Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "demineralized/deionized/distilled" water

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    I think you guys are makingw ay too much of this.

CyberDruid, the uber mod god extraordinaire, uses Dasani bottled water, and its good enough for him.
    Dasani is filtered tap water, So I'd imagine it's right up there with De-Ionized.

A little expensive to drink though.

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

Xtreme Member
    Same exact sentiments here, my good man.
    So you've changed your earlier posture?

"Isn't all this going a bit too far?

I use distilled water only because I managed to locate 20 gallons of that stuff for about 75 cents a gallon.

Otherwise, I would use supermarket drinking water, or if that is not available, just tap water.

We're not talking about lab science here.. just computer cooling."

Seems like a lot of concern to me.

"I think you guys are makingw ay too much of this.

CyberDruid, the uber mod god extraordinaire, uses Dasani bottled water, and its good enough for him."

Where I come from saying the same thing twice usually indicates increasing interest, dear sir.
    i7 940 + HK LT, GTX 480 SLI
    ASUS P6T DLX V2, 6gig Corsair Dominator 1600
    2XDDC 3.2 18watts, PC LRT, pure distilled+silver, TC PA120.3/TFC 120.1
    2x150gigWD RaptorX, 4x1tbWD BLK SG, 1.5tb external drives
    SB Titanium PCI-X, Logitech z2300, Triton AX PC Pro
    2xMemorex DL DVD burners-USB attached
    Samsung 225BW & 204B
    MM U2 UFO powder coat+12x120MM fans, Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W, Windows 7 U64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbo03 View Post
    Dasani is filtered tap water, So I'd imagine it's right up there with De-Ionized.

A little expensive to drink though.
    Besides, I'm thinkin' at CD's level it's probably an obligation under some 6-figure endorsement contract. (That guy's skills are unreal!)
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so. Douglas Adams
    QX9650 @ 3825mhz CoolIT FZone
    2x HD3870X2 @ 845/946mhz air
    Asus Maximus Formula 0907
    2x2048mb OCZ Reaper 8500
    2x Raptor 150G Raid0; 'Cuda 1000G
    1200W Thermaltake
    xFi Extreme Gamer/ Z-5500
    Vista Ult. 64
    Cosmos 1000
    30" NEC

Quote Originally Posted by John Planet View Post
    So you've changed your earlier posture?

"Isn't all this going a bit too far?

I use distilled water only because I managed to locate 20 gallons of that stuff for about 75 cents a gallon.

Otherwise, I would use supermarket drinking water, or if that is not available, just tap water.

We're not talking about lab science here.. just computer cooling."

Seems like a lot of concern to me.

"I think you guys are makingw ay too much of this.

CyberDruid, the uber mod god extraordinaire, uses Dasani bottled water, and its good enough for him."

Where I come from saying the same thing twice usually indicates increasing interest, dear sir.

Honorable squire, I indeed use distilled water, but only because its available cheaply and also only because the store got its young clerk to carry the water out to the trunk of my car.

Indeed, if I were to not have access to distilled water, I would use that from some drinking water container from the supermarket. Alternatively, I will just go to my refrigerator and get some filtered water (like I trust whatever filter they use there).

Would I lose sleep over it? No. Would I care? Not really. Why? I probably would be tearing down whatever loop I built within 3 months, and I change the water in my tubes every month.

CyberDruid indeed used Dasani water for his super expensive Skulltrail machine. Whether he uses bottled water regularly on all his machines is a different matter.

My other friend AussieJester, another performance liquid cooling expert, uses water straight from his tap, albeit its in Australia.

My only increasing interest is in advising that the whole matter is blown way out of proportion.

*OF COURSE* the Europeans prefer deionized water, because distilled water is as hard to get as a goose that lays golden eggs. I was told that it costs more than adult beverages in Scandinavia and that it would come only from a government authorized social medicine pharmacy.

That's when I would turn on the tap and say "ce'est la vie."

Xtreme Member
    Okay IanY, how about this: "Blown out of proportion" exists on a sliding scale of what you find important to what anyone else thinks is important. Water cooling, at least for some of us, is a hobby as much as a form of thermal management. People sweat the little things when it comes to hobbies, sir. I'll be damned if I'll push tap or even filtered drinking water through MY loop because the very same components that make it TASTE good also make it corrosive and much more suitable for biologicals. Plus the idea of monthly flushes fills my heart with cold dread.

Do I care what other people (including your uber/godlike types) think about coolant? Only in the abstract. I'm more that capable of coming to a conclusion based on my experiences, anecdotal data, my urge to try new things and what's available. See how that works, my friend?
    Samsung 225BW & 204B

My friend, I thought that this is a hobby. If so, monthly flushes ought to be undertaken with a smile. Its not drudgery. For me, its no more than a 10 minutes process per machine. . Sweating the details (your phrase) means exercising the diligence. If the loops are planned properly, all it takes is a simple openning of a drainport tap, and then a refill.

The same people who fret about biologicals dump half a bottle of algaecide without worrying about the acidity, and then fail to change their whatever distilled water. And are too cheap to replace their tubing at frequent intervals. And then come in here and debate the merits between deionized, demineralized and distilled. Its comical.

Am I asking you to care what goes into anyone's machine? No. Does anyone really care what goes into yours? Not really. See how that goes?
    Last edited by IanY; 07-15-2008 at 05:00 AM.

Xtreme Member
    My friend, I thought that this is a hobby. If so, monthly flushes ought to be undertaken with a smile. Its not drudgery. For me, its no more than a 10 minutes process per machine. . Sweating the details (your phrase) means exercising the diligence. If the loops are planned properly, all it takes is a simple openning of a drainport tap, and then a refill.
    Oh, you're barking up the wrong tree now, buddy. My loop is one of the few I know of with an off-side T (for silky smooth draining) and a res (for effortless bleeding and sheer beauty). "Diligence", as you put it, is manifested, for ME, in the fact that I run a pH-buffered coolant that doesn't NEED monthly flushing OR antibiotics. Moreover, I spent somewhere on the order of $500 on my "planned properly" loop, and it runs accordingly. I'm not saying any of this to impress, just to let you know that I'm a black-belt water cooler, and have been for several years.

The same people who fret about biologicals dump half a bottle of algaecide without worrying about the acidity, and then fail to change their whatever distilled water. And are too cheap to replace their tubing at frequent intervals. And then come in here and debate the merits between deionized, demineralized and distilled. Its comical.
    And you say things like this, and then won't admit that you're deeply concerned about what others do? I'm starting to like you, IanY!

Am I asking you to care what goes into anyone's machine?
    I never said, or insinuated any such thing, IanY. Come now, no strawmen arguments, otay?

Does anyone really care what goes into yours? Not really.
    Yet you openly poke fun and make derisive comments about what other people are discussing here?

See how that goes?
    As far as you're concerned, I think I'm starting to.
    Samsung 225BW & 204B

Xtreme Member
    *OF COURSE* the Europeans prefer deionized water, because distilled water is as hard to get as a goose that lays golden eggs. I was told that it costs more than adult beverages in Scandinavia and that it would come only from a government authorized social medicine pharmacy.
    Hey! we don't PREFER deionized water, but as you said, the distilled is almost as expensive as cheap Vodka It's just insane! Last week I found a even more expensive water at government authorized social medicine pharmacy - "Sterile water"

The lady told me it was ultra pure and the cleanest lab water I could get!

For a price similar to 12year old scotch almost!
    Be Reasonable! - Demand The Impossible!

Banned
    Didn't someone want to set up their wc loop in a sterile room? I thought that was insane. I can't remember who it was though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12