Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White dots in game

Quote Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
    T.I.M. = Thermal Interface Material
    MX-2 Not only is it (supposedly) one of the best thermal compounds on the market but it also boasts high thermal conductivity, no curing time and it is does not have any electrical conductivity. hmmm i guess gpu may be damaged or one of the mounting screws is shorting out the multilayer PCB. posible to use nylon 4-40 screws & nuts

oh forgot to ask if gotten current chipset drivers for your motherboard, also in bios any setting for single/dual gpu's?
    thanks for the info.
    hope my GPU isn't damaged if it were I think alot of games will show corruption. one thing I need to check (nobody has answered) is if 3Dmark06 BE uses both GPU like crysis since it may be one GPU or Mem set which is damaged therefore explaining why I dont get problems in other games.
    I'm using using the latest drivers I think no dual GPU option in bios dont think it will be a problem anyway since the 3870x2 is a 2gpu single card solution and daimler is using a single 4850.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 71 (Bryan) View Post
    if they are all ok try a newer/older driver for your card to see if its just a driver issue
    Generally yes, that's what I would have suggested too BUT if it's a new card the drivers might not have had all their bug fixes (old and new) or it could be an old design issue in the driver that was only recently discovered with this game (since it's the first one to use the new function or a similar thing)

If this is already a known issue at the game/card manufacturer a quick email to their support should confirm this (sometimes the forum too)

Okay, I've installed Crysis on my WinXP 32Bit - everything is great - no dots visible both in Crysis ver1.0 and 1.2 (with Catalyst 8.6 and hotfix Catalyst 8.6).
    So I guess it's Vista 64bit issue.
    Maybe Crysis engine renders shadows on CPU? Then 64bit or CPU overclocking can be the source of the dots. I'll test CPU downclock later

Xtreme Member
    it could be windows wow (windows on windows) compatibility issues.
    Windows Wow emulates 32 bit windows

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I doubt it's a hardware issue. The fact the dots are showing up in your PrtScrn means that the corruption is probably occurring on the software side - Windows in the screen capture process is merely taking a snapshot of the rendering data to be painted on the monitor, not sending queries to the monitor to see what each pixel colour is. Corruption caused by hardware issues usually doesn't show in PrtScrn caps, because the data stream is intact, the card merely mangles it in its display.

I'd be looking at software incompatibilities - do the problems still show when you change in-game settings?
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    it's a new game, it's not an old game that requires compatibility settings.
    besides the game works, compatibility settings aren't suppose to fix THAT KIND of problems

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by shachar2 View Post
    it's a new game, it's not an old game that requires compatibility settings.
    besides the game works, compatibility settings aren't suppose to fix THAT KIND of problems
    Oh? Have you ever tried running Crysis on a Crossfire setup? Just because a game is new does not mean that it is bug-free, and just because the game "runs" does not mean that there are not incompatibilities - glitches and bugs between a game and certain graphics drivers being a prime example.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Member
    windows compatibility mode (xp and vista later on) was born because of changes in the os that might cause OLD programs to STOP working (completely).
    THAT'S why you have compatibility mode to windows 98 and the rest in xp

that's why I doubt it will work. you can try it but if it's a driver/game issue windows compatibility isn't likely to solve it

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by shachar2 View Post
    windows compatibility mode (xp and vista later on) was born because of changes in the os that might cause OLD programs to STOP working (completely).
    THAT'S why you have compatibility mode to windows 98 and the rest in xp

that's why I doubt it will work. you can try it but if it's a driver/game issue windows compatibility isn't likely to solve it
    Wait what? When were Windows "Run in compatibility mode" settings mentioned? What's that got to do with anything?
    Rig specs

Xtreme Member
    ok it goes like this: KaptCrunch mentioned that there's compatibility settings
    I said that it's a new game, not an old one that requires this compatibility settings.
    and you said that because the game is new it doesn't mean that the game can't have incompatibilities (in driver etc)
    I thought you're talking about compatibility mode and said that the compatibility mode was first 'invented' for something else not for those kind of problems

it's just this game of someone whispering a story to someone then that someone whisper it to someone else and in the end you've got a twisted story then the original

Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    I doubt it's a hardware issue. The fact the dots are showing up in your PrtScrn means that the corruption is probably occurring on the software side - Windows in the screen capture process is merely taking a snapshot of the rendering data to be painted on the monitor, not sending queries to the monitor to see what each pixel colour is. Corruption caused by hardware issues usually doesn't show in PrtScrn caps, because the data stream is intact, the card merely mangles it in its display.

I'd be looking at software incompatibilities - do the problems still show when you change in-game settings?
    I would have thought that Prtscrn will show corruption if the hardware fault is the graphics card , but not if its a monitor/cable fault.
    Daimler I tried older versions of crysis but of course I forgot there was a more serious bug in the old version where shadows, clouds and trees flashed like crazy I cant spot the white dots because of this. One thing that is different between using win XP and Vista may be DX10 I will try and run it in DX9 in vista64. Did you run the memtest with the GPU stressed if not can you try it or give me a link to the program (it will have to be crossfire compatible though).

Cue I've already done it. When running in DX9 mode under Vista - no dots visible.
    I also tried to launch 32-bit version of Crysis instead of 64-bit under the Vista x64 and it made no difference - white dots are still visible.
    Video Memory test is useless when the Crysis is loaded - because testing can only be performed on the free - not used memory.
    All this gives no clue of what is the cause. I'm really confused. One more thing is that i get much lower results in Crysis GPU test under DX10 then any other 4850 users. There is definitely something wrong and it affects not only the visuals but the speed too.
    I have that weird feeling that it might be something wrong with an overall system setup or hardware. Plz post your system specs.

Intel Core2 Duo E4300 BOX @ 3006Mhz (334x9)
    Gigabyte P965-S3
    1024Mbx2 DDR2-667 Hynix + 2048Mb DDR2-800 TakeMS
    MSI Radeon HD4850 512Mb
    HDD Samsung 501LJ 500Gbx2 SATA 16Mb cash

Intel Quad Q9450 (stock: please dont ban)
    Asus P5E3 Premium @n
    8GB DDR3 4x2GB Corsair 1600Mhz
    ASUS EAH3870X2 1GB
    1TB Samsung SataII drive 8.5ms

what are your ram timings that may be the problem perhaps, I'll dig mine out I remember they weren't very good for me.

The GPU tests that you compared yours to, are you sure they are under DX10? DX9 gives better results so alot of people run it under that and post up their results. I'm somewhat relieved by the DX9 results since it makes it less likely to be a hardware fault and more a driver one.

f*ck! turned on PC today to a BSOD windows advice was to try another video adapter among other things. it made a crash dump, how can I find out what went wrong? windows keeps blue screening but linux is fine.
    WTF I did many things yesterday trying to redo them to find out if it helps.

edit: more info
    safe mode works fine.
    one thing I changed yesterday was my windows experience index it kept saying "found new hardware index out of date" since I had been on a dual core a few months ago. I kept pressing "refresh now" but it ran the tests, index did not change and still gave me "out of date refresh now". so on the microsoft site it recommended that I delete the xml files in data store or something like that. did that ran tests again and presto 5.9 and not out of date anymore, turned of PC. turned on PC today blue screen, restart to check boot

speed:2.66Ghz count:2!!!!! WTF 2!!!!!! its a quad core I'm almost certain it was 4 before. on top of that memory speed was 1066Mhz which I think was 1600Mhz before but not certain.
    when in linux all 4 CPU show in system monitor.

I'm lost, truly lost. I apologies if this is off topic but it may have something to do with the problem.
    Last edited by Cue; 07-06-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I think it's this one: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...nstallx86.mspx

you install it, open the dump file with it and it give you the suspected file that caused the problem

I did a system restore and everything is back up except my Win Exp index is back to its old ways. anyway I tried to open the crash dump in windbg (thanks shachar2) and it says you do not have premission to open this file, im the admin I can do what I please, why doesnt it let me look at it.
    anyway after the system restore I get even worse graphics problems now I'll post up a vid printscreen doesnt show anything.

edit
    Changed owner and premissions

Not sure what the bug is but it has something to do with my built in Realtek NIC

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
    This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
    that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
    is always instant death (double fault). The first number in the
    bugcheck params is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc)
    Consult an Intel x86 family manual to learn more about what these
    traps are. Here is a *portion* of those codes:
    If kv shows a taskGate
    use .tss on the part before the colon, then kv.
    Else if kv shows a trapframe
    use .trap on that value
    Else
    .trap on the appropriate frame will show where the trap was taken
    (on x86, this will be the ebp that goes with the procedure KiTrap)
    Endif
    kb will then show the corrected stack.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000008, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT
    Arg2: 0000000080050031
    Arg3: 00000000000006f8
    Arg4: fffffa600237f048
    Last edited by Cue; 07-07-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Xtreme Member
    it's as clear as black text on gray background.
    I haven't used the tool much, if it says it's the nic card try changing the driver maybe going to windows default driver (I learned it the hard way a few years ago that the windows default driver out of the box is the most stable one)

Xtreme Member
    What VDDC Slave temperatures do you experience while playing games or running something like ATi Tool on one GPU? Mine seem pretty high sometimes.. 60-70c. I think I might need to remount my block.
    Nergal: Coolermaster Stacker STC-01, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 w/ EK Waterblock, AMD Phenom x6 1090T @ (4.1GHz, 2400MHz HT-Link, 3000MHz CPU-NB) w/ Swiftech Apogee XT, G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (4x4GB) @ 7-8-8-24 1600MHz, 3x Radeon 5870 (2 w/ Swiftech MCW-82, 1 w/ Zalman VF3000A), OCZ X3 2000w, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM in RAID1, 4x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 5900RPM in RAID10, ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Swiftech MCR320-QP Radiator, Swiftech MCP655-B Pump, Windows Server 2008 R2

Death: Antec One Hundred Ice, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5, Phenom x4 840 @ 4GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH (2x2GB), Gigabyte Radeon 5870 under Zalman VF3000A, XFX Radeon 5850, Asus 5850 DirectCU, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200RPM(Windows 7 Enterprise), Western Digital Raptor 150GB (CentOS 6.2)

Xtreme Member
    the latest ati card 4850 with stock cooling reaches 87 degrees c. that's really close to boiling point.

you know? if they make the cpu/gpu a lot bigger we might be able to cook on them. that will save on gas/electricity.
    any engineer wanna try at a cpu/gpu to a pan mod?

Ok I cleared up the intro video problems by a fresh new start (format hdd reinstall vista) but I'm slightly worried about why it started in the first place I had changed nothing when it started no codec change NOTHING. I had very garbled videos in the intro (EA logo, crytek logo, Nvidia and intel adverts) then in the menu the background vid stuttered like crazy all while the Graphics card emmited an electrical buzzing sound.

I check my PSU specs and there are 6x12v rails in total all these rails can provide 92A with a max of 20A for each rail.

Rail 1
    on one rail I currently have 6 fans, a Tbalancer mcubed with sensor hub, HD-DVD/Blueray burner, and my SATAII drive.

Rail 2
    on another rail I have the 6 pin and 8 pin for the Graphics card.

Rail 3
    Motherboard rail

can this be to much for the PSU? I noticed that in GPU-z that it has upto 30A on one GPU and 5A on the other. but the max for one rail is 20A so I used 2 different rails for the 6 pin and 8pin, do you recommend this or am I being stupid?

Daimler with the fresh restart I installed the new drivers and they give lower performance in crysis than older ones in fact I remember reading an article about this. I think it irons out alot of bugs the downside being a hit in performance.

pic of my setup
    and ramsinks on the GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by TyphooN View Post
    What VDDC Slave temperatures do you experience while playing games or running something like ATi Tool on one GPU? Mine seem pretty high sometimes.. 60-70c. I think I might need to remount my block.
    I get around the same. Is that too high, I dont even know what temp it is refering to what exactly is the VDDC. I'm guesing its like core temps right?

Edit: I can't run ATI tool because its not vista64 compatible I think. Or do you have it on vista64?
    Last edited by Cue; 07-11-2008 at 06:12 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I can run ati tool, but it only runs on 1 of the gpus. I was just wondering though because it is an easy way for me to check vddc temps on one gpu. I think the vddc is a part of the voltage regulation.
    Nergal: Coolermaster Stacker STC-01, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 w/ EK Waterblock, AMD Phenom x6 1090T @ (4.1GHz, 2400MHz HT-Link, 3000MHz CPU-NB) w/ Swiftech Apogee XT, G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (4x4GB) @ 7-8-8-24 1600MHz, 3x Radeon 5870 (2 w/ Swiftech MCW-82, 1 w/ Zalman VF3000A), OCZ X3 2000w, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM in RAID1, 4x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 5900RPM in RAID10, ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Swiftech MCR320-QP Radiator, Swiftech MCP655-B Pump, Windows Server 2008 R2

Death: Antec One Hundred Ice, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5, Phenom x4 840 @ 4GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH (2x2GB), Gigabyte Radeon 5870 under Zalman VF3000A, XFX Radeon 5850, Asus 5850 DirectCU, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200RPM(Windows 7 Enterprise), Western Digital Raptor 150GB (CentOS 6.2)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12