Thread: built a hackintosh

I am Xtreme

built a hackintosh

ok well for a long time i been wanting to buy a mac mini, its the cheapest option out there in terms of latest hardware and a mac.
    but i dont know anyone who has a mac for me to sit down and mess with it.

so i built a hackintosh..
    the soul and only purpose of me doing this is because if i like it i am quite content to go get a mac mini, if it provides me with enough features and uses.

what programs/apps/etc should i look for that would push me into buying a real mac
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Are you running leopard i assume?

Make sure you have the 10.5.2 update, dont do it through the built in updater, kalaway has a updater for you if you used the kalaway install, the other ones do as well i assume.

The hackentosh dvd's often come preloaded and modded with random apps, so its not exactly like a real mac out of the box, its suprisingly different.

You want VLC, Handbrake, Toast, iLife 08', Hardware Monitor, Xbench, Transmission, Snes9x, Maybie limewire, Some people like camino over safari, but safari 3 is awesome.

I am Xtreme
    yeah i used leo4all ver 3 (which uses 10.5.2) and it loaded up without a hitch.
    the intel onboard video was running in regular mode, meaning the highest res was 1024x768.
    a couple of those app's are already on the disk so i will review them again.

hardware monitor is not though and i was wondering where a mac hardware monitor tool was. can you provide a link for me?

i tried loading it on my laptop but the video kept initializing and failing over and over in a loop so i had to load it on a dell 530s system w/ an 8600 GT video card. which works flawlessly.
    and yes safari is ok.

it took me forever to figure out that your menus for the active winodow are at the top of the screen, they are not actually part of the program or window like in MS Windows.

oh yes and i am dual booting with Vista. that was pretty easy too once you found a tutorial that actually worked.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    can you link that tutorial please? I'm interested in dual booting vista as well. Did you find it easy to do, or was it a PITA? have you noticed any issues with it? Thanks!!
    They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
    Howlin' Pelle Almqvist

Project Log Completed: all internal v1000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no love??
    They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
    Howlin' Pelle Almqvist

Project Log Completed: all internal v1000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I didn't need a tutorial for setting up OS X on my sig rig...Kalyway DVD just worked with the GUI installation. Needed the nvInject drivers for the G80, but other than that everything worked fine out of the box.

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM