Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Microstuttering tests on ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Xtreme Legend

Microstuttering tests on ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Hi,

I'm working with full article of microstuttering issue including tests in Crysis and Race Driver: GRID with ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2, ATI Radeon HD 4870 CrossFireX, ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 and GeForce 9800 GX2.

Article will be published on Finnish hardware and overclocking site Muropaketti.com and translated to English.

Here is a sneak peak of what to expect:

I'm also waiting answers from AMD regarding this issue which I'll update to the article later.

-----------

Update:

Here are charts showing the difference between frametimes with ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2, 4870 CrossFireX and single 4870 in Race Driver: GRID:

And GeForce 9800 GX2 and GeForce 9800 GX2 in single GPU mode:

Still waiting input from ATI for my questions about microstuttering.

---

Update 2

Ok here is a short explanation about testing methods and graphs:

First of all, I'm using Race Driver: GRID demo and CrossFire and 9800 GX2 seem to work just FINE. With 1920x1200 resolution, 4xAA and 16xAF I get 66,9 FPS with single 4870, 73,4 FPS with 4870 CF and 75,6 FPS with 4870 X2:

(Red bar keskimääräinen is average FPS)

Second, the graphs I've showed here related to microstutterin ARE NOT intended to display performance but difference between frame rendering times. I have only recorded 2 seconds of gameplay and used first 30 frames from data.

If performance is 60 FPS.. that would mean graphics card renders 120 frames in 2 seconds. Since I have only used 30 frames to analyze the results and draw the graphs, it means gameplay of half a second (0,5s, 500 ms)!!! That's not enough to draw conclusion about perfromance...

... it might not be enough to draw conclusion about microstuttering either but in my own tests 30 frames already show clear pattern with ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 and rendering problem where every other frame is being rendered after different time than every other.
    Last edited by Sampsa; 07-15-2008 at 03:50 AM.
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Xtreme Mentor
    nice test

and nice to see average for new ati cards is nearly 2.5ms maybe less as seen on the graph .

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Member
    Wow!
    3870X2 is bumping the frames like mad! That would be awful feeling, especially in a fast racing game.

I wonder, can this behavior be demonstrated properly on a video record w/ FRAPS?

Xtreme Cruncher
    So 4870X2 card doesnt hold any "microshutter" advantage.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    These tests are being done with a fast processor? One of the theories/thoughts put forwards has been that a processor that's "too fast" will contribute to the microstuttering, since the GPU's get information too quickly.

Looking at that graph, the worst offender is also the slowest card by a noticeable margin. A faster graphics card(s) would process the given information faster, reducing the tendency for the frames to appear vastly out of sync.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    These tests are being done with a fast processor? One of the theories/thoughts put forwards has been that a processor that's "too fast" will contribute to the microstuttering, since the GPU's get information too quickly.

Looking at that graph, the worst offender is also the slowest card by a noticeable margin. A faster graphics card(s) would process the given information faster, reducing the tendency for the frames to appear vastly out of sync.
    Done with Intel Core 2 Duo E8500.
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    I guess that's where the 'smoothness' of the Phenom comes from.

(sorry, couldn't resist, disclaimer: I have three AMD processors)

In any case, didn't expect anything better, and won't be going multi-GPU any time soon..

Xtreme Member
    Seeing as how vsync apparently fixes a lot of (if not all?) of microstuttering, I would like to see more multi GPU graphics compairisons with vsync enabled in order to see which graphics cards can keep a higher minimum frame rate. Vsync makes for an overall more enjoyable play experience...except in twitch shooters or other games when reaction time is more important, as it causes input delay.

Xtreme Mentor
    Test needs to include dual 4870X2s and also a single GPU configuration for comparison. Otherwise, great results, it appears that CF micro stuttering has been reduced to nil with the HD4000 series.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Addict
    Vsync is not good in multi GPU due to the lack of triple buffering.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

The graph should really begin at what is labeled 'Frame 2'; there is no data before that.
    Did you test a single card also? The addition of a control would make the lower end of the data set more meaningful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak View Post
    XS is all about overkill.
    whats the point of being some place called "Xtreme" if you dont indulge in the overkill aspect of things.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    I guess that's where the 'smoothness' of the Phenom comes from.

(sorry, couldn't resist, disclaimer: I have three AMD processors)
    , nice joke though.

Anyhow, I would have expected they fixed microstuttering really. If they wouldnt have fixed it I think they would have let down quite some customers despite the performance.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hu1kamania View Post
    Seeing as how vsync apparently fixes a lot of (if not all?) of microstuttering
    It also inherently introduces mouse lag simply by the way it works, and this is easily noticeable in fast paced FPS games such as UT2004.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Member
    Strange results... Only the 3870 X2 suffers from any significant microstutter.

Xtreme Addict
    Interesting, so reading the graphs it suggests that the HD4000 series cards have improved greatly on Micrstuttering over the previous generation of cards, and that SLi (on the 9800 GX2) is a shade worse than the 4000 series but nowhere near as bad as the 3000 series Microstutter!
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Addict
    Oh.

DAMN SLI.

I just moved to a 4870 from a 8800GT SLI setup. In Crysis, the framerates are lower. THE GAME IS MUCH SMOOTHER. THE CONTROLS ARE DEAD ACCURATE. Even 25FPS could be considered playable whereas in SLI controls sucked below 40FPS

Damn ME if I ever buy a SLI or CF system again.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Member
    So let me get this correct; singel GPUs has perfect frame sync? Like a new frame every X.ms?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eson View Post
    So let me get this correct; singel GPUs has perfect frame sync? Like a new frame every X.ms?
    No they do not, but they are pretty close to it. It all depends upon the scene and what is to be rendered.

The 4870x2 have sealed its place in my checkbook

Thanks very much

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sampsa, did you test HD3870 X2 with same driver version also?

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    It also inherently introduces mouse lag simply by the way it works, and this is easily noticeable in fast paced FPS games such as UT2004.
    Yeah, thats was what I meant when I said it causes input delay.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZS View Post
    Interesting, so reading the graphs it suggests that the HD4000 series cards have improved greatly on Micrstuttering over the previous generation of cards, and that SLi (on the 9800 GX2) is a shade worse than the 4000 series but nowhere near as bad as the 3000 series Microstutter!
    Being second last place in this case doesn't give it any awards. If anything it means that 8800GT/GTS/98GTX SLI is probably as bad.

If it's noticable in high res that the cards are supposed to play at (3870X2, 9800GX2) it sucks. No passing through that.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Damn ME if I ever buy a SLI or CF system again.
    ...so im not the only one who was turned off? thought i was alone there...

singel GPUs has perfect frame sync?
    what's to sync? it only has one gpu

to sync or not to sync. that is the question.

can cf run well with vsync off?
    Last edited by adamsleath; 07-14-2008 at 05:57 AM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    Vsync is not good in multi GPU due to the lack of triple buffering.
    It may not be optimal, but what is the harm?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can't wait to see the full article!

Rig Specs
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 4.0ghz 1.37v - DFI Lanparty UT P35 TR2 - 4x1GB Team Xtreem DDR2-1066 - Palit 8800GT Sonic 512MB GDDR3 256-bit
    160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA II 8MB Cache - 320GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - Liteon 18X DVD-Writer /w LS
    640GB Western Digital SE16 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - Corsair HX 620W Modular PSU - Cooler Master Stacker 832
    Auzen 7.1 X-Plosion - Zalman ZM-DS4F - Sennheiser HD212 Pro - Edifier M2600

Custom Water Cooling
    Dtek Fusion Extreme CPU Block - Swiftech MCR-220 - Swiftech MCP655-B - Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservior - 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD Tubings
    Dual Thermaltake A2018s 120mm Blue LED Smart fans.

www.mni-photography.site88.net

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast