Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Memory Latency Timings

Oh yeah. How high do you think I can take the memory voltage before it starts getting risky? I can a ram fan of some sorts if heat starts becoming an issue. I've actually been doing some research on those lately; don't know which one I want...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    Oh yeah. How high do you think I can take the memory voltage before it starts getting risky? I can a ram fan of some sorts if heat starts becoming an issue. I've actually been doing some research on those lately; don't know which one I want...
    u *should* be able to achieve whatever timings/mhz u want *without* going beyond what the warranty specifys

edit: my bad - I thought u had G.Skill RAM - they usually give a voltage range to play with.. just noticed u got Kingston - they usually dont .. umm.. does the RAM have heatspreaders on it? It would be good to find out what ICs the RAM has..

edit2: for the time being, stay under 2.8V
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Yeah it does. All HyperX memory does. I can look into G.Skill RAM when I decide to spend the money on adding more RAM to this system... I wish Corsair had made 2GB kits of their XMS 3200XL Pro RAM. It's fast and has LEDs...which I'm always happy to add to my system.

I am Xtreme
    Yeah it does. All HyperX memory does. I can look into G.Skill RAM when I decide to spend the money on adding more RAM to this system... I wish Corsair had made 2GB kits of their XMS 3200XL Pro RAM. It's fast and has LEDs...which I'm always happy to add to my system.
    oo serious?? thats no fair - I have some KingMax 2x1GB DDR500 here & its 2.6V only (sure, I can give it more V in BIOS, but that aint covered by warranty )

the Corsair? I have 2GB of that - & am awaiting another 4GB in the post

heatware / ebay

I'm not sure about the warranty, but I have heat spreaders. Heck, I would've added some by now if I didn't.

As far as I know Corsair only made 512mb sticks of that particular model, and I want to max my computer out at 4gb (yeah I know I'll only be able to use 3 :/).

Edit: I just checked the documentation on the memory and it has a lifetime warranty, but says nothing about voltage...
    Last edited by AudioMan612; 07-09-2008 at 01:07 AM.

I am Xtreme
    I'm not sure about the warranty, but I have heat spreaders. Heck, I would've added some by now if I didn't.

As far as I know Corsair only made 512mb sticks of that particular model, and I want to max my computer out at 4gb (yeah I know I'll only be able to use 3 :/).
    uno momento please!

heatware / ebay

No rush man. You've done more than enough already .

I am Xtreme

is this the stuff? it doesnt say 'XL' on there admittedly - but it is XMS Pro Cas 2 - as u can see the upper stick is 1024MB - & yes they have bling-bling LEDs

heatware / ebay

I am Xtreme
    how ironic is it: that RAM is part of a socket 478 system i have lying here:

Abit IC7-Max3
    3.4 EE
    (that RAM) - gonna add another 2GB when it arrives in post

heatware / ebay

Hmm...I'll definately look into that. I wonder if I can still get it. I didn't do all too much reasearch on memory yet. I just got back from Hawaii not too long ago and I've sort of been kicking back and not doing much on the computer except chatting and playing video games.

Evenso, I'll mess with the RAM I have right now and see if I can bring the timings down with raised voltages. Maybe I'll try different SATA ports on the hard drive too, but it will probably take me 10 minutes just to get the the stupid thing reconnected with all the mess...
    Last edited by AudioMan612; 07-09-2008 at 01:28 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Hmm...I'll definately look into that. I wonder if I can still get it. I didn't do all too much reasearch on memory yet. I just got back from Hawaii not too long ago and I've sort of been kicking back and not doing much on the computer except chatting and playing video games.
    the stuff with LEDs is pretty hard to find.. any kinda 'performance' DDR400 would be easier to find - heck I could like u to 2 fellows selling G.Skill DDR500 2x1GB kits

heatware / ebay

I am Xtreme
    Evenso, I'll mess with the RAM I have right now and see if I can bring the timings down with raised voltages. Maybe I'll try different SATA ports on the hard drive too, but it will probably take me 10 minutes just to the the stupid thing reconnected with all the mess...
    yeah, I know what u mean - its a PITA for sure!

heatware / ebay

So I finaly got around to trying your timings. I tried 2-3-3-7 at auto v, 2.675v, 2.7v, and all of the others at auto v and 2.7. All of them had errors. 2-3-2-7 made it though over 80% of the test at auto voltage, but then it started giving me errors too. That was the first test I did and it seemed to go the longest without problems. Next time I reboot I'm going to see what voltage it's using for auto.

By the way, it will probably be a while until I'm not too lazy to mess with that 400gb hard drive lol.

I am Xtreme
    So I finaly got around to trying your timings. I tried 2-3-3-7 at auto v, 2.675v, 2.7v, and all of the others at auto v and 2.7. All of them had errors. 2-3-2-7 made it though over 80% of the test at auto voltage, but then it started giving me errors too. That was the first test I did and it seemed to go the longest without problems. Next time I reboot I'm going to see what voltage it's using for auto.
    mmm... this is beginning to suck .. I wonder if u have a bad stick .. have u tried any of the tests on a single stick?

By the way, it will probably be a while until I'm not too lazy to mess with that 400gb hard drive lol.
    lol - thats cool, no rush!

heatware / ebay

Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    mmm... this is beginning to suck .. I wonder if u have a bad stick .. have u tried any of the tests on a single stick?
    No. Maybe I will sometime. I always turn my computer on out of habbit, then after its booted up and I've started up my instant messaging applications as I usually do, I realize I ment to tweak something, but I don't feel like restarting lol.

Edit: Oops, messed up the quote there .
    Last edited by AudioMan612; 07-13-2008 at 01:42 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    No. Maybe I will sometime. I always turn my computer on out of habbit, then after its booted up and I've started up my instant messaging applications as I usually do, I realize I ment to tweak something, but I don't feel like restarting lol.
    I know exactly how u feel!
    - i'm the same - hence why I either dont OC my PC at all, & if I do, its very very mildly - I hate the 'endless' rebooting-testing cycle

heatware / ebay

c[_]
    That kingston stuff should be Winbond CH-5 chips.

Feed them up to 3.0v 24/7/365 and they will go 2-3-2-5/6 forever. Can give them up to 3.3v but I wouldnt run that 24/7 on them.

BH-5 will go 2-2-2-5/6 at 3.5v

Also, put a fan over them.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    That kingston stuff should be Winbond CH-5 chips.

Feed them up to 3.0v 24/7/365 and they will go 2-3-2-5/6 forever. Can give them up to 3.3v but I wouldnt run that 24/7 on them.

BH-5 will go 2-2-2-5/6 at 3.5v

Also, put a fan over them.
    Hey! ur a Super-Mod now! cool! congrats!

thanks for helping me out with AudioMan612 as well

heatware / ebay

Too bad my bios tops out at 2.8... You sure I can take it that high? I really can't afford to damage my RAM right now lol.

I need to think of some way of mouting a fan there too. The pre-built ram fans out there don't impress me all that much.

These include: OCZ XTC Memory Cooler, Corsair Dominator Fan, Thermaltake Cyclo, CoolIt Systems Ram Fan, Vizo Armada, Evercool Neon Crab, and Super Talent Memory Cooler (though the lights on this one impress me ).

I am Xtreme
    well for the volts 'problem' - there was a OCZ product that let u give more/stabler volts:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...tic_device-eol

its EOL - they dont make it anymore, but u may be able to find one around 2nd hand (check ebay or put a wanted add here in the forums - someone may have one lying around still) - they usually get sold dirt cheap iirc - just make sure to check if its compatible with ur mobo!

as for fan - get a 80mm fan & strap it to the DIMMS with 2 rubber bands - fully ghetto, fully 'functional'

heatware / ebay

That's cool, except I won't be able to install more than 2gb of ram if I use that... Why does my motherboard hate me so much? I've been good to it lol.

Xtreme Addict
    just for the record: i wouldn't upgrade anything in that rig, especially not if you buy some p4 ee, as these cpus are single core, hot and power hungry and still sold for over 100 € here...
    save that money for your next build.
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    just for the record: i wouldn't upgrade anything in that rig, especially not if you buy some p4 ee, as these cpus are single core, hot and power hungry and still sold for over 100 € here...
    save that money for your next build.
    I got my 34ee for US$115 new!

i actually would upgrade it - the cpu is fine - i would leave it as it is, its got HT - i'd go for a generic kit of DDR400 2x1GB

heatware / ebay

I got mine for $310 lol. It's going to be a ways off until I can afford a new build, so I'm just going to max this thing out for now. I need a new laptop now that I'm going to college anyway. I'm going to finally install the new 3.4EE tomorrow.

It will probably still be a few months until I get new memory, so do you guys think I could safely take mine above 2.7v? I could install a fan with rubber bands as you stated. I was thinking of doing something like that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast