Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foxconn BlackOps Shared BIOS settings

Foxconn BlackOps Shared BIOS settings

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, if it is not then please remove this thread.

I have read a couple of threads about users that are having a hard time finding the right settings for memory’s and CPU etc on the Black Ops, so I have decided to share some of the settings that have worked for me and hopefully that can help someone else to get started. Also, do you have any other suggestions than mine for setting up the Black ops, or mayby settings for other hardware than used here, then please post.

This Monday I received my new pair of Cellshock 1866 Blue DDR3 memory’s that I have bought for a comparison that I am doing, when they arrived I started pretty much right away to test them, so this week I have spended many hours in front of the computer trying to learn how these stick and motherboard works together. That means that I have also tried many different setting, timings etc on the Black Ops. And it can be a bit tricky to set up at first, but when you have found the right settings Black Ops rocks. Also, I must say that the memory’s I have used also rock quite a bit.

First I want to write what many other have written, there are no universal settings to get 550 Mhz FSB with dual cores or 450Mhz FSB with quad, or get the memory’s to run at 1800Mhz. Every user has to do their share of tweaking to get the best out of their hardware. Also, if we use the exact same hardware it quite possible that we need different settings to get it to work, and the results may also vary. So Instead of writing down the best possible settings that I have been able to use, I will share settings that are more relaxed and then you can use them as a reference to get started.

This is the system I have used for this:

CPU Quad: ............Intel QX9650 Extreme
    CPU Dual: .............Intel E8400
    Memory kit 1: .......2GB CellShock DDR3 Micron PC3-15000 D9JNL
    Memory kit 2: .......Super Talent ProjectX 1800 D9GTR
    Motherboard:....... Foxconn Black Ops // BIOS G27 - G28

SETTINGS:

EDIT: I want to point out that the settings that i suggest isnt going to get you straight to 550Mhz FSB or 1000Mhz ram speeds, this is just settings i have found worked good on the hardware i used. The settings i suggest hopefully will get you started, and mayby can help users that just have bought this board and need some reference. Also, there are plenty of room left for tweaking.

I havent tested the memory timings finished yet, there are some work left to do, when i have tried some more i will update settings. Also, on the D9GTR memorys i havent done the serious testing that have been done on my D9JNL. But i will hopefully do that in the begining of next week, i will update when that is finished.

Here are some results with my Cellshock memorys on the Black Ops, to achive this i have started with the settings above and tweaked. This is with approx 1.955.
    ¨
    Last edited by jonbass; 07-13-2008 at 02:55 PM.
    CPU: Intel Kentsfield QX6850 // Motherboard: DFI lanparty 680i LT // RAM: OCZ Flex 9200 5-5-5-18 // GPU: ASUS 8800ULTRA GPU mod
    Power: Silverstone Olympia 1000w // HD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB/ 36GB/ // Cooling: SS tuned for Quad Core

Jonbass,

Thank you for the information this is very useful. Nicely done, very professional.

Xtreme Member
    The CPU-Z screen shots show 3840 mb worth of ram, yet your intro only lists 2gb.

Thanks very much for the comments , i hope that this can help someone getting started.

And yes, i only use 2048MB of rams, dont know why but CPU-Z shows the wrong value, if you belive the CPU-Z screen then i would have 3840MB of ram. Thath would mean that i used 3x1024 stick and one 512 + 256MB, or one 2048+1024 + 512+ 256 etc

The screen a couple of post down shows the actuall value in memset.
    Last edited by jonbass; 07-13-2008 at 08:45 AM.
    CPU: Intel Kentsfield QX6850 // Motherboard: DFI lanparty 680i LT // RAM: OCZ Flex 9200 5-5-5-18 // GPU: ASUS 8800ULTRA GPU mod
    Power: Silverstone Olympia 1000w // HD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB/ 36GB/ // Cooling: SS tuned for Quad Core

Xtreme Member
    jonbass,
    That's a very nice report and result. I am curious to know how you achieved 13K MB/s memory read speed in your test. I am using the same ram, bios settings, multi etc. as you and I can barley hit 12K. I am using the white memory slots, can that make a difference?
    This is my first post here and your memory read speed has compelled me to ask how you achieved such a result with a dual core @4.5 Ghz and 500 fsb. More detail would be greatly appreciated.
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Xtreme Addict
    very good post !
    those settings for your E8400 are just about the same for me on my MARS
    short of GTL settings the MARS has none
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

Hi!

Do you want to know the settings i use?
    Like i said before, my settings may not work for your pair of stick, but i will absolutely give you them and hopefully that can help you.
    First off i would recommend disabling everything that you don’t use, Lan2, IEEE1394 etc.

Cas Latency Time (tCL)……………...8
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)…….. 8
    RAS# Precharge (tRP)……………….. 8
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)…………….. 21
    Row Refresh Cycle (tRFC)………….. 60
    Performance Level………………………. 7
    Write to Precharge (tWR)………….. 22
    Write to Read Delay (tWTR)…………17
    Act to Act Delay (tRRD)…………………6
    Read to Precharge (tRTP)…………….. 7
    All Precharge to Refresh………………. Auto
    Refresh Period Ratio ……………………..1x
    Refresh Period (tREF)………………….. .Auto
    Command Per Clock ………………………1T

Rest of the memory settings on auto, now i did tweak some of the timings with memset in windows but this is the BIOS settings that i used. that toke my memory’s to 996 MHz (1992 MHz 1T), The FSB was 498Mhz, CPU 4482Mhz. I believe that is it.

If you have any more question please dont hesitate to ask.

EDIT:

Oh, i forgot to say welcome to Xtremesystems
    Last edited by jonbass; 07-13-2008 at 07:39 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the welcome!
    My settings in bios are actually a little tighter.
    For instance: tras=20
    twr=18
    twtr=17 (same)
    trrd=5
    trtp=5
    everything else is the same and yes I disable all non-essential functions. FSB is 500Mhz and with 9x multi=4.5ghz cpu clock but still 12K memory read speed. Which settings in Memset did you tweak? Are you using the blue or white slots? I wouldn't think it possible to get that much perforemance differece between ram sets with the same settings. I have a second set of the blue Cell Shocks in a P5e3 prem. and I will try switching them.
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

What are your ram speeds?
    Do you use 1T or 2T?
    What BIOS?

The settings tweaked in memset wont give you that big of a boost, also i use the blue slots but i dont think that will do any big diffrents for your result.

If your rams are running in 2000Mhz you should get higher read results i belive, i can not answer why your results is lower than mine with the same settings as me.
    Do you have a screen of memset that you can show, or a picthure of BIOS settings. Then it may be easier to figure out why your results dont match mine with the same settings.

This is a bit tighther and with 961Mhz RAM speeds, almost 13000 read. If you have the possibility, try to run with my settings somewhere around 900-950Mhz and see what read you get.

Last edited by jonbass; 07-13-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I'm at 1000 Mhz, 1t, G28 bios, perforemance level 7. The screen shot of memset shows you are using a pl of 6 @ 7-7-7 timings running at 961 Mhz. I didn't think the Cell Shocks were capable of that! Are those the tweaks you made in memset?
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

That is strange, I can’t say why it is so, i need some more info about your settings, maybe you can post or write down your BIOS settings.
    Or if you could give me a picture of BIOS settings then it would be easier to help you.

There is no problem for me running performance level 6 with 7-7-7-timings, but when running cas 8 then i need L7. And no, these aren’t the tweaked settings in memset for 996Mhz, for that i needed cas 8 with 1.95v, i posted the ones above so that you could try the same setting around 900Mhz and run a Everest read and then post it here with memset etc. But i believe that i used the same settings as above but with cas 8 and Level 7 for the results you are asking about.

For more info about setting with Cellshock memory’s and L6 etc, you can check this out.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...hlight=everest

Also this thread, now i belive this is with other memory’s than the ones we use, but maybe the screens from these two can help you better than i can.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...hlight=everest

If you could either write down the settings you are using or take a picture of them, voltage, timings etc then we can maybe figure out why our results differ so much.
    The time here in Sweden are very late so i will wait until tomorrow before i do any tests, but if i can have your settings then i can try them and see if my result changes anything.
    I can also take pictures of my BIOS settings if you want, then maybe that can better help you see if our settings are different in any way.

Also, if you can share your settings that can maybe help someone else to set up their system, thanks.

EDIT: I also have to say that my english arent that great always, so if there i something that isn´t understandable then please tell me.
    Last edited by jonbass; 07-13-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Xtreme Member
    jonbass,
    Your English is fine and thanks for your help. Here is a listing that I am satisfied with but I have not been able to reach the memory read numbers you have posted and it's bugging me.
    Bios G28 E8500 500 fsb 8.5 multi Cell Shock blue kit 2x1Gb in the white slots
    Vista 32bit cpu and NB on water 1:4 cpu333

CPU feature-everything disabled except core multi-processing
    ECC-disabled
    Dram Timing-Manual
    tCL-8T
    tRED-8T
    tRP-8T
    tRAS-18T
    tRFC-60T
    PL-L7
    tWR-18T
    tWTR-17T
    tRRD-5T
    tRTP-5T
    All prechg to refresh-Auto
    Refresh Period Ratio-X1
    tREF-Auto
    Command Per Clock-1T
    everything else-Auto

Voltages
    CPU Voltage Multi-X1.000
    CPU-1.500
    CPU Vdroop-Enabled
    CPU PLL-1.584
    CPU VTT-1.425
    CPU GTL's-All Default
    NB Voltage-1.594
    NB GTL-Default
    SB Voltage-1.538
    Dram Voltage-1.955
    Everything else-Default

PCIx clock-110MHz
    PCI clock-33.6
    Auto detect and spread spectrum-Disabled
    OC Recovery-Enabled
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noname.jpg 
Views:	5784 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	82021  
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Thank you very much for your setting

I can´t figure out why your results are lower than mine, also, i am really tired and it is late here in sweden so i wont be able to answer anymore until tommorow. But the only diffrence in our settings that i can see right now with my tired eyes is your CPU multipler, try to disable it and run multipler straight 9, if your CPU cant manage 4500Mhz then just try runing it wherever it is stable and see if that makes any diffrence.

I will continue my memory comparison tomorrow morning and will then test your settings and see how my result turns up, I hope that sounds OK. Keep trying.

Xtreme Member
    OK. I ran 9x with a little more cpu voltage earlier today and that's when I just touched 12,000 for the memory read speed with the same settings. Very curious. I will try the blue slots tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Xtreme X.I.P.
    very very nice thread jonbass!
    tripgood, welcome to XtremeSystems

and are you guys using the same version of everest?
    there are quite some differences in the bandwidth scores with different versions!
    and try more vmch... there are some weird situations with p35/x38/x48 where a certain speed is stable... but the perf is lower than what it should be, and as son as you increase the nb voltage slightly the perf is back to where it should be. this happened a lot with early p35 and x38 boards... i havent heard of this again since then, but give it a try, maybe it helps

Xtreme Member
    I thought about the Everest version last night. I am using v4.50.1330. I'll try more NB voltage tonight.
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Xtreme Member
    I think Saaya is correct about the Everest versions reporting different speeds. As I recall, the version used by jonbass, 3.5.761 will not work with Vista. I just wonder if my memory read speeds are 1000 points less because of Vista or the Everest version being used by jonbass. This screenshot shows the memory read benchmark @4.5GHz and our settings and components are virtually the same. I am betting that this is another Vista penalty we have to pay if we want crossfirex.

I made a couple of changes from the Memset posting and they had no effect on the read score. I changed tRAS-18T, tRRD-1, and tRTP-5. I tried upping the NB voltage to 1.673 and there was no change with any of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	5790 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	82049  
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Sorry i have taken me some time to answer today, i didn’t get the time this morning to test your settings etc. But i will do that later tonight. And i will then test with another Everest version and see if that changes my results.
    I have Win XP installed right now for a review so i can’t test Vista, yet.

I will post the result later tonight or tomorrow, i hope that sound good.

Xtreme Member
    Sounds very good!
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Xtreme Addict
    if it's any help ( my board is MARS) but my blue slots work better
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

I have tried another newer version of everest and thath gaved me around 12350 MB/s with 1000Mhz ram and same settings as you, so it´s like Saaya says, it matters what version you use.
    I never thought of that, but from now on i will offcourse use the newer version of Everest when posting results.

I will also try the white slots tommorow if i get a chance and see if that makes any diffrence.

Also, i will assemble my QX9650 tommorow for more quad FSB testing, hopefully i can update the first post with some new findings.

Xtreme Member
    That sounds very good. I tried the white slots with my ram but the board would not boot right away. I decided to stick with the blue. I have found that any hardware configuration changes with Vista can cause problems.

Good luck with your qx9650. My p5e3 premium with the same proc will do 450fsb at PL of 6 using Corsair ram. It is difficult to get a quad much higher than 460-465 but it can be done.
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Xtreme X.I.P.
    everst versions matter and windows vista or xp also has an influence, but i thought vista would give higher scores... but im not sure...
    in multi threadded scenarios vista should be faster... but ive seen quite some cases where its not... well, for the average user i guess it doesnt mantter if your pc is 5% slower or 10% slower as long as it looks good but i like xp :P

I am not sure if this is the right place to post

guide foxconn bios update?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hi javadshahvand, are you looking for this?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=191813

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast