Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Memory Latency Timings

Question Old Memory Latency Timings

Hey. My computer is an old Pentium 4 based system I built four years ago (I'm 18, in need of a laptop for college, and not getting all too much money, so it's going to be a while before I have the money to build a nice new desktop). The motherboard is an AOpen AX4C Max (Bios Version 1.14), loaded with a Northwood 3.0Ghz (soon to be upgraded to a 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition, just waiting for some new cooling supplies to arrive) and 1Gb (again, soon to be upgraded because of how long it's going to be until I build a new system) of Kingston HyperX PC3200 DDR Ram (khx3200AK2/1G). Anyways, latency timings on the ram are 2-3-2-6 at the standard 2.6v according to Kingston's website; however the bios defaults at 2.5-3-3-8 when set by spd. With these settings, I have no errors in memtest86+, however, if I set the timings to the Kinston timings stated above, I get a ton of errors starting from test #7 (random number test). At the moment, nothing on my system is overclocked. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some extra information:

The system does get an occasional Driver IRQL Not Less Than or Equal BSOD.

When I first built the system, I accidently installed the ram in slots 0 and 1 as opposed to 0 and 2 as it should've been. I quickly realized my stupid mistake and corrected this a few days later. Again, when I let the bios set the timings by spd, there are no errors in memtest86+

Airflow around my RAM is pretty good. My case (Aspire X-Dreamer) is full of fans (most of which I usualy keep at 5v because more power/noise just isn't necessary at most times). There's a fair amount of cables around the memory, but nothing that would cause a risk of a build up of heat around the memory, not that I would worry about this too much with my old DDR1 memory lol.

I have no idea why I waited this long to try to fix this...

Sorry for the length of this post...

I am Xtreme
    lol - ironically I have the same problem with an Abit IC7-Max3 & 2x1GB Corsair XMS.. I just live with it, as its not my main rig

check if u have latest mobo BIOS, add a smidge of voltage to the RAM if u can, maybe some to the northbridge as well, see how it goes.. what chipset is that mobo?

BTW
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Sorry, I should've told you that in the first place. It's an Intel 875P chipset motherboard. It was the best back then...man time flies...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    Sorry, I should've told you that in the first place. It's an Intel 875P chipset motherboard. It was the best back then...man time flies...
    sure does well, try what I suggested, report back.. hopefully some other more knowledgeable folk will reply!

heatware / ebay

Alright, will do. I might wait a day or two to try because I have a good amount of stuff to get done on my computer at the moment, but I'll post back within a few days .

Ok I tried adjusting the memory voltage (my stupid motherboard doesn't let me adjust the northbridge voltage). I tried Auto, 2.6v, 2.625v, 2.650, and 2.675v. They all had errors; however 2.675 went the longest without errors. It got about 1:40 into test #7 before it started giving errors.

I am Xtreme
    Ok I tried adjusting the memory voltage (my stupid motherboard doesn't let me adjust the northbridge voltage). I tried Auto, 2.6v, 2.625v, 2.650, and 2.675v. They all had errors; however 2.675 went the longest without errors. It got about 1:40 into test #7 before it started giving errors.
    that was with 2-3-2-6 timings?

heatware / ebay

Yeah. By the way, that pic is semi-terrifying . Adding another expansion slot...that's intense...

I am Xtreme
    Yeah. By the way, that pic is semi-terrifying . Adding another expansion slot...that's intense...
    hehe thanks!

ok, so um.. what other timings have u tried besides the 2-3-2-6 & the 2.5-3-3-8?

heatware / ebay

None, I really havn't messed with this much. Don't know why, I've always been one to mess around with things... I know once a long time ago I put in some wrong ones and I had to clear the cmos (man was that stupid jumper a pain to reach in my messy system), but I don't remember what they were. Any ideas?

I am Xtreme
    I'm not *too* knowledgeable in this area - my first suggestion would be to try: (in this order)

2-3-2- 7
    2-3-2- 8
    2-3-3- 8

test those three sets.. test them @ the 2.675V setting - ur RAM should have a lifetime warranty - does it give u a voltage range within that warranty? example, I have G.Skill 2x1GB DDR500 - its warranty covers it for 2.6V-2.8V - does urs? best way to check is on the sticker of RAM itself

heatware / ebay

Thanks. I'll try that later, I don't feel like rebooting again. I have the documentation on my memory so I'll check that before I go pulling out the ram. Look at how messy this system is (I know the quality sucks, I took the pictures with my LG Voyager because I'm too lazy to get my camera).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Computer 1 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	81741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Computer 2 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	81742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Computer 3 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	81743  
    Last edited by AudioMan612; 07-08-2008 at 11:16 PM.

I am Xtreme
    I could be wrong (knowing my luck, I will be) - but I have a gut feeling 2-3-2-7 @ 2.675V should do the trick *fingers-crossed*

heatware / ebay

Ok now the pictures are right. Like the organized cables? Every expansion slot has something in it. There are two harddrives installed, but one is unplugged because my stupid motherboard fails to detect any harddrives when I plug it in. It's a 400gb Western Digital SATA1 drive. I know this is a bit off topic, but any ideas on that? I bought it because I filled up my 160gb years ago, but I ended up buying a 500gb when my motherboard decided it didn't like me again. I know I could buy an external enclosure but I'm so lazy. With the mess it actually takes me quite a lot of time to get a harddrive in or out of my computer...

I am Xtreme
    not quite as messy as what mine used to be
    I see u have a Creative soundcard with one of them bay-drives; I've always wanted one of those (the bay-drives)

BTW: does ur BIOS give u the option of going higher than 2.675V for RAM?

heatware / ebay

I am Xtreme
    Ok now the pictures are right. Like the organized cables? Every expansion slot has something in it
    how many PCI slots u got? shouldnt u have 5? & u've used them all??

heatware / ebay

I am Xtreme
    this is what a rig of mine used to look like: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1&d=1190610968

heatware / ebay

I am Xtreme
    Ok now the pictures are right. Like the organized cables? Every expansion slot has something in it. There are two harddrives installed, but one is unplugged because my stupid motherboard fails to detect any harddrives when I plug it in. It's a 400gb Western Digital SATA1 drive. I know this is a bit off topic, but any ideas on that? I bought it because I filled up my 160gb years ago, but I ended up buying a 500gb when my motherboard decided it didn't like me again. I know I could buy an external enclosure but I'm so lazy. With the mess it actually takes me quite a lot of time to get a harddrive in or out of my computer...
    umm.. ok, questions:

how many HDDs u got in there?
    what type? (SATA / IDE)
    how many SATA ports on ur mobo?
    any PCI SATA cards installed?
    a list of the names of all SATA controllers in ur PC? - example, there will be @ least 2 SATA ports on ur mobo from the ICHR-5 southbridge (Intel).

heatware / ebay

The Sound Blaster has always made me happy. Goes quite well with my Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers.

Yes the memory voltage can be raised all the way up to 2.8. I'm just not sure how high is risky.

One of the pci slots is just used for the midi/game port bracket, but all the others are taken. Expansion slots: Switch for CCFL lighting does not alight with any expansion slots on motherboard), MSI GeForce 6800GT, MSI TV@nywhere Master TV tuner card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, Netgear 802.11G wifi card, US Robotics Performance Pro Modem (yes I had dial-up when I built this system), and the midi pass-through plate. I actually got really good dial-up speeds on that modem, but man, now that I've had high speed internet for a few years I could never go back. Another version of my motherboard, the AX4C max has 6 pci slots. Filling that would be ridiciulous.

I have 2 harddrives counting the disconnected 400gb.
    All harddrives are SATA.
    My motherboard has 4 SATA ports.
    Well I told you all my expansion cards and an SATA card isn't anywhere in there so go figure if I have one or not
    As you said, 2 of the SATA ports are from the ICHR-5, and the other two are from a Promise SATA 150 chip. I didn't find the exact model of the chip, let me know if you need it. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find things on this old crap motherboard lol.

Got enough hard drives there?

I am Xtreme
    The Sound Blaster has always made me happy. Goes quite well with my Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers.

Yes the memory voltage can be raised all the way up to 2.8. I'm just not sure how high is risky.

One of the pci slots is just used for the midi/game port bracket, but all the others are taken. Expansion slots: Switch for CCFL lighting does not alight with any expansion slots on motherboard), MSI GeForce 6800GT, MSI TV@nywhere Master TV tuner card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, Netgear 802.11G wifi card, US Robotics Performance Pro Modem (yes I had dial-up when I built this system), and the midi pass-through plate. I actually got really good dial-up speeds on that modem, but man, now that I've had high speed internet for a few years I could never go back. Another version of my motherboard, the AX4C max has 6 pci slots. Filling that would be ridiciulous.

I have 2 harddrives counting the disconnected 400gb.
    All harddrives are SATA.
    My motherboard has 4 SATA ports.
    Well I told you all my expansion cards and an SATA card isn't anywhere in there so go figure if I have one or not
    As you said, 2 of the SATA ports are from the ICHR-5, and the other two are from a Promise SATA 150 chip. I didn't find the exact model of the chip, let me know if you need it. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find things on this old crap motherboard lol.
    ok, cool!
    so which SATA port doesnt detect ur 400GB HDD?
    If u have 4 SATA ports total, & one doesnt play nice, that leaves 3 SATA ports free - which SATA port/controller is the 1st SATA HDD connected to? ICHR-5 I presume?
    On which SATA ports have u tried the 400GB?

heatware / ebay

I am Xtreme
    Got enough hard drives there?

heatware / ebay

When I plug in the 400gb drive my motherboard detects no hard drives...

Yes the first two SATA ports are from the ICHR-5. I have yet to try any of the other ports. Maybe I should've... lol.

Thanks for the quick responses by the way .

I am Xtreme
    Thanks for the quick responses by the way .
    no probs! anytime!

When I plug in the 400gb drive my motherboard detects no hard drives...

Yes the first two SATA ports are from the ICHR-5. I have yet to try any of the other ports. Maybe I should've... lol.
    yeah hehe, try the Promise SATA ports, see if the 400GB HDD plays nice with them

heatware / ebay

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast