Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: X48 BlackOps Heatsink/Waterblock/Extreme Cooling Compatibility List

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the reply.

From your description I assume the fins are integral to the heatpipe and the threads for the retaining screws are in the walls of the block yes?

If this is indeed correct a simple "strap" type bracket shouldn't be hard to engineer, I'll look into it as an option.

The current setup is workable so I will weigh up whether the modification would be worth attempting.

Either that or start saving for the i7 upgrade which may require a secondary income at present pricing

Xtreme X.I.P.
    the threads are in the walls of the block, yes, the fins are connected to a base plate, which is connected to the heatpipes, but you can remove it!
    nehalem is very nice, but quite pricey, yeah...

no coolers for mars :P ?
    Unleash The Power
    | Intel C2D E8400 @ 3.6 Ghz (1.28v) | Foxconn MARS | 4GB Kingston DDR2 800 (5-5-5-15) | XIGMATEK HDT S1283 + Arctic Cooling MX-2 | SAPPHIRE 4850 Dual Slot (700/1000) | Samsung HD501LJ 500GB | Samsung SH-S223 | FSP Elipson 700W | 2x120mm Intake Fans | 2x120mm Exhaust | Codegen 9011 Case | Samsung 943NWX | Creative SBS 370 2.1 |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the threads are in the walls of the block, yes, the fins are connected to a base plate, which is connected to the heatpipes, but you can remove it!
    Is there a diagram for that?

It sounds like an aftermarket northbridge water cooler block could be used. Something like this using bolts to hard mount the block over the heatpipes?
    Last edited by Sailindawg; 12-09-2008 at 05:35 PM.
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thenura View Post
    no coolers for mars :P ?
    no time atm, sorryy

Quote Originally Posted by Sailindawg View Post
    Is there a diagram for that?

It sounds like an aftermarket northbridge water cooler block could be used. Something like this using bolts to hard mount the block over the heatpipes?
    yes, but theres be quite some modding involved... i dont have time to make a guide for that atm, ill do my best to remember this and once i finished most of the BloodRage stuff ill have a look into this

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    yes, but theres be quite some modding involved... i dont have time to make a guide for that atm, ill do my best to remember this and once i finished most of the BloodRage stuff ill have a look into this
    Thanks Saaya. I'll stay tuned and thanks again for the effort.
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i wish i had the time to do it now... if you dont hear from me for 2 weeks just poke me via pm ok?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    i wish i had the time to do it now... if you dont hear from me for 2 weeks just poke me via pm ok?
    BIG Thanks!!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    your welcome

I have just ordered one of these bad boys to replace the RE for the rig in my sig

Is there a compatibility list of waterblocks?
    Im looking to WC the whole thing, Mosfets/NB/SB ect..
    Im guessing this thing isnt generic with spacings ect as it has such a complex cooling system
    Intel Q9650 | EK Supreme
    G.Skill 4x2gb DDR3 1600mhz
    Foxconn Blackops | Stock Block
    ATI HD4870x2 | EK FC 4870x2
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium
    T.C Electronics Konnect 24D
    Tegan Piperock 1300w
    2 Velociraptor 300gb (RAID0)
    Caviar Black 1tb
    LG Blu-Ray Writer/Pioneer DVD Writer
    LianLi v1000+
    Samsung 26" 1920*1200 Monitor
    Lycosa/Mamba/G13
    Genelec 8040a pair
    PA120.3/Laing DDC 18w/Single Bay Res
    Zalman 6fan controller/Card reader and floppy drive

Vista Ultimate rocks with 8GB

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I added some cpu waterblocks to the cooling compatibility list of the BlackOps, but chipset waterblock wise, no, sorry
    Although the universal chipset waterblocks from DangerDen and Swiftech should fit since they have flexible mounting brackets

ahh man.. that sucks!
    So no mosfet blocks? Surely someone somewhere must have made a few?
    Intel Q9650 | EK Supreme
    G.Skill 4x2gb DDR3 1600mhz
    Foxconn Blackops | Stock Block
    ATI HD4870x2 | EK FC 4870x2
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium
    T.C Electronics Konnect 24D
    Tegan Piperock 1300w
    2 Velociraptor 300gb (RAID0)
    Caviar Black 1tb
    LG Blu-Ray Writer/Pioneer DVD Writer
    LianLi v1000+
    Samsung 26" 1920*1200 Monitor
    Lycosa/Mamba/G13
    Genelec 8040a pair
    PA120.3/Laing DDC 18w/Single Bay Res
    Zalman 6fan controller/Card reader and floppy drive

Vista Ultimate rocks with 8GB

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWDG View Post
    ahh man.. that sucks!
    So no mosfet blocks? Surely someone somewhere must have made a few?
    possibly, but i dont know who usually does those...
    i think the spacing of the main row of the pwm is the same as on blackops and avenger, but im not 100% sure...
    no its not the same, just very similar...

i can give you the meassurements if you want to, so you can contact some block makers and ask them to build a block for you
    but i really dont think its necessary, the pwm doesnt get that hot, as long as there is some airflow it should be fine... and actually even without airflow it might be ok since the nb is watercooled i suppose, so then it cools the pwm via the heatpipe! that was the whole point of having the central copper base on the nb hooked up to the nb and sb via heatpipes

OCZ Vendetta 2 replacement with better clearance

OCZ Vendetta 2, impressed by its performance. But clearance from the stock NB-fan is bad. (See the pictures.)
    The problem with the Vendetta 2 and the NB-HSF is that the Vendetta covers both holes in the long side of the NB heathsink. I need one of them to screw on the NB heathsink fan.
    I tried a Spire 40x40x20 mm fan SP04020S1H3 instead of the stock NB-fan, but the performance was far worse. About 8°C more at idle even though it covered a lot more of the NB-tub.

In August 2008 I started building my new box (see signature) with 4GB. (I moved the graphics card from the blue PCI-e slot to the red PCI-e slot.)
    Despite the less than stellar positioning of the stock NB-fan, I eventually managed a stable overclock : EDIT2: FSB@440Mhz, CPU@3740Mhz (x8.5), and 4GB RAM@1760Mhz (x4).
    (Well actually it seems stable to me with IntelBurnTest/Linpack, but I'm a noob. First proper attempt at a serious overclock.)

One of the last days of January 2009, I added another 4GB of the same memory. I'm having major trouble ever since getting things stable. EDIT1: With RAM at 1600Mhz, 1700Mhz, or 1780Mhz
    I wanted to cool the NB better. So I turned the Vendetta 2 by 90°, but that hurt it's performance. About 5°C higher at idle. I tried this twice, thinking I didn't apply the cooling paste correctly. It also covered some of the memory slots now.
    So first I want to replace the CPU cooler with another one which brings me better clearance so that I can properly fit the NB-fan.
    Performance and noise level will have to be at least the same or better as the OCZ Vendetta 2.
    I'm looking into getting either the Cooler Master V8 or Hyper Z600. But I want to know whether they provide enough clearance from the NB+HSF.

Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

Last edited by InToGraphics; 03-04-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: edit1: Added a 3rd picture, edit2: Corrected MHz
    |Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01|Corsair HX1000W|Foxconn BlackOps (X48)|Intel C2Q Q9550@3785Mhz|OCZ Vendetta 2|»»»» OCZ OCZ3P20004GK (2x) 8GB@1425Mhz ««««|Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 (RV670) 1GB GDDR4@stock|SAMSUNG HD642JJ 640GB (2x)|SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1TB (2x)|Hitachi HDS722516VLSA80 160GB (2x)|Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64|BENQ DW1650|Hitachi GSA-H22N|Logitech Cordless Desktop S520|HP p1230 22" CRT (2x)|

Hi all,

I saw Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer in the compatible list and I'd just like to confirm there are no issues using this cooler when also using the included NB Fan, and also is memory slot 1 also usable with this cooler, thanks.

Anyone know if the Xigmatek Thor's Hammer would fit? I plan to use the included NB fan.

Xtreme Member
    I think you'll need a bigger fan for "Thor's Hammer". :p
    BLACKOPS mobo., 4 GB Corsair xms3 XMP DDR3 RAM @1333 7-7-7-20, seagate 'cuda v11, 1TB, Q9650 @ 3.7, Megahalems cooler, corsair HX620 PSU, Galaxy 9800 GT. Win 7 HP 64. Intel X25-M G1 80 GB ssd

haha, Im so sorry Spork! I mean to use the included NB fan on the Northbridge ofcourse, and I was only wondering if the Hammer would fit even if I use the NB fan on the NB. For that matter Im wondering about all the heatsinks in the compatibility list, if they were tested with the fan attached to the NB, and what orientation were they tested with. This is very important, you cant just say it's compatible and leave the details out. For example, someone posted Core-Contact Freezer as compatible, and someone else on another thread complains that it is not. so if someone can please step up and help... It sure would save me some money by not having to buy more than 1 heatsink if the 1st one does not work.

Xtreme Member
    With my TRUE I have it seated so the fan exhausts down, this allows the 120mm fan to be moved proud of the top of the TRUE to accommodate the NB fan, it doesn't fit with the TRUE in the other orientation (Exhausting to the rear) as the NB fan profile is too high and you can't seat the TRUE, it is the solution I settled on after my posts on page 1.

I don't know about the other coolers though, sorry.

Thanks Wotcher, you're the first to actually give me a very clear answer. Much appreciated.

I am Xtreme
    Hello everyone!! About to purchase a blackops(with neweggs pricing ) for my old x3210. Does anyone know if the apogee gt water block will work on this board?
    i7 920 oc'd 4.25ghz
    Asus P6T mobo
    12 gig Patriot ddr3 1333 oc'd 1611 ghz
    EVGA GTX 260 x2 sli
    EK Supreme cpu block
    MCP655 pump
    TC 120.3 rad
    Swiftech MCR-220
    Swiftech micro res 2
    MM U2-UFO CYO
    PCP Cooling 750W Silencer
    Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Has anyone else actually plugged in the 120mm fan that comes with the blackops? I put it in some spare drive bays for extra case airflow - it moves a lot of air BUT - holy crap that thing is LOUD. Have it running from mobo, not psu, so in BIOS used fan control to slow it down to %40, no louder than my other case fans now.
    Next time my wife breaks the vacuum cleaner I know an alternative!
    BLACKOPS mobo., 4 GB Corsair xms3 XMP DDR3 RAM @1333 7-7-7-20, seagate 'cuda v11, 1TB, Q9650 @ 3.7, Megahalems cooler, corsair HX620 PSU, Galaxy 9800 GT. Win 7 HP 64. Intel X25-M G1 80 GB ssd

Ok, now I need to know if Prolimatech Megahalems will fit, I only want to mount it with the fan blowing to the back. are there any clearance issues?

Quote Originally Posted by 4PLaY View Post
    Ok, now I need to know if Prolimatech Megahalems will fit, I only want to mount it with the fan blowing to the back. are there any clearance issues?
    I asked before but no one answered.
    I'm interested in both mounting directions -- blowing out back and top.

It looks like if you mount it blowing out back, the heatsink won't work with that NB fan there.

I've confirmed a few things via email inquiry to prolimatech, what i'm worried about now though is... you notice the line of capacitors near the PWM.. Im worried I wont be able to even fit the mounting bracket there, but here's our email correspondence.

Read: from bottom to top
    Code:
    Re: Inquire about Megahalems?
    Sent: 	Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:13:24 AM
    To: 	XXX (XXX@msn.com)
    Hi

The limited stature of northbridge is 40 mm.
    Megahalems is compatible with a northbridge under this stature.

Best regards,
    Minna Yu
    Prolimatech

To: sc.yu@prolimatech.com
        Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 11:49 PM
        Subject: RE: Inquire about Megahalems

is it also possible to install it vertically?

To: XXX@msn.com
        Subject: Re: Inquire about Megahalems
        Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:13:01 +0800

Hi,

Thank you for writing us.
        Yes, Megahalems is compatible with this borad.
        We suggest you installing Magahalems horizontally (parallel with the north bridge) so that it won't be collided by the extra rigs on the north bridge.
        Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Best regards,
        Minna Yu
        Prolimatech

Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:31 AM
            To: prolima.com@msa.hinet.net
            Subject: Inquire about Megahalems

Hi,

I'd need to know and confirm for sure if the Megahalems will support the Foxconn Blackops motherboard.

thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast