Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: 4870 Overclocking Thread

Xtreme Member
    @ Sniipe, I see you cut the stock cooler to still have the fan blowing on the mem (excellent idea btw). Do you have any temps with the half cut stock fan off the card? Just curious about it's necessity/temps/noise.
    "The only solid piece of scientific truth about which I feel totally confident is that we are profoundly ignorant about nature...It is this sudden confrontation with the depth and scope of ignorance that represents the most significant contribution of 20th century science to the human intellect."
    -Lewis Thomas, The Medusa and the Snail

"The best definition we have found for civilization is that civilized man does what is best for all, the savage does what is best for himself."
    -Edwin Hubble

H.E.A.T
    MarioKart FID-0774-5798-8330

how hot does your core/gpu vrm and memorychips run?

some pretty nice modding you've done there

Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    yeah 1000 mhz is fine for me, no artifcats. I have found that at stock a lower mem clock allows for higher core clock.
    Like this:
    -I can boot and run vantage at 865/1100
    -I can boot and run vantage at 875/1050

-I cannot boot and run vatage at 875/1100, it just doesnt stay stable and "display driver has stopped responding" comes up

@ NKD thanks for letting me know, this explains why you have a higher vantage score than me even though i am at higher GFX and CPU clocks.

It's the operating system, stupid.

----------

on another note, i just got shipped notification on my second 4870from RMA

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diablos View Post

Have you voltmodded it?

Also is there a fps cap on aquamark as I cant get above 180fps no matter what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Willhub View Post
    Have you voltmodded it?

Also is there a fps cap on aquamark as I cant get above 180fps no matter what I do.
    you probably have a dud clocker. overclocking is a gamble and not all cards will reach high speeds.

its possible temps are holding you back since you are on the stock cooler still.
    Opteron 170@ 265 x 10 @1.375v
    Asrock 939N68PV-GLAN, GEIL 2gb 400mhz ram
    8800GT accelero s1, XP X64. Antec p182 mini
    velociraptor 150gb, Corsair 620w

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    yes there is a pencil mem mod, i will be testing that one sometime in the next week

here are the pics from my voltmod (quoted from voltod thread) there is very little danger involved in this mod compared to other videocard voltmods because the contact for VDDC is isolated away from others, the only issue is that the contack is VERY small and thus it is hard to get a sufficient bead of solder attached securely.
    Thanks for the concise photos

waiting for the TR TRAD 2 to come out with some nice highflow 120' fan should be more then enough for some voltage bumping.

The stock cooler isnt bad at all, my idles are 38c now and load is under 50 after just putting MX-2 on the chip. Wonder how it will scale on air with some extra voltage. Did you run test with increased voltage on air to check temps. should not be a huge difference on air between water
    ~

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willhub View Post
    Have you voltmodded it?

no mod

Xtreme Member
    I want to mod the bios, get the fan fixed and up the voltage, dont think the stock cooler iwll be a problem, it idles at 64 degrees with the fan silent and at 35% fan its fine too as I have the side of the case off. Thinking of getting an S1 but I know temps are not holding it back as of yet.

Dont know if stable yet but ran a benchmark at 810/900 and it compleated 3 loops of crysis, same as 820/900.

Ok compleated 10 loops of crysis benchmark at 820/900, 825 did not even last 10 seconds so it needs more voltage, wth ram overclock max is 790/1050.
    Last edited by Willhub; 07-12-2008 at 04:32 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I reflashed my Bios with Winflash to change the fan speed.(I got in trouble last time I did this). No problems today and I used the look up table option so the speed would ramp up as temps increase.

Mostly the temps stayed in the 60's when loaded and the fan was running at 37 percent. I left the voltage alone.

First I tried raising the core clock and I got to 885 and the system locked. I had tested at 875/900 for about 5 minutes and didn't see any artifacts just before raising it to 885 and crashing.

Next I wanted to see how far the memory would go so I left the GPU at 800 and started ramping up the memory. I was surprised at how well this card clocks especially after initial reports on the 4870 indicated that it wouldn't be a good overclocker. This time the memory went to 1210 before my sceen started breaking apart. I ran at 800/1200 loaded for about 5 minutes with no visible artifacts.

I think I can easily run at 850/1150. I'm going to load Crysis on this machine and see how it does. This machine is on a DFI motherboard with an Opty 185 at 2.75 Ghz. I had to RMA my P5e Motherboard and won't be able to test with my q9450 until I get a new motherboard. I have a 790i machine but I dont want to load ATI drivers on that machine.

It seems like everything works easier with XP than V64 so maybe I can get my Bios the way I want it with XP before I put the card back on the P5e. I am still just amazed at how fast this card will clock. It is tempting to add a little voltage, but I've already had one scare with this card and would like to actually play a few games with it. I've mostly just been testing and fixing so far.
    EVGA X58 Classified-Win 7 RC 64
    Corsair HX1000
    Mushkin Redline 6-7-6-18
    EVGA 295x2 Aqua blocks
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    i7 920 D0 - HK V3
    Thermochill 2x120
    XSPC RX 360
    Vertex 120, Velociraptor 300

so far this is my best run

By rangerone7669 at 2008-07-12
    2600k @ 5.0, msi z68-gd65, evga gtx 470, 4x2gig Mushkin Redline 1886, 3x74gig raptors in raid0, pa120.3 push/pull, d5, swiftech apogee HD

My score with sapphire HD4870 .
    Ps: watercooling with D-tek Fuzion V1 and Mc8800 for ram and mosfets.(no voltmod)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Farcas is that the max you can get without voltmod?

Can't wait to see what you can get when you voltmod

That's the best so far I believe and you seem to have alot more room on temps.

My highest OC so far (using AC Accelero S1 with fans + no Vmod):

For some strange reason I get a better score with mem @ 1100:

Xtreme Addict
    Okay, one question: Is it possible to alter fan speeds without BIOS flashing if you try to OC above 790MHz (need overdrive off) ?
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    Okay, one question: Is it possible to alter fan speeds without BIOS flashing if you try to OC above 790MHz (need overdrive off) ?
    Not as of yet...unless you just pull the RPM control wire from the fan header, making it run at 100% all the time. You need overdrive on to do the profile-based fan fix.
    3800 X2 @ 2.7GHz
    DFI nf4 SLI-D
    2x1gb GSkill ZX
    TT Sonic Tower
    Visiontek 4850
    X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Corsair 750TX

Xtreme Addict
    I see, thanks. I think I'll restrain myself from flashing the BIOS and voiding my warranty for some time, I think custom fan controls should be available as 3rd party products soon enough.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

it is possible! I use AMD GPU CLOCK TOOL to set clock speeds and then load up modified ccc profile with the desired fanspeed. Before you do this you should modify your profile file by delete the part on top of the list whicj contains the stock speeds ( 750 900 thingy on 4870. works wonders Though i cant get my card past 830/1050 without getting some artifeacts in atitool in about 4/5 minutes. It also doesnt help if i set fanspeed to 70%.
    ps are somewhere @ 50-60 @ load on 70%
    Would it help to get a HR-03 GT?

Xtreme Addict
    That's the most straightforward solution I've ever seen

So wait, things I have to do in order:

1. Modify the profile by deleting the clock speed part of the file
    2. Modify clocks with AMD GPU CLOCK
    3. Load up the profile?

I'll give it a go and inform you of the results, thanks!
    Last edited by annihilat0r; 07-14-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Okay, I did what you said and after I loaded up the profile my clocks remained at 800MHz but the fanspeed failed to match the one in the profile I loaded. What am I doing wrong?

ok now the full manual :P

1. make a ccc profile
    2. edit the profile with the usual fan hack
    3. remove the default clockspeed thingy
    4. save it
    5. start AMD tool and set the clockspeed you want
    6. CLOSE AMD TOOL AS IT DISABLES CCC!
    7. then load up CCC profile with fanspeed and without stock speed
    8. Joy!

for those who want it the easy way. Here is the part from my profile section in the XML file. with 30% fanspeed and removed stock speeds. For 4870

Code:
    <Profile>
      <Caste name="Graphics">
        <Groups>
          <Group name="Overdrive5">
            <Feature name="TimeUnlocked" />
            <Feature name="OverclockEnabled">
              <Property name="OverclockEnabledProperty" value="True" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
              <Property name="Want_0" value="1263" />
              <Property name="Want_1" value="1263" />
              <Property name="Want_2" value="1263" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_0">
              <Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
              <Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
              <Property name="Want_2" value="0" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
              <Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
              <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="manual" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
              <Property name="Want" value="0" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
              <Property name="Want" value="30" />
            </Feature>
          </Group>
        </Groups>

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I oc'ed both cards to 820/1050 (no voltage needed) with AMD GPU Tool to see what gains i would get in 3dmark06. To my surprise, i gained only ~200points or so. Is this normal?

I didn't do the profile thingy btw, but gpu-z reported the 820/1050 freq's correctly for both cards.
    Intel i7 920 d0 @ 4410MHz @ 1.36v :: Prolimatech Mega Shadow :: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 F9K :: 6GB Mushkin XP3-15000 :: HIS 5870 :: Corsair 1000W :: HannsG 27.5" :: Lian Li V1010B

Quote Originally Posted by painkilla View Post
    it is possible! I use AMD GPU CLOCK TOOL to set clock speeds and then load up modified ccc profile with the desired fanspeed. Before you do this you should modify your profile file by delete the part on top of the list whicj contains the stock speeds ( 750 900 thingy on 4870. works wonders Though i cant get my card past 830/1050 without getting some artifeacts in atitool in about 4/5 minutes. It also doesnt help if i set fanspeed to 70%.
    Does powerplay still work using this method? Thanks by the way!
    Intel Q6600 / Asus Rampage Formula / 4gb Transcend AxeRam DDR2-1200 / HIS HD 4870/ PcPower&Cooling 750Quad / 36gb Raptor -150gb Raptor - 750gb Seagate / LianLi V1000B Plus II / Zalmann 9700 / Vista 64bit

I am Xtreme
    ok now the full manual :P

1. make a ccc profile
    2. edit the profile with the usual fan hack
    3. remove the default clockspeed thingy
    4. save it
    5. start AMD tool and set the clockspeed you want
    6. CLOSE AMD TOOL AS IT DISABLES CCC!
    7. then load up CCC profile with fanspeed and without stock speed
    8. Joy!

for those who want it the easy way. Here is the part from my profile section in the XML file. with 30&#37; fanspeed and removed stock speeds. For 4870

Code:
    <Profile>
      <Caste name="Graphics">
        <Groups>
          <Group name="Overdrive5">
            <Feature name="TimeUnlocked" />
            <Feature name="OverclockEnabled">
              <Property name="OverclockEnabledProperty" value="True" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
              <Property name="Want_0" value="1263" />
              <Property name="Want_1" value="1263" />
              <Property name="Want_2" value="1263" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_0">
              <Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
              <Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
              <Property name="Want_2" value="0" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
              <Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
              <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="manual" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
              <Property name="Want" value="0" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
              <Property name="Want" value="30" />
            </Feature>
          </Group>
        </Groups>
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting. Could you provide a link to this information? I want to be sure I completely understand it.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 07-14-2008 at 01:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    If I set GPU speed to over 790/1100 and try to go back to CCC, the option to set clocks and fan is now locked. The application does not want to run when the card is clocked higher than it allows.

I just flashed the BIOS and put in a custom fan profile. You can then set the clock speed to whatever you want and not even use CCC. In fact I turn off CCC now.

I've been able to clock my card pretty high when just testing with ATI tool(around 870/1250), but about the best I can use in games without some sort or problem is 820/1175. If I go over 820 gpu, I get a crash or freeze after some period of time. If I go to 1185 mem, then I get artifacts. I haven't tested with FurMark which will stress the card more than Crisis or Mass Effect, but I have read where it FurMark has killed some cards. As long as I can play games without error, I really don't care.
    EVGA X58 Classified-Win 7 RC 64
    Corsair HX1000
    Mushkin Redline 6-7-6-18
    EVGA 295x2 Aqua blocks
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    i7 920 D0 - HK V3
    Thermochill 2x120
    XSPC RX 360
    Vertex 120, Velociraptor 300

it is possible! I use AMD GPU CLOCK TOOL to set clock speeds and then load up modified ccc profile with the desired fanspeed. Before you do this you should modify your profile file by delete the part on top of the list whicj contains the stock speeds ( 750 900 thingy on 4870. works wonders Though i cant get my card past 830/1050 without getting some artifeacts in atitool in about 4/5 minutes. It also doesnt help if i set fanspeed to 70&#37;.
    Did exactly as you said. Didn't work. Sure you didn't miss anything? Could you possibly post a pic of it working?
    Last edited by erocker; 07-14-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    Intel Q6600 / Asus Rampage Formula / 4gb Transcend AxeRam DDR2-1200 / HIS HD 4870/ PcPower&Cooling 750Quad / 36gb Raptor -150gb Raptor - 750gb Seagate / LianLi V1000B Plus II / Zalmann 9700 / Vista 64bit

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast