Thread: BlackOps FAQ Thread

Threaded View

Xtreme X.I.P.

BlackOps FAQ Thread

Ok, i figured it might make sense to start an FAQ to cover the most common questions and problems. If the Solutions dont work for you, or you dont understand them, please post here or send me a private message. Please provide me with as many details about your hardware and what settings and operating system you are using. here is a template to post your system details

I cant run crossfire with a 4870x2 and a second card
    Please update your BIOS to G31 or later, there is a compatibility issue between the 4870x2 vga BIOS and older mainboard BIOS versions (FYI this isnt a Foxconn only issue, so if you read this and use a Board from a different vendor update the BIOS or contact them for a beta BIOS)
    This doesnt solve my problem

My system doesnt post reliably with several 4800 cards
    Please make sure you use the 8pin and 6pin power plugs, if your PSU doesnt have an 8pin vga power plug please use an adapter.
    For more details check this thread.

CPU not running at the Multiplier Clockspeed it is set to
    Please check out the CPU Multiplier Issues / CPU not running at full Speed Thread.

Raid+Optical drive freezes the board during Boot-up
    Select the DVD drives name instead of "SATA CD-Rom" in the boot device menu. Look for the maker of your drive or any numbers that might belong to the drive's serial number in the boot order menu.

CPU, FSB and Memory Clockspeed Issues
    Quadcores reach notably lower FSBs than DualCore CPUs, and as a result reaching high DDR3 memory speeds is more difficult with QuadCore CPUs. The memory settings you need to max out the memory are identical for DualCore and QuadCore CPUs, the only difference is that you might need more CPU tweaking with a Quadcore CPU to get the necessary high FSB. Several people posted stable overlock speeds, please have a look at their settings and try to copy them or use them as a guideline. You will usually have to push up VTT, Vcore and NB voltage, and on some CPUs PLL voltage to reach high FSB speeds. To make sure that the memory is not limiting you set the lowest possible CPU multiplier and a low memory divider and set the memory to relaxed timings like 888-24 and 1.9v and then start pushing up the FSB to fin out how high you can get FSB wise and what settings your cpu needs to get the FSB up.

Once you found the max FSB for your CPU its time to test if it can run this FSB with a higher multiplier and as a result higher cpuc Clockspeed as well. Its quite common that yu can reach a slightly higher FSB with a low multiplier than with a higher one. Additionally the maximum stable FSB you can achieve will vary depending on what memory divider you are using.

Now its time to configure the memory. First of all please check the memory compatibility list for your Mainboard over here and then search the foxconn section on XtremesyStems for the memory you are using and check if you can find posts of other users with the same memory. Check if they could run the memory stable and if so, check if they posted the settings they used. You can find some examples of memory timings and settings that are known to work over here and here and if you are using OCZ memory have a look over here too

I cant change OC Phase to "Manual OC" or "Instant OC", the option is greyed out
    Please check the FSB Strap jumpers on the board between the CPU and Videocard.
    There should be a jumper connecting the last two pins on the left (facing to the back of the case)
    If there is no jumper or the jumper is placed in a different location please set the jumper to the original position.
    You should now be able to select "Manual OC" or "Instant OC" in the Quantum Force BIOS Menu.

My Board doesnt start up or keeps retstarting or hanging during the startup processs
    Please follow the General System Debugging Guide and see if this helps you to solve your problem
    You might also want to check out the AWARD & Intel X38/X48 POST Code/Debug LED Guide, and the Compatibility Lists for your Mainboard which should be in this section.

My System is stable at stock speeds but im having a hard time getting my overclock stable
    Im working on an overclocking Guide, for now, please search the Foxconn Section for the hardare that you use and for BIOS Settings that other users posted, and see if you can use some of their settings to get your system stable.

Aegis Panel doesnt work properly
    Please download the latest version from the quantum force download section.
    You need to log in to download, but registering is fast and doesnt require email authentification.
    (you can use any email address to sign up and log in and download right away)

Aegis Panel error Message
    If you see the error message below then one of the ini files in the application folder is either missing or corrupt.
    Replace it with the original files if vista created a backup, otherwise just reinstall Aegis panel and it should work again
    This program does not support this model.
    The program will exit now!

I cant find new Driver and BIOS versions
    Please download the latest version of FOX Live Update from the quantum force download section.
    You need to log in to download, but registering is fast and doesnt require email authentification.
    (you can use any email address to sign up and log in and download right away)

How high can I set the Chipset voltage without risking to damage the board?
    This depends on how hot your northbridge gets, you should try to keep the northbridge below 60C under load.
    When you watercool the northbridge you should reach temperatures below 40C even with high chipset voltages.
    If cooling is adequate and the chipset doesnt get too hot, more than 1.7v is usually not needed to max out the chipset.
    Above 1.7v the chipset tends to not scale anymore, though higher voltages can hlp you to get the Performance Level (tRD) down when benching. There are a few reports of Chipsets damaged with 1.9-2v of chipset voltage, although this was most likely with not good enough cooling, you should be careful when running such high voltags.

I have problems updating the BIOS
    Please check out the BIOS FLash Guide

My mainboard keeps rebooting constantly and/or shutting down while im benching/gaming
    Most of the time this happens its because your hardware runs too hot, eventually because a heatsink isnt making good contact.
    Please check the temperatures of all your hardware, your CPU, chipset, memory and videocard to make sure none of those parts is overheating. If you are not sure if your hardware is overheating and what temperature is fine, just post a thread and ask about it or send me a private message. The second common reason for those problems is a faulty or too weak powersupply, or a powersupply/mainboard incompatibility. Please make sure your PSU is strong enough to supply all your hardware with enough power, and eventually try another PSU if possible. You might also want to check the PSU Compatibility list for your Mainboard over here
    Last edited by saaya; 10-27-2008 at 05:46 PM.