Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPU Lapping #2 (with shocking pics)

i set my shutdown temp at 75c, it shutdown pretty quickly when my pump broke

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by bt_medic04 View Post
    i mis-understood your post the first time around, and was asking for some explanation on it. admittedly i should have asked in a different way and i apologize for that. staying awake for 26 hours doesnt help clarity of mind either in this situation. again, thank you for the clarification.
    Absolutely no problemo. I know what you are talking about. I used to lack enough sleep for years, some time ago. Strange things happen if you need sleep, but then you just force your body to stay awake.
    And BTW, my answer wasn't very polite, too. Sorry about that! I'm also a bit stressed out ATM, due to exams every few days.

IMHO bottom line to the topic is:
    - CPU should be absolutely fine
    - thermal transfer shouldn't be hindered by the small discoloration
    - for the good feeling and the certainty it still can't hurt to just relap it
    - as it is already flat, lapping will only take a minute anyway
    - and last but not least, let's all thank the guy who came up with the idea of the shutdown temp for CPUs
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Member
    lol im not botherd about how it looks i was just wondering if lapping would get rid of it the colours..

i want to try and bring them temps down a bit
    Case - Antec 1200
    Psu - Corsair HX 620w
    Mobo - Gigabyte ga-p55a-UD4
    Cpu - Intel Core i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    Ram - Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 7-8-7-20
    Gc - 2x Nvidia Gigabyte 260GTX OC 1gb SLI
    Hdd's - 4x Seagate Barracuda's (2 in raid0)

Watercooling setup

Pump - 12V Laing DDC-1T Ultra with Acrylic Pump Top
    Rad - 240mm Black Ice GT Stealth II
    CPU block - Swiftech Apogee XT
    Res - XSPC Single-bay res
    Tubing - 1/2" ID
    Fluid - Distilled Water

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig View Post
    And BTW, my answer wasn't very polite, too. Sorry about that! I'm also a bit stressed out ATM, due to exams every few days.
    its no worries bud it was i that messed up in the first place. i would rather have the answer straight up and to the point rather than have something sugarcoated. you gave me the answer straight up, and i appreciate that

good luck with the exams!
    Main System: Core i7 860-Kingston LoVo DDR3 1866-eVGA P55FTW--2x Gigabyte GTX460's in SLI-Intel X25-M 80GB-WD Caviar Black 1TB 32MB Cache HDD-Razer Barracuda AC-1-Corsair TX750-Samsung Dual Layer DVD Burner-Pioneer Dual Layer DVD Burner-Cooler Master CM690-II Advanced-Thermaltake Frio
    Secondary System: Core i3 530-eVGA H55-2x2GB Crucial DDR3 D9KPT -BFG GTX260-500GB Seagate 7200.12 HDD-Corsair HX620-NEC Dual Layer DVD Burner-Antec 300-Cooler Master Hyper 212+

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by CBird28 View Post
    lol im not botherd about how it looks i was just wondering if lapping would get rid of it the colours..

i want to try and bring them temps down a bit
    Yep, if you lap it again, you will get rid of the discoloration in no time. It's just a very thin layer on the surface. A minute and the CPU will look nice and shiny again as if nothing ever hapened. For the temps though, it won't help. The oxidation (or whatever it really is) is too thin to cause really bad temps. If you still have bad temps with a lapped IHS and a flat heatsink/waterblock base, then your only option is to remove the IHS to get even better thermal transfer, eliminating one thermal resistance (between IHS and CPU-DIE).

Quote Originally Posted by bt_medic04 View Post
    its no worries bud it was i that messed up in the first place. i would rather have the answer straight up and to the point rather than have something sugarcoated. you gave me the answer straight up, and i appreciate that

good luck with the exams!
    Thx man, I really appreciate it.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12