Swiftech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: "demineralized/deionized/distilled" water

  1. #1
    Xtreme Addict CERO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,356

    "demineralized/deionized/distilled" water

    Whats the difference between "demineralized/deionized/distilled" water(concerning water cooling). I know that distilled water is the most recommend, but what about dimineralized and deionized water?
    Last edited by CERO; 07-13-2008 at 03:27 PM.
    DFI Lanparty LT X48-T2R
    Intel Q6600 L737B242 ~ VID 1.2125 ~ 4000mhZ @ 1.48 vcore {lapped}
    eVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB {stock}
    Crucial Ballistix PC8500 Tracer ~ 1200mhZ 5-5-5-12 @ 2.05v
    Lian Li PC-V1000 {modded}
    Corsair HX 620W
    Creative X-FI ExtremeMusic
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
    Thermalright-Ultra120 Xtreme {lapped} ft. Scythe S-Flex SFF21F S-FDB ~ Push & Pull

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,602
    They are different processes.

    Dionised water will have no charged particles, therefore is free of metals. However any organic matter will remain. Demineralised water is often obtained via dionisation.

    Distilled water is free for any metals and organic matter and is ideal for wc since there is a lower chance of it containing algae.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    88
    from wikipedia

    Distilled water has virtually all of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean cup, leaving nearly all of the solid contaminants behind
    Deionized water which is also known as demineralized water (DI water or de-ionized water) is water that has had its minerals removed, such as cations from sodium, calcium, iron, copper and anions such as chloride and bromideDeionization is a physical process which uses specially-manufactured ion exchange resins which bind to and filter out the mineral salts from water ... However, deionization does not significantly remove uncharged organic molecules, viruses or bacteria, except through "accidental" trapping by the resin.
    distilled water is boiled = little to no impurities
    deionized water is kinda of filtered which leaves impurities

    distilled>deionized
    Last edited by doomed; 07-13-2008 at 03:40 PM.

  4. #4
    Xtreme Addict CERO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,356
    So basicly if am right demineralized = deionized water basicly. Can demineralized water used for instance flushing the RAD or waterblock, since they cost here 3 times cheaper then distilled water, (or it is still bad for this purpose since it will ionized in my loop , pulling ions from my waterblock etc) Then I would use distilled water for the actual loop.
    DFI Lanparty LT X48-T2R
    Intel Q6600 L737B242 ~ VID 1.2125 ~ 4000mhZ @ 1.48 vcore {lapped}
    eVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB {stock}
    Crucial Ballistix PC8500 Tracer ~ 1200mhZ 5-5-5-12 @ 2.05v
    Lian Li PC-V1000 {modded}
    Corsair HX 620W
    Creative X-FI ExtremeMusic
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
    Thermalright-Ultra120 Xtreme {lapped} ft. Scythe S-Flex SFF21F S-FDB ~ Push & Pull

  5. #5
    Xtreme Addict CERO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    They are different processes.

    Dionised water will have no charged particles, therefore is free of metals. However any organic matter will remain. Demineralised water is often obtained via dionisation.

    Distilled water is free for any metals and organic matter and is ideal for wc since there is a lower chance of it containing algae.
    the thing is demi water cost 3 times cheaper then distilled, can I use demi water ( boil it) to flush my PA120.3 for first time use, or also in this case distilled is recommended? And using the distilled water for the actual loop.
    DFI Lanparty LT X48-T2R
    Intel Q6600 L737B242 ~ VID 1.2125 ~ 4000mhZ @ 1.48 vcore {lapped}
    eVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB {stock}
    Crucial Ballistix PC8500 Tracer ~ 1200mhZ 5-5-5-12 @ 2.05v
    Lian Li PC-V1000 {modded}
    Corsair HX 620W
    Creative X-FI ExtremeMusic
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
    Thermalright-Ultra120 Xtreme {lapped} ft. Scythe S-Flex SFF21F S-FDB ~ Push & Pull

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,602
    I flush all of my blocks with deionised water because I left them out to dry for a week. Then I flushed them with distilled water before leak testing because it is much cheaper. At the end of the day, you are going to use some form of an algaecide so you don't need to worry about organic matter.

  7. #7
    Xtreme Addict CERO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    I flush all of my blocks with deionised water because I left them out to dry for a week. Then I flushed them with distilled water before leak testing because it is much cheaper. At the end of the day, you are going to use some form of an algaecide so you don't need to worry about organic matter.
    well that short time u flush your RAD for first time use with demi water could it actually being bad since it may ionized your RAD, do u really leave them that long out for drying? But u should flush it with distilled always as the last step?
    DFI Lanparty LT X48-T2R
    Intel Q6600 L737B242 ~ VID 1.2125 ~ 4000mhZ @ 1.48 vcore {lapped}
    eVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB {stock}
    Crucial Ballistix PC8500 Tracer ~ 1200mhZ 5-5-5-12 @ 2.05v
    Lian Li PC-V1000 {modded}
    Corsair HX 620W
    Creative X-FI ExtremeMusic
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
    Thermalright-Ultra120 Xtreme {lapped} ft. Scythe S-Flex SFF21F S-FDB ~ Push & Pull

  8. #8
    Xtreme Member John Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hanover Park, IL
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    At the end of the day, you are going to use some form of an algaecide so you don't need to worry about organic matter.
    Algaecide is good, but unless you're very careful what you use it can break down quickly, hence lose its protective qualities. I'm trying a dual approach right now. My coolant maintains a pH that's hostile to growth, plus half of my tubing is Tygon silver for good measure. It's to early to tell, though. I'm also thinking about running a UV sterilizer in my next refit and plain distilled.
    i7 940 + HK LT, GTX 480 SLI
    ASUS P6T DLX V2, 6gig Corsair Dominator 1600
    2XDDC 3.2 18watts, PC LRT, pure distilled+silver, TC PA120.3/TFC 120.1
    2x150gigWD RaptorX, 4x1tbWD BLK SG, 1.5tb external drives
    SB Titanium PCI-X, Logitech z2300, Triton AX PC Pro
    2xMemorex DL DVD burners-USB attached
    Samsung 225BW & 204B
    MM U2 UFO powder coat+12x120MM fans, Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W, Windows 7 U64

  9. #9
    Xtreme Addict Serpentarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by John Planet View Post
    Algaecide is good, but unless you're very careful what you use it can break down quickly, hence lose its protective qualities. I'm trying a dual approach right now. My coolant maintains a pH that's hostile to growth, plus half of my tubing is Tygon silver for good measure. It's to early to tell, though. I'm also thinking about running a UV sterilizer in my next refit and plain distilled.
    i suggest you BECAREFUL of algaecide ... coz it's acidic, and it'll cause corossion .. normally if you use destilled water .. it's fine all the way ... coz copper is poisonous on algae and bacteria (that's why they use copper to kill weed and clean ponds)

  10. #10
    Xtreme Member John Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hanover Park, IL
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    i suggest you BECAREFUL of algaecide ... coz it's acidic, and it'll cause corossion .. normally if you use destilled water .. it's fine all the way ... coz copper is poisonous on algae and bacteria (that's why they use copper to kill weed and clean ponds)
    I've never used algaecide, mostly because I prefer exotic ways of doing things. Lots of other people do, though. Aren't there formulations that work in water cooling loops? Also, even though cooper does act as you say, it eventually develops a coating that walls it off. I'd never run with nothing at all, because life WILL find a way if at all possible.
    i7 940 + HK LT, GTX 480 SLI
    ASUS P6T DLX V2, 6gig Corsair Dominator 1600
    2XDDC 3.2 18watts, PC LRT, pure distilled+silver, TC PA120.3/TFC 120.1
    2x150gigWD RaptorX, 4x1tbWD BLK SG, 1.5tb external drives
    SB Titanium PCI-X, Logitech z2300, Triton AX PC Pro
    2xMemorex DL DVD burners-USB attached
    Samsung 225BW & 204B
    MM U2 UFO powder coat+12x120MM fans, Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W, Windows 7 U64

  11. #11
    Xtreme Member Webby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Posts
    153
    Ok now I hate to ruin everyone's party here but in the lab where I work we class deionised water as far purer than distilled, reverse osmosis membranes (used to remove ions) have a cut off that will effectively remove all charged particles so think a single sodium ion that is pretty small and significantly smaller than any organic contaminant you are going to find, obviously as soon as you open the bottle you will contaminate it but thats life! Distilled water is boiled but small water droplets containing impurities are entrained with the water vapour which means that the final product while purer than the original water is by no means pure.

    In relation to deionised water there are many different membranes and methods so some water will be purer than others but on the whole it should be far better than distilled water.

  12. #12
    Xtreme Addict Jimmer411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,315
    I use tap water.


    Algea/gunk/corrosion what?


    Its seriously not all its cooked up to be. Especially if your planning on adding antifreeze (Pentosin G11/G12, Prestone etc) or any other additive. So unless you live in mexico or some parts of socal....tap water is just fine.
    Phenom 9950BE @ 3.24Ghz| ASUS M3A78-T | ASUS 4870 | 4gb G.SKILL DDR2-1000 |Silverstone Strider 600w ST60F| XFI Xtremegamer | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | Maxtor 200gb 7200rpm 16mb | Samsung 206BW | MCP655 | MCR320 | Apogee | MCW60 | MM U2-UFO |

    A64 3800+ X2 AM2 @3.2Ghz| Biostar TF560 A2+ | 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | Sapphire 3870 512mb | Aircooled inside a White MM-UFO Horizon |

    Current Phenom overclock


    Max Phenom overclock

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    French Quarter of Grinchville
    Posts
    2,852
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRedRaider View Post
    LOL......
    It's a double-edged argument because not all areas has good tap water. Some water is hard and will cause buildup in the loop. You can use tap water for cleaning and rinsing the loop but use de******** water for final rinse and loop use.

  14. #14
    Xtreme Member CrazyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    122
    I get my water from work ... where we use the Resin process to make "a few million" gallons of De-mineralized water.
    After that, the Demin' water is put through a filtration process to De-ionize it as well.

    Demin'd and De-ionized water to about .07 ppm with a Conductivity of 0.

    However, contaminants will find a way in and Life will find a way to grow, and I don't want the water eating away at my copper blocks, so I put in a few drops of Petras PT-Nuke biocide. It's Copper sulfate based ... so it kills the bugs and also treats the demin'd water so that it already has the copper ions entrained.
    No block loss and a biocide all in one ... gotta love it.
    Old enough to know better ...

    Still young enough not to let that stop me !

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Ok now I hate to ruin everyone's party here but in the lab where I work we class deionised water as far purer than distilled, reverse osmosis membranes (used to remove ions) have a cut off that will effectively remove all charged particles so think a single sodium ion that is pretty small and significantly smaller than...
    biochemist and laboratory use water is purified by mixing different types of purifications because each one removes something that the other type doesn't, like carbon filtration, ultraviolet oxidation, double distillation ect.

    so unless your going to use laboratory water on the water cooling loop you want to get the water that gets rid of most contaminants, and not just ions and salts

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,850
    Isn't all this going a bit too far?

    I use distilled water only because I managed to locate 20 gallons of that stuff for about 75 cents a gallon.

    Otherwise, I would use supermarket drinking water, or if that is not available, just tap water.

    We're not talking about lab science here.. just computer cooling.

  17. #17
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    Isn't all this going a bit too far?

    I use distilled water only because I managed to locate 20 gallons of that stuff for about 75 cents a gallon.

    Otherwise, I would use supermarket drinking water, or if that is not available, just tap water.

    We're not talking about lab science here.. just computer cooling.

    Many people mislabel deminaralized water as "distelled". At that price, it won't be distilled, it is deminaralized or such other types of water obtained by osmosis/filtering.

    I also agree to the purity of water stated above. Distilled water contains organic and salts that are transported by vapor. It is quiet a pure water. Distilled, is less pure
    Q6600 G0 L740B126 Lapped, 2x1Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2-1200
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512Mb OC 756-1890-1000
    TT Toughpower 750 W (W0116) new 8xPCI-E Rev.
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400 AAKS rocks
    WC: Swiftech H2O-Apex Ultra 220 GT + PA120.3 5v
    OCZ XTC RAM Cooler, HR-05 IFX + 80mm FAN (NB), 2x HR-09U type 2 (mosfets), Modded Zalman ZM NB-47J (SB), Arctic-Cooling MX-2
    Vista 32 bits
    ------------
    - ASUS P5K Premium bios 0612: (3.84GHz 8x480) @1.432v


    ------------
    - P5B Deluxe: 3.60GHz (9x400) @1.33v *** Old Setup (P5B deluxe)

    OCCT 2.x Final Download

  18. #18
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    196
    My experience is that Distilled water is usually around $1.00 per gallon in the US at any common grocery store. I could only imagine that it's the same everywhere else. At that price you aren't really breaking the bank so why not use it if it's safer on average.

    Even better than deionized or distilled water is Reverse Osmosis water. From my understanding, RO is the best and most complete purification process therefore the best water you can buy for WC. My local grocery store (Ukrops) sells the stuff for 39 cents per gallon. It's pretty much the best for anything, drinking, car, and water cooling.
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

  19. #19
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by RVWinkle View Post
    My experience is that Distilled water is usually around $1.00 per gallon in the US at any common grocery store. I could only imagine that it's the same everywhere else. At that price you aren't really breaking the bank so why not use it if it's safer on average.

    Even better than deionized or distilled water is Reverse Osmosis water. From my understanding, RO is the best and most complete purification process therefore the best water you can buy for WC. My local grocery store (Ukrops) sells the stuff for 39 cents per gallon. It's pretty much the best for anything, drinking, car, and water cooling.
    As I said above, in the US laws, they stamp what they like, no real "laws" to protect consumer, or at least less severe than in Europe. At that price, it is not distilled
    Q6600 G0 L740B126 Lapped, 2x1Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2-1200
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512Mb OC 756-1890-1000
    TT Toughpower 750 W (W0116) new 8xPCI-E Rev.
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400 AAKS rocks
    WC: Swiftech H2O-Apex Ultra 220 GT + PA120.3 5v
    OCZ XTC RAM Cooler, HR-05 IFX + 80mm FAN (NB), 2x HR-09U type 2 (mosfets), Modded Zalman ZM NB-47J (SB), Arctic-Cooling MX-2
    Vista 32 bits
    ------------
    - ASUS P5K Premium bios 0612: (3.84GHz 8x480) @1.432v


    ------------
    - P5B Deluxe: 3.60GHz (9x400) @1.33v *** Old Setup (P5B deluxe)

    OCCT 2.x Final Download

  20. #20
    Xtreme Enthusiast Justintoxicated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny_ftm View Post
    Distilled water contains organic and salts that are transported by vapor. It is quiet a pure water. Distilled, is less pure
    huh?
    Enermax Liberty 620 Modular
    Liquid Stacker
    8GB G.Skill PC2 8800 5-5-5-15 @ 400MHZ (PC6400 Speed)
    DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    Liquid Cooling:
    Thermochill PA 120.3 W/ Panaflo L1BXs/L1As
    D5 andFuzion V2, DD MCP Universal
    8800GTS G92
    Intel Q9450 @3200MHZ @ 1.18v (Wont OC any higher despite voltage increases)

  21. #21
    Xtreme Enthusiast TedShred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada, by the mountains
    Posts
    931
    I was surprised to read that some guys are ok with tap water. Not that I know one way or another but, just FYI, here's a breakdown of my town's H2O quality parameters to show all the stuff that can be in there.


    edit: personally, I would never use Calgary tap water. For one thing, there's a ton of residue when that stuff evaporates (probably mostly calcium - Calgary's H2O has loads of it), and I wouldn't want that stuff running through my PC. Not to mention whatever greeblies are inhabiting the pipes in my building. I don't even drink it without running it through a Brita.
    Last edited by TedShred; 07-14-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so. Douglas Adams
    QX9650 @ 3825mhz CoolIT FZone
    2x HD3870X2 @ 845/946mhz air
    Asus Maximus Formula 0907
    2x2048mb OCZ Reaper 8500
    2x Raptor 150G Raid0; 'Cuda 1000G
    1200W Thermaltake
    xFi Extreme Gamer/ Z-5500
    Vista Ult. 64
    Cosmos 1000
    30" NEC

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,850
    I think you guys are makingw ay too much of this.

    CyberDruid, the uber mod god extraordinaire, uses Dasani bottled water, and its good enough for him.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
    Distilled water contains organic and salts that are transported by vapor. It is quiet a pure water. Distilled, is less pure
    huh?
    i totally agree, wth are u talking about

    and this is XS we're suppose to take everything be on extreme lol i wouldn't be surpriced if someone used double distilled water for their loop

  24. #24
    Xtreme Member John Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hanover Park, IL
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    I think you guys are makingw ay too much of this.

    CyberDruid, the uber mod god extraordinaire, uses Dasani bottled water, and its good enough for him.
    Yeah, I get that you feel that way. You and "CyberDruid" can toss whatever you want in your loops and it doesn't make me one bit of difference.
    i7 940 + HK LT, GTX 480 SLI
    ASUS P6T DLX V2, 6gig Corsair Dominator 1600
    2XDDC 3.2 18watts, PC LRT, pure distilled+silver, TC PA120.3/TFC 120.1
    2x150gigWD RaptorX, 4x1tbWD BLK SG, 1.5tb external drives
    SB Titanium PCI-X, Logitech z2300, Triton AX PC Pro
    2xMemorex DL DVD burners-USB attached
    Samsung 225BW & 204B
    MM U2 UFO powder coat+12x120MM fans, Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W, Windows 7 U64

  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,850
    Quote Originally Posted by John Planet View Post
    Yeah, I get that you feel that way. You and "CyberDruid" can toss whatever you want in your loops and it doesn't make me one bit of difference.
    Same exact sentiments here, my good man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •