Thread: Why only Intel is used testing GPU’s?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Why only Intel is used testing GPU’s?

Intel is dominating the market for PC so it isn’t strange that most of the computers used when reviews are made for new video cards are using Intel processors. But even if Intel is dominating AMD exists.
    Why does these review sites ONLY use Intel when they test video cards? Have anyone seen a site using AMD when they test video a new video card?

Xtreme Mentor
    Methinks it's because the Intel CPU's are faster? It really doesn't matter when the GPU is the subject.
    And I don't need to get into a fanboi issue.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Methinks it's because the Intel CPU's are faster? It really doesn't matter when the GPU is the subject.
    And I don't need to get into a fanboi issue.
    But all those that have AMD are probably interested in how the video card performs their computers. Don't you think this is strange?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Most websites usually use 1 test setup which usually has the most popular current parts, so think a couple of years back, everything used to be reviewed on an A64 setup. Doing tests on AMD and Intel systems = twice the work and the differences aren't exactly going to be huge. A review is meant to give you an idea of how an item performs not tell you exactly how it will perform in your particular system.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    Most websites usually use 1 test setup which usually has the most popular current parts, so think a couple of years back, everything used to be reviewed on an A64 setup. Doing tests on AMD and Intel systems = twice the work and the differences aren't exactly going to be huge. A review is meant to give you an idea of how an item performs not tell you exactly how it will perform in your particular system.
    I understand that but when you read reviews they really look the same. Have you seen one then you have seen them all. On a consumer perspective and also to make the review more interesting in contrast to others it is strange that none is doing this.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gosh View Post
    I understand that but when you read reviews they really look the same. Have you seen one then you have seen them all. On a consumer perspective and also to make the review more interesting in contrast to others it is strange that none is doing this.
    Thank GOD for consistency! How could you ever choose what GPU to shop for if ten reviews completely contradicted each other? Reading several reviews with similar test setups gives you a good average, since there are always samples which perform less (and more) than others.

I Are DuneCat
    I Controls The Spice
    I Controls The Universe

Cooler Master ATCS 840 | Corsair HX 520W | Asus P5Q Pro | Q9550 | HD4870 | Corsair Dominator 4GB PC8500 |
    D-Tek FuZion v2 - EK RES 150 - Swiftech MCR-220/320 - Swiftech MCW-60 - DDC 3.2 + Petra's Top

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehnsucht View Post
    Thank GOD for consistency! How could you ever choose what GPU to shop for if ten reviews completely contradicted each other? Reading several reviews with similar test setups gives you a good average, since there are always samples which perform less (and more) than others.
    You mean that is necessary to read 10(?) reviews in order to know how the card performs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ideally you'd want to read as many as possible since all reviewers test different games at different settings and I also usually look at how the card benifits from overclocking as well as how well it overclocks. In my opinion reading just one review and rushing out to buy a product is not wise. Besides you can't expect them to review the same card on low-end, mid-range and high-end systems as well as cover everything in between as well as review on both AMD and Intel, doing one proper review is hard and time consuming enough.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just took a random number, but yes, I always crawl the internet for every review I can find if I'm buying something.

It's also nice to know that the test systems are well above average, which results that only the GPU powers are pitted against each other, ideally factoring out any other hardware limitations. The last statement of course does not hold when benchmarks are performed in lower resolutions, as CPU speed starts to limit.

I Are DuneCat
    I Controls The Spice
    I Controls The Universe

Cooler Master ATCS 840 | Corsair HX 520W | Asus P5Q Pro | Q9550 | HD4870 | Corsair Dominator 4GB PC8500 |
    D-Tek FuZion v2 - EK RES 150 - Swiftech MCR-220/320 - Swiftech MCW-60 - DDC 3.2 + Petra's Top

Xtreme Addict
    Does it matter? If it is good on an Intel platform it will also be good on AMD. I know that is generalizing but still. People dont review on AMD platforms simply because most use Intel so they want to appeal to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by gosh View Post
    But all those that have AMD are probably interested in how the video card performs their computers. Don't you think this is strange?
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Addict
    I'd have to agree I'd like to see more AMD benchmarks on the current hardware out there. Just to get a feel for what the speed difference is between the 2 systems if anything. Be nice to find out thats for sure. Could care less whats the best and whats the worst, if the sites take a little extra time and toss an AMD setup in there for comparison sake at least.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Member
    it doesnt really matter, if a GTX280 is 20% faster than an HD4870 on intel it will be on AMD too
    CPU:X3210 G0@3.6 (8x450 1.48v)
    MOBO: Asus P5K Premium, bios 402
    RAM: 4x 1GB DDR2-1066 @ 1080 5-5-5-15 2.3v
    CASE: antec 900
    GPU: XFX GeForce 7900gt @600/1900
    PSU: silverstone OP1000
    Cooling: MCP655, Apogee GT, MCR320-QP-K

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dunn2953 View Post
    it doesnt really matter, if a GTX280 is 20% faster than an HD4870 on intel it will be on AMD too
    In terms of Crossfire or SLI definatly not, it could be alot different. Even if the CPU is bottlencking the single card there could be a huge difference between the 2.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

The Blue Dolphin
    Once my Phenom 9950 arrives I'll do some extensive testing. AMD has the better platform (for anything but extreme overclocking) and Intel has the best CPUs. It will be interesting to compair HD4870 XFire
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Member
    I believe they try not to be limited by how much data the processor can feed to the graphic card, hence selecting the currently fastest product available to them.

It makes sense. Making a review with a slower processor would make the newer graphic cards starving for data.

They are, afterall, testing how fast the graphic card is in a non-constrained environment and not how fast the processor is.
    Never Argue With An Idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
    I believe they try not to be limited by how much data the processor can feed to the graphic card, hence selecting the currently fastest product available to them.

It makes sense. Making a review with a slower processor would make the newer graphic cards starving for data.

They are, afterall, testing how fast the graphic card is in a non-constrained environment and not how fast the processor is.
    Exactly!

They use the faster CPU available to prevent the tests from becoming a CPU benchmark.

When testing a new device you don't want the cpu to limit you and give a false representation of a GPU's true performance.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah Corvette should really do a run with a Vtec 2.0L that'll show us what it can do around the track.
    Same kinda concept.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehnsucht View Post
    I think alot of reviews do show different results, once you have seen one you have not seen them all