Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X48 BlackOps Heatsink/Waterblock/Extreme Cooling Compatibility List

Xtreme X.I.P.

X48 BlackOps Heatsink/Waterblock/Extreme Cooling Compatibility List

Hey Guys,

Heres a short list of CPU Heatsink/Waterblock/Extreme Cooling solutions that are known to fit on the Blackops

Known to work:
    Asus Silent Knight II
    Coolermaster V8
    Coolermaster Z600
    Coolermaster Gemin II
    Coolink Silentator
    Duniek cu/alu POT
    EK Supreme Waterblock
    KingPin F1 POT
    KingPin F1EE POT
    Kingblock POT by AlexTa
    Koolance CPU-340 Waterblock
    Koolance CPU-345AC Waterblock
    Koolance CPU-345AT Waterblock
    Koolance CPU-350AC Waterblock
    Mach2 GT 775 mounting Kit
    Noctua NH-U12P
    Noctua NHC 12P
    OCZ Cryo-Z 775 mounting Kit
    OCZ Gladiator
    OCZ Gladiator MAX
    OCZ HydroFlow Waterblock
    OCZ Vanquisher
    OCZ Vendetta
    OCZ Vendetta 2
    Scythe Andy Samurai Master
    Scythe Katana
    Scythe Mugen
    Scythe Ninja Copper
    Scythe Ninja Mini
    Scythe Ninja PLUS
    SunbeamTech Core Contact Freeze
    Swiftech MCX 775-V
    Thermalright IFX-14
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120 VX
    Tuniq Tower 120
    Xigmatek Achilles
    Xigmatek Red Scorpion
    Ybris ACS Waterblock
    Ybris One-Evo Waterblock
    Zalman WB3 Gold Waterblock
    Zalman WB4 Gold Waterblock
    Zalman WB4 PLUS Waterblock
    Zalman WB5 Waterblock

might need modifcation:
    Scythe Orochi (might not fit in some cases, might block memory with large heatsinks)
    SilverStone NT06 Evolution (very close to nb heatsink/block)
    Thermalright TRUE 120 Ultra Extreme (needs to be rotated to use memory slot1)
    Thermaltake DuOrb (needs a small modification to the mounting bracket)
    Zalman CNPS-9300 (needs a small modification to the MULTI mounting bracket, the 775 only bracket works fine)
    Zalman CNPS-9500 (needs a small modification to the MULTI mounting bracket, the 775 only bracket works fine)
    Zalman CNPS-9700 (needs a small modification to the MULTI mounting bracket, the 775 only bracket works fine)
    Zalman CNPS-9900 (needs a small modification to the MULTI mounting bracket, the 775 only bracket works fine)

doesnt fit:
    none so far

If you have a heatsink that doesnt seem to fit please let us know and post some pictures if possible.
    If you do use a third party heatsink and it works well, please let us know so we can add it to the list here!
    thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT: List updated
    Last edited by saaya; 12-30-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    Hey Guys,

Heres a short list of CPU Heatsinks that are known to fit on the Blackops

Known to work:
    OCZ Vendetta 2

Might cause problems?
    none known so far
    I have problem with that Cooler:
    1. It's have too hard bracket and with all of four press stud/latch (sorry, I don't know properly name of it) mobo don't post - FF on the LED screen. With two of them, it's 100% ok.
    2. Some problems with getting off this cooler from mobo. Radiator is very big, and around of the socket don't have a lot of free space.

C2D E8400 E0 @ 4GHz : DFI LANParty X48 UT T3R : Mushkin Black Ascent 2x1GB DDR3 : BFG GTX260 : Corsair HX520W

Xtreme Member
    Asus Silent Knight II it' s compatible
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=55096&dateline=129607  8083

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryba View Post
    I have problem with that Cooler:
    1. It's have too hard bracket and with all of four press stud/latch (sorry, I don't know properly name of it) mobo don't post - FF on the LED screen. With two of them, it's 100% ok.
    2. Some problems with getting off this cooler from mobo. Radiator is very big, and around of the socket don't have a lot of free space.
    hmmm sorry i dont get what you mean
    could you explain it with some more detail?
    so when you mount it with 2 screws it fits, when you mount it with 4 screws the board doesnt post?

thanks FOGNA

Champion
    hmmm sorry i dont get what you mean
    could you explain it with some more detail?
    so when you mount it with 2 screws it fits, when you mount it with 4 screws the board doesnt post?

thanks FOGNA

when I use only 2 of them it's ok, but with all 4 my Blackops looks like banana and don't POST (only FF on LEDs)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asd.jpg 
Views:	2447 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	82347  

C2D E8400 E0 @ 4GHz : DFI LANParty X48 UT T3R : Mushkin Black Ascent 2x1GB DDR3 : BFG GTX260 : Corsair HX520W

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hmmmm sounds like your pushing the mounting pins down too strong, either that, or there is something wrong with the mounting pins...
    definately be very careful! when you push the pcb so hard it doesnt boot anymore you are close to breaking the board!

lets check with ocz, maybe theres a mounting guide or some tip or trick on how to mount it well

the jedi master
    you can if you wish convert the heatsink to bolt down, i have not actually used the vendetta 2 but this guide should explain the basics of what is needed. http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=32036

What you need to try to do is bolt the mounting brackets to the heatsink so they bend up the way not down, remove the pushpins and pick up 4x40mm 4mm pan head screws, 8 nylon washers, 4 4mm wingnuts and 4 springs. i know you can buy mounting kits for other sinks that convert to bolt thru and I know EK have a waterblock mounting kit available also that you could use. I actually built a kit up here from a local hardware store and it cost me less than $4 so it is not expensive if you know where to look. What I have suggested here is a short term fix, i will look into OCZ changing to a bolt down design and retro supply a bolt down kit.
    Last edited by Tony; 07-22-2008 at 01:36 AM.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Champion
    hmmmm sounds like your pushing the mounting pins down too strong, either that, or there is something wrong with the mounting pins...
    definately be very careful! when you push the pcb so hard it doesnt boot anymore you are close to breaking the board!

lets check with ocz, maybe theres a mounting guide or some tip or trick on how to mount it well
    yeeeaa, yeeaaa, yeaaaa. Cascade is very denger to

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    you can if you wish convert the heatsink to bolt down, i have not actually used the vendetta 2 but this guide should explain the basics of what is needed. http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=32036

What you need to try to do is bolt the mounting brackets to the heatsink so they bend up the way not down, remove the pushpins and pick up 4x40mm 4mm pan head screws, 8 nylon washers, 4 4mm wingnuts and 4 springs. i know you can buy mounting kits for other sinks that convert to bolt thru and I know EK have a waterblock mounting kit available also that you could use. I actually built a kit up here from a local hardware store and it cost me less than $4 so it is not expensive if you know where to look. What I have suggested here is a short term fix, i will look into OCZ changing to a bolt down design and retro supply a bolt down kit.
    Hmmm, this way is too long for me. I don't have time to play with this, when I'm testing motherboards. Two pushpins way is ok

Xtreme X.I.P.
    thanks tony! and good to hear you gys are working on a bolt down mounting system!
    ryba, yeah, same here... shamino and most engineers here only use 2 pins as well
    i use 4, but only since im watercooling and the hoses are pulling a lot on the block.

I have tried Big Typhoon 120 VX with mounting pins and this cooler workes fine on the Black Ops, now i saw the problem earlier in this thread with mounting pins and with the Thermaltake BT the board gets bendt, but not so much that it causes any problems.

Also, my modded Mach 2 workes fine too, it have used the standard assembling kit for 775.
    CPU: Intel Kentsfield QX6850 // Motherboard: DFI lanparty 680i LT // RAM: OCZ Flex 9200 5-5-5-18 // GPU: ASUS 8800ULTRA GPU mod
    Power: Silverstone Olympia 1000w // HD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB/ 36GB/ // Cooling: SS tuned for Quad Core

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ok, well i guess the problem with the push pin system is that its really hard to get it right, its easy to push in one pin too deep so then the pcb bends a lot...

thanks for the feedback!

Xtreme Member
    Waterblock Ybris One-Evo & Ybris ACS are compatibles

Kingblock pot by AlexTa it' s compatible
    Last edited by F.O.G.N.A.; 08-10-2008 at 04:09 PM.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=55096&dateline=129607  8083

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by F.O.G.N.A. View Post
    Waterblock Ybris One-Evo & Ybris ACS are compatibles

Kingblock pot by AlexTa it' s compatible
    Thanks!!!

Xtreme Member
    Core Contact Freeze by SumbeamTech it' compatible

Xtreme X.I.P.
    grazieeee

I am using the Zalman CNPS-9700 HSF. Works pretty well but I had to slightly modify things to get it to fit.

There is a spring clip tab on the mounting bracket that is intended for use on an AM2 mount. The tab stuck out just far enough to bump into the mosfet cooler fins. I trimmed down the tab since I'm not using an AM2 proc. It's plastic and easy to shave down and once the tab is shortened the bracket fits.

The second thing I had to modify was the cooling fan on the NB. With the fan squared over the NB HS the NB fan interferes with the fins on the Zalman HSF. To work around that I am using one screw on the NB fan on the upper right corner. By rotating the fan down about 30 degrees the fan still blows across the NB but does not interfere with the fins on the Zalman cooler.
    Blackops G30 bios
    2x 4870 X2 CrossfireX
    2X2 GB G-Skill 1600
    Intel Q9450
    300GB Velociraptor
    1TB WD (storage)
    1200W Coolmax PSU

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by myro View Post
    I am using the Zalman CNPS-9700 HSF. Works pretty well but I had to slightly modify things to get it to fit.

There is a spring clip tab on the mounting bracket that is intended for use on an AM2 mount. The tab stuck out just far enough to bump into the mosfet cooler fins. I trimmed down the tab since I'm not using an AM2 proc. It's plastic and easy to shave down and once the tab is shortened the bracket fits.

The second thing I had to modify was the cooling fan on the NB. With the fan squared over the NB HS the NB fan interferes with the fins on the Zalman HSF. To work around that I am using one screw on the NB fan on the upper right corner. By rotating the fan down about 30 degrees the fan still blows across the NB but does not interfere with the fins on the Zalman cooler.
    nice, thanks for the headsup!
    glad to hear that heatsink fits, its one of my favourites
    i used a dozen of them for all the test systems at cellshock when i still worked there

could you post a pic of the mods you had to do?
    thanks again!

I am Xtreme
    I have the 9700 as well, fits fine using the 775-only mount.

Sorry about the low quality pics but a webcam is the best I have out here at the moment. I may need to get the 775 only mount in the future, sounds like it is easier to use.

So here is the trimmed tab. I cut about 3mm off the tab.

The fan tilted down a little. Might even be helping the cooling a little since this is quaranteed to eliminate any overpressure situation.

With this mount and the NB fan tilted slightly down you can see that there is a tiny bit of bending on the Zalman. This is better than not tilting the fan b/c it was preventing me from fully seating the Zalman.

I like the blue LED fan as well. I'm a bit of a nut for blue lights.
    Last edited by myro; 09-22-2008 at 10:00 AM.
    Blackops G30 bios
    2x 4870 X2 CrossfireX
    2X2 GB G-Skill 1600
    Intel Q9450
    300GB Velociraptor
    1TB WD (storage)
    1200W Coolmax PSU

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
    I have the 9700 as well, fits fine using the 775-only mount.
    yeah, i was surprised about the two lever things for the amd socket when i mounted the new 9700 heatsink a few weeks ago, the 9700s i used at cellshock didnt have those multi brackets.

Sorry about the low quality pics but a webcam is the best I have out here at the moment. I may need to get the 775 only mount in the future, sounds like it is easier to use.
    no problem, they are good enough thanks a lot!
    the 775 only bracket is the same as yours without those black lever things... so you can as well just saw/cut off those levers if you dont plan to mount it on an amd platform in future.

I like the blue LED fan as well. I'm a bit of a nut for blue lights.
    mhhh youll like the 10 programmable blue leds on the avenger then

Xtreme Member
    Checked and working on black ops:

- Scythe Orochi
    - Scythe Mugen
    - Coolink Silentator
    - Noctua NHC 12P
    - Coolermaster V8
    - Coolermaster Z600
    - Coolermaster Gemin II
    - Thermalright True
    - Xigmatek Achilles
    - Xigmatek Red Scorpion
    - Asus Rampage Formula X48 / Foxconn Black Ops X48
    - Q9450 & E8600
    - 2 x 1gb cheap as #$^& memory
    - Sapphire HD4870
    - Antec Truepower Quattro 1000w.

Quantum-Force boards i own(ed): Mars / Blackops / Avenger?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remcokatz View Post
    Checked and working on black ops:

- Scythe Orochi
    - Scythe Mugen
    - Coolink Silentator
    - Noctua NHC 12P
    - Coolermaster V8
    - Coolermaster Z600
    - Coolermaster Gemin II
    - Thermalright True
    - Xigmatek Achilles
    - Xigmatek Red Scorpion
    wow, awesome!
    thanks a lot man!

Xtreme Member
    Duniek cu/alu cpu tube also fits like a charm

Xtreme Member
    Hi guys, I'm liking my Blackops so far apart from one little niggle to date.

I see you have noted that with the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme oriented north/south it blocks DIMM1 but also when it is rotated 90° to east/west none of the supplied NB cooling solutions are workable.

The only way I could fit a fan was to scavenge a low profile one from a HDD cooler as the supplied fan is too high a profile to sit under the TU120e and even the low profile fan is a tight fit.

The NB block appears to be bolted on, is there a low profile option available anywhere or is making a custom one the only option?

Cheers.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendo View Post
    Duniek cu/alu cpu tube also fits like a charm
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wotcher View Post
    Hi guys, I'm liking my Blackops so far apart from one little niggle to date.

I see you have noted that with the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme oriented north/south it blocks DIMM1 but also when it is rotated 90° to east/west none of the supplied NB cooling solutions are workable.

The only way I could fit a fan was to scavenge a low profile one from a HDD cooler as the supplied fan is too high a profile to sit under the TU120e and even the low profile fan is a tight fit.

The NB block appears to be bolted on, is there a low profile option available anywhere or is making a custom one the only option?

Cheers.
    hmmmm there is no low profile version, sorry...
    we made the BloodRage cooling modular so the heatsink/waterblock can be completely removed if you want to replace it. unfortunately thats not possible on the BlackOps... what you could do, is remove the entire cooling solution and then unscrew the waterblock base with fins from the waterblock walls. its actually 2 seperate parts... if you remove the walls then you cant screw the nb block down though, unless you build some custom small hold down bow or mechanism to clip the nb block onto the chipset.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast