Thread: Question for Uncle Jimbo

Xtreme Member

Question for Uncle Jimbo

This question is directed to Uncle Jimbo, but anyone with information can feel free to chime in.

I was looking at what I can improve on my setup (besides bigger TEC's) and have been leaning towards getting some new radiators. My question has to do with the conversion of watt's to btu's (using an online converter) because I am not sure if the numbers look correct. I am comparing my current radiator, swiftech 3.120 and a new DD BlackIce Extreme III. My rad has a review claiming 400 watts (I assume this is per hour) and DangerDen says the Blackice is rated at ~9700 BTU's. Now doing the conversion I see that my rad has a BTU rating of ~1366, in comparing the two can this be correct? The DangerDen rad disposes of 6x more heat? Just doesn't seem quite right and I thought I could ask someone with some experience.

I based these numbers from the swiftech rad page:
    http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCR...r-pr-3320.html

and the danger den page:
    http://dangerden.com/store/product.p...85&page=1#tabs

So, if I get the new rads does this mean I will see a major improvement? I am currently using my rad to dump heat off of two tec's, one of them being ~85-115 watts on a HD3870 that is overclocked and the other tec is an unknown 50x50mm that is cooling an x6800 oc'ed to 3.4 with 1.37 V on the core. My cpu idles below zero and under full orthos load reaches around 40C after 20 minutes or so, if that is any help.

My main question in all this is whether the BlackIce radiators are actually worth the money they cost versus the cheaper radiators on the market?

Also, can someone else see if they can access the arctic spider website? It would be my luck that the time I want to order my tec from them that I cannot access their page!!

http://www.arcticspider.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=63

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by repsol_23; 07-16-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    well cant help ya with your rad question but the link you gave just gives me a page saying eye need to download Zend Optimizer ???
    even tho eye have been thier before without it sooooo ?????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCHOPPER View Post
    well cant help ya with your rad question but the link you gave just gives me a page saying eye need to download Zend Optimizer ???
    even tho eye have been thier before without it sooooo ?????
    Well thats exactly what I thought, but it actually says to "contact the webmaster of the site I am trying to contact and have them install the optimizer". That means that something on their end isn't quite working correctly if I am not mistaken. I know I was on there last week sometime to check their prices but now nothing comes up. Figures, I got paid today and was planning on ordering my plate but unless they have it somewhere else I will have to wait until they are back up.

Xtreme Addict
    no dout uncle jimbo will have a good answer for you quite possibly even a better choise for you

might be a good thing in the long run
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by repsol_23 View Post
    My rad has a review claiming 400 watts (I assume this is per hour)
    Power is energy per time unit. With watts it is Joules per Second. A BTU is a unit of energy and it approximately 1056 Joules. BTUH is a unit of power which is BTU per Hour (3600 seconds).

So, 9700 BTUH is 2.69BTUS which is over 2800w. This may seem like a lot more than 400w but this is because it is a incomparable measurement.

Any radiator will be able to dissipate a very high amount of heat, however the water will be very hot which is not good for cooling peltiers.

The swiftech rating will probably be a with normal water flow rates, normal fans and a 10c delta between the water and air. I'd say the numbers on the swiftech site are pretty good compared to most places (remember they all make up their own numbers).

The other number is probably plucked out of nowhere. I'm sure that radiator could dissipate 2800w but it might be glowing red at the time.

The issue of improving your temperatures is very complex so I will leave for the moment.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Infidel View Post
    Power is energy per time unit. With watts it is Joules per Second. A BTU is a unit of energy and it approximately 1056 Joules. BTUH is a unit of power which is BTU per Hour (3600 seconds).

So, 9700 BTUH is 2.69BTUS which is over 2800w. This may seem like a lot more than 400w but this is because it is a incomparable measurement.

Any radiator will be able to dissipate a very high amount of heat, however the water will be very hot which is not good for cooling peltiers.

The swiftech rating will probably be a with normal water flow rates, normal fans and a 10c delta between the water and air. I'd say the numbers on the swiftech site are pretty good compared to most places (remember they all make up their own numbers).

The other number is probably plucked out of nowhere. I'm sure that radiator could dissipate 2800w but it might be glowing red at the time.

The issue of improving your temperatures is very complex so I will leave for the moment.
    Yeah, it appears to be that way. I did some searching and found a thread where a thermochill pa120.3 and xtreme 3 were debated and consensus was that the pa120 was better due to being able to back up their numbers via data. Anyhow, I was just hoping to get the best "quiet" solution but wanted to make sure I did my homework considering the price of the rads.

My temps now are ~41C on the hot inlet to the rad with an ambient of ~29C, the hot air coming out the other side is ~34-36C. The temp of the hot side on my block is ~53C, and the cold side of the block hovers around 29C, with an average difference of 20C and max difference of 29C. The water loop cools both my tec's with the in/out flow being split between my cpu/gpu. Thanks!!
    Last edited by repsol_23; 07-16-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Chasing After Diety
    oh no uncle jimbo mia????

He is to TEC cooling what martin is to h2o cooling.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Cruncher
    He is busy with job!

Xtreme Member
    Well, if he isn't busy with work then maybe he is taking a well deserved vacation!! Anyhow, I think I have decided on getting the thermochill pa120.3 and using it in conjunction with my current swiftech rad. I think it will work great for me since I am looking to try and silence my system for nighttime gaming (don't wanna keep family up nights with my AC waterchiller). I am still trying to access the ArcticSpider site with no luck, so would anyone know where else I can find this elusive "340 Watt" tec. No one else seems to have the same or similar and I already have a 500 watt meanwell on its way!

Xtreme Cruncher
    site seems to be working fine. http://www.wintschlabs.com/

Here are some links to Martin's radiator tests. Very informative

Swiftech MCR320
    http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/Swif...20-Review.html

Thermochill PA 120.3
    http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/Ther..._3-Review.html

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by repsol_23 View Post
    Well, if he isn't busy with work then maybe he is taking a well deserved vacation!! Anyhow, I think I have decided on getting the thermochill pa120.3 and using it in conjunction with my current swiftech rad. I think it will work great for me since I am looking to try and silence my system for nighttime gaming (don't wanna keep family up nights with my AC waterchiller). I am still trying to access the ArcticSpider site with no luck, so would anyone know where else I can find this elusive "340 Watt" tec. No one else seems to have the same or similar and I already have a 500 watt meanwell on its way!
    As littleowl said, I have been busy on a job - will have limited time for the next few weeks.

The key measurement for any cooling system is the thermal resistance in C/W. Martin's excellent writeup gives a good idea of how this is measured and how it is used.

Both of these are great rads and with good fans can deliver better than .013 C/W. That means you will see a rise of less than 1.3C for each 100W of heat dissipated. The PA120.3 is slightly better - lower restriction and slightly better cooling performance.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littleowl View Post
    site seems to be working fine. http://www.wintschlabs.com/

I actually wanted this page, the one from ArcticSpider. I am looking the the 340W TEC rather than the block from Wintsch. Thanks.

http://www.arcticspider.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=63

Xtreme Cruncher
    If I am correct that site has been down since they closed wintschlabs a couple years ago. also if you read on the wintschlabs site here it tells you that you will need to go to frozenCPU to get a tec. You can always email them sales@wintschlabs.com. I would watch ebay.
    Last edited by littleowl; 07-19-2008 at 04:45 PM.