

Xtreme Legend
    Lil question that i think it belongs here: what oils do low temp refrigerants use ??

-R410A (lets assume its a low temp)
    -R23
    -R508
    -R503
    -R13

Is R23 compatabile with any oil ? (thats most important for me cause i found a place where i can buy it in Poland for 30$ / kg)

Freezer Racer
    just use alkabenzine 150. or zerol 150(same thing). or poe

Xtreme Legend
    is R23 compatabile with mineral oil ?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast