Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Apogee GTZ

Xtreme Mentor
    Some of the older blocks like the regular TDX should be left off. I dont see the value in testing such old blocks.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have the AnFi block if you're interested Martin. . .
    They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
    Howlin' Pelle Almqvist

Project Log Completed: all internal v1000

Any chance you can test the Enzotech SWC-Rev. A?
    http://www.enzotechnology.com/scw_reva.htm

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would love to see an Alphacool NexXxos Block in there, and upon release the Watercool Heatkiller 3.0. If you want I can lend you some Alphacool blocks (NexXos XP (Bold) and NexXxos X2 highflow) for testing. You'd have to ship them back to Germany to me though

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by situman View Post
    Some of the older blocks like the regular TDX should be left off. I dont see the value in testing such old blocks.
    I disagree. It would be nice to see how the old tech fairs. That way, ppl can see, when they're building a new PC, if they should bother getting a new $50+ block if their old one is only down by 1-2*C.

-bZj
    Intel Q9550@3.4GHz & BoneTrail X38,
    HD4850@700/1100, G.Skill 3x2GB@1333,
    VelociRaptoRAID, Li'Lfish, DTek+Swiftech H2O

Intel E2180 @ 2.5GHz & Bad Axe 2,
    ATi HD 2600 Pro / 256MB @ 660/1100,
    Super Talent 4 x 1GB @ 832MHz/4-4-3-7,
    WD5000AAKS, CoolerMaster GeminII/RC690

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If he has the time, of course it would be best for us if he can test all the blocks he can lay his hands on. But apparently, time is limited so it would be better if he could "current" blocks.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Sure, Not sure I'll get them all done, but I should have the following I'll be working on:

• Apogee GTZ
    • Apogee GT
    • Apogee Drive
    • Danger Den MC-TDX
    • Danger Den TDX
    • D-Tek Fuzion V1
    • D-Tek Fuzion V2
    • XSPC Edge Acrylic
    • EK Supreme
    • Aqua Computers Double Impact
    • Thermalright XWB-01

But I'm not rushing this, going to take my time and do the full 5 mount detailed testing and some of them I might test with different nozzles, etc.

I'm also going to setup my flow meter in the test loop to record actual flow rate (Not completely necessary, but why not make use of it), going to run straight water, and I'm going to spend some time prior getting the actual heat load in watts of my processor so I can generate c/w values and maybe even play with the OC to determine the heat load at different overclocks.

Should be good I hope to maybe take the estimators a step further.

I've even been pondering running more than one pump scenario, perhaps one and then two DDCs with tops just to iron out if extra pumping power does anything or not.
    That's a really huge project. It's great to know you'll be back soon. Also, you'll be the first one publishing full results of a comparision between EK Supreme, the Fuzion v2 at stock and the new GTZ on a quadcore.

I suppose here you're going the Q6600 route?

By the way, just about all this funding discussion... I just realised there was a donation way to martin's on the flow estimator page. I just sent a small contribution for his valuable work. I think it's the way to go. If everyone using his tools/articles would contribute, independent reviewers would live. But I know, it's far from being a perfect world

Quote Originally Posted by ThrustSSC View Post
    It would be great, even if I won't miss it. On the italian tests published in another post, the top revision yielded worst performance on a quadcore
    Q6600 G0 L740B126 Lapped, 2x1Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2-1200
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512Mb OC 756-1890-1000
    TT Toughpower 750 W (W0116) new 8xPCI-E Rev.
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400 AAKS rocks
    WC: Swiftech H2O-Apex Ultra 220 GT + PA120.3 5v
    OCZ XTC RAM Cooler, HR-05 IFX + 80mm FAN (NB), 2x HR-09U type 2 (mosfets), Modded Zalman ZM NB-47J (SB), Arctic-Cooling MX-2
    Vista 32 bits
    ------------
    - ASUS P5K Premium bios 0612: (3.84GHz 8x480) @1.432v

------------
    - P5B Deluxe: 3.60GHz (9x400) @1.33v *** Old Setup (P5B deluxe)

OCCT 2.x Final Download

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I do have quite a few blocks here now, so I'm not sure exactly which ones will make it through. I'm just going to start testing and see where things go.

If I get them all done and still have the will to do more, I'll see if you guys are still interested in some loaners. I generally don't like loaner blocks because it gets expensive quick. I did that for a while and it quickly turns this volunteer testing into a donation hobby...wife doesn't like that much.

I've contacted Anfi before and they weren't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrustSSC View Post
    I never asked them before, I'll try. If nothing else, I may just buy one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_ftm View Post
    I suppose here you're going the Q6600 route?
    Yes, Q6600 and a DDC with XSPC Res Top with be the basis of my testing. The Q6600 is overclocked to 3.6/1.44V and perfectly stable now, so I hope it provided a decent and realistic amount of heat. Also this pump combo will be a good representation of a high performance single pump that's pretty common and the reservoir provides relatively quick bleeding.

Thanks guys!

It'll be a little while before I have any results to share, but I'll be working on it.

Xtreme Member
    I think that a lot of people like to have some results with the Ybris ACS
    Windows XP pro SP2
    Windows 7 familly premium 64 bits
    Asus rampage extreme II
    Intel i920 D0 21x205mhz@1.36V
    Circuit cpu : swiftech apoge xt, réservoir MCRES micro, tygon 12/19, pompe sanso PDH 054, radiateur feser 240 X-changer, 4 ventillateurs scyth ultra-kaze 3000 monitorés par un noise-isolator, 2 jupes fabriquées avec des ventillos de 38x120mm et 2 de 25x120mm
    Circuit VGA : waterblock eVGA/swiftech hydrocoper, tygon 12/19, réservoir MCRES, pompe ddc3.2 avec top xpsc, radiateur LCR XT2, 4 ventillateurs zalman zm-f3 monitorés par un réostat noise-isolator, 2 jupes fabriquées avec des ventillos de 38x120mm
    3x2Go g-skill perfect storm 2133@821mhz 6/7/6/21 1.65V
    Pc power and cooling turbocool 860W
    eVGA gtx480 fw hc@770/1739/1011
    Cambridge megaworks THX550
    graveur DVD-RW pionneer DVR 212
    lecteur DVD Samsung SH-D163B
    Velociraptor 300Go
    Crucial M-225 128Go
    alienware OptX AW2310
    Nvidia 3D vision
    Thermaltake Mozart Tx

Xtreme Addict
    Yes, Q6600 and a DDC with XSPC Res Top with be the basis of my testing. The Q6600 is overclocked to 3.6/1.44V and perfectly stable now, so I hope it provided a decent and realistic amount of heat. Also this pump combo will be a good representation of a high performance single pump that's pretty common and the reservoir provides relatively quick bleeding.

Thanks guys!

It'll be a little while before I have any results to share, but I'll be working on it.
    Great news. That Q6600 will give a fair amount of heat. If you like, you can give it some 1.50 vcore withou risks to even increase heat output. I think PSU calculator gives a fair appreciation of the expected heat generated
    OCZ XTC RAM Cooler, HR-05 IFX + 80mm FAN (NB), 2x HR-09U type 2 (mosfets), Modded Zalman ZM NB-47J (SB), Arctic-Cooling MX-2
    Vista 32 bits
    ------------

------------

OCCT 2.x Final Download

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
    Martin,

What will you use to load the cores for testing. Prime, OCT, etc?

andyc
    Prime95 small FFT or OCCT v2.x in CPU pure mode have the best CPU load and error detection.
    Than I feeel the huge debate and some LinPack lovers hurry up here
    Vista 32 bits
    ------------

------------

OCCT 2.x Final Download

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Martin,

What will you use to load the cores for testing. Prime, OCT, etc?

andyc
    OCCT 2.0, Custom (Infinite), CPU mode appears to be the hardest stressing for a quad that I'm aware of. At least for me it appears to stress harder than prime 95.

Havn't figured out how to run dual instances of Intel TAT for quad stressing, is there anything better that you've come across?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny_ftm View Post
    Great news. That Q6600 will give a fair amount of heat. If you like, you can give it some 1.50 vcore withou risks to even increase heat output. I think PSU calculator gives a fair appreciation of the expected heat generated
    Yeah, that's a good Idea, I might go ahead and bump the Vcore to 1.5 for the testing.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    WCG is a great test.. Loads all the cores at 100%..
    You guys will laugh but I never went in for this high end" Do Prime 95 for 64 years" type of testing.
    I build it, turn it on, crank up WCG and if no errors it's golden..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol at Movieman
    and still no internals?
    the exterior rocks but the internals is what makes or breaks the block
    a big to Gabe and the peeple at swiftech on the exterior look of the block

Q9450 @3.60 Ghz, Striker II Formula, Evga 9800GTX (863/2050/1200), 2X2gb 1100 5,5,5,18 D9's at 2.20V
    Cooled by: MCR320, D-Tek Fuzion V2, MCP335 w/ EK G3/8 TOPS, Full BP high flow 1/2" fittings
    Oh and Vista Ultimate (i know, I KNOW!)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I hadn't messed with OCCT much lately. But I just checked and there's a later version that does hammer the CPU much more.

At first glance seems about the same as Prime95 in custom mode using in place 8K FFT's from what I can tell. I do like the interface, graphs and readout better on OCCT though. Does a good job.

On another note, just ordered my Cyrstal Fontz setup and temp probes

Now we're getting serious.

andyc
    Ahh, ok. I tried the 8K in place vs the OCCT 2.0.0a back and forth several times, and they are close. I do seem to have just a touch more heat coming from the OCCT runs and it's less button clicking, so I think I'm going to go that route.

Swiftech's site says the GTZ eta is 7/30, so perhaps tomorrow we'll get a chance to see the internals

Xtreme Addict
    OCCT 2.0, Custom (Infinite), CPU mode appears to be the hardest stressing for a quad that I'm aware of. At least for me it appears to stress harder than prime 95.

Havn't figured out how to run dual instances of Intel TAT for quad stressing, is there anything better that you've come across?

The hardest stress test for a quad or any cpu i know of is F@H.

Though, not sure if you would have the time or desire to run it.?
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    True, and you know how much I'm into WCG, but not suited for testing really. The WU flush in and out of cache while processing which causes the temps to bounce. Plus, you'd never really be able to compare temps because you'd never really know exactly how much the WU's you get from time to time will effect temps.

That be said, I couldn't agree more about WCG/Bionic being the ultimate stability test, especially if you work all the different types of WU's. If you can design a build and OC's that holds up to that, you've done something. I use it as my stability benchmark.

andyc
    I'll tell you something that many here will call me a liar over:
    Late in Dec 2006 I set up the first 8 core clover here.
    A few bugs to work out at the time as there wasn't any info on them, it was all trial and error and no decent HS available, had to come up with my own concoction. From February 2006 thru June 2008 the machine had an uptime of over 99.8% excluding a 30 hour power outage during a ice storm and that 99.8% includes a few reboots after OS upgrades.
    I can do a SS from my WCG page on that machine..
    Not one error in all that time..
    This isn't me, this is just good quality parts matched well.
    Now you know why I tout Supermicro motherboards and quality PSU's..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by sirheck View Post
    The hardest stress test for a quad or any cpu i know of is F@H.
    Hardly. TAT (Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool) will get a dual core hotter than anything else can... but the bummer is it only works on dual cores. Gets The cores some 15C hotter than FAH can.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you guys see this description?

=================
    The Apogee™ GTZ is Swiftech's new flagship water-block. While it shares the same name with its predecessors, it also leaps beyond the GT and GTX performance charts thanks to an entirely new design that pushes and refines both thermal and mechanical specifications to the limits of today's technology. Thermal design of the cooling engine combines the benefits of direct coolant impingement over the CPU area with an entirely new copper base plate design which is primarily characterized by a pin matrix composed of 225 µm (0.009") micro structures. This results in a 20% improvement in thermal resistance compared to the Apogee™ GTX. Mechanical design of the copper base plate is optimized for Intel socket 775 and 771 and features a topographically mapped CPU contact area which results in a 75% and up to 300% improvement in TIM joint thermal resistance compared to the Apogee™ GT/GTX series. It should be noted that other types of sockets (AMD socket F, AM2, 940) may also benefit from the enhanced contact area to a lesser extent. An enhanced tool free retention system using thumb-nuts paired with a universal 775 motherboard back-plate also guarantees high quality, safe and repeatable mounts.

- The Apogee™ GTZ is shipped with an Intel® Core™ 2 (socket 775) compatible hold-down plate and complies with socket 775 keep-out specification, thus guaranteeing compatibility with all socket 775 type motherboards.
    =================

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdun View Post

=================
    The Apogee™ GTZ ... Thermal design of the cooling engine combines the benefits of direct coolant impingement over the CPU area with an entirely new copper base plate design which is primarily characterized by a pin matrix composed of 225 µm (0.009") micro structures... =================
    Good find! So from that description, it'll have a refined pin-matrix (ala GTX/Fusion, but improved), but also utilise impingement over the centre patch (similar to a nozzled fusion?).

Inseresting stuff

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    Hardly. TAT (Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool) will get a dual core hotter than anything else can... but the bummer is it only works on dual cores. Gets The cores some 15C hotter than FAH can.
    Maybe but it doesnt on my x3110 or Q66.
    Plus they pass all test but F@H after 2 days.
    With givin OC.
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdun View Post

=================
    The Apogee™ GTZ is Swiftech's new flagship water-block. While it shares the same name with its predecessors, it also leaps beyond the GT and GTX performance charts thanks to an entirely new design that pushes and refines both thermal and mechanical specifications to the limits of today's technology. Thermal design of the cooling engine combines the benefits of direct coolant impingement over the CPU area with an entirely new copper base plate design which is primarily characterized by a pin matrix composed of 225 µm (0.009") micro structures. This results in a 20% improvement in thermal resistance compared to the Apogee™ GTX. Mechanical design of the copper base plate is optimized for Intel socket 775 and 771 and features a topographically mapped CPU contact area which results in a 75% and up to 300% improvement in TIM joint thermal resistance compared to the Apogee™ GT/GTX series. It should be noted that other types of sockets (AMD socket F, AM2, 940) may also benefit from the enhanced contact area to a lesser extent. An enhanced tool free retention system using thumb-nuts paired with a universal 775 motherboard back-plate also guarantees high quality, safe and repeatable mounts.

- The Apogee™ GTZ is shipped with an Intel® Core™ 2 (socket 775) compatible hold-down plate and complies with socket 775 keep-out specification, thus guaranteeing compatibility with all socket 775 type motherboards.
    =================

Nice find!..

Man .009", that's like copper hair! This is getting very interesting...

Xtreme Member
    interesting that they seem to have made the block for 775/771, I wonder how that will impact performance on Nehalem (can't see buying a block now that won't perform well with the next upgrade).
    Xigmatek elysium
    i7 920, 4.2 at 1.32v 60C after 24 hours prime 95
    asus p6t6 ws revolution
    4870 1gb
    6gigs ddr3 1600
    x25-160 g2, velociraptor 300gig, 4x 2tb hitachi 7200rpm on an lsi 9260-81
    lg bd/hdvd combo
    apogee xt rev 2.0, swiftech 360, 240 with 4 sanyo denki's
    and 1 scythe (25mm did not have space for another 38mm)
    2 d5's in a koolance 425x2 res

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkresh View Post
    interesting that they seem to have made the block for 775/771, I wonder how that will impact performance on Nehalem (can't see buying a block now that won't perform well with the next upgrade).
    The current blocks MORE than cover the IHS so I don't see an issue with the bigger IHS on Nehalem, just will need a new mount plate or the current one drilled for the new hole spacing..

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast