Thread: ICH9R Questions

Xtreme Member

ICH9R Questions

I have two quick questions about the ICH9R south bridge chipset.

If I take an array that was built under an ICH5R chipset, would the 9R chipset recognize it/be able to use it? I've switched from mobo to mobo that had ICH5Rs on both but never from mobo to mobo with different ICHxR chipsets. It doesnt matter too much if it doesnt, just would make my life a little easier.

Also, can the ICH9R chipset support multiple RAID arrays? IE if I had 4 harddrives and wanted to make one RAID 0 and another set RAID 1 would that work or do all drives have to be part of the same array? This is assuming enough ports to satasfy (usually most I've seen have 6 or 8).
    DFI Lanparty X48 T2r (Swiftech GTZ)
    Intel Q9450 (DD MPC)
    4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 1000
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb (EK-4870FC)
    2x 500gb SATAII RAID 0
    2x 200gb SATA RAID 1 (Back ups)
    2x 160gb SATA RAID 1 (Back ups)
    Creative X-fi Fatal1ty (Overglorified software sound in Vista...was great with XP )
    Don't Forget - The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

u can set up 4-8 raid arrays depending on the board (i know that my dfi is 8, but some boards can be 4), and u can use a raid array from an ich7r and 8r im not sure past that, but once u load it u might not beable to go back
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    ICH5R is rather old, but you can try and see if it'll recognize your existing RAID Array.
    Charles ( FUGGER ) prepared and posted a ICH9R RAID Array "Recovery" thread/guide some days ago if I recall correctly.
    Use the search function and search for the term ( keyword ) RAID and filter the results by username FUGGER.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    Ill give it a try when my board gets here. Worse comes to worse, I just plug the harddrives into another ICH5 motherboard (lord knows I have a million of tem) and then just copy the files over network.

Thanks for the info tho!
    Intel Q9450 (DD MPC)
    4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 1000
    2x 500gb SATAII RAID 0
    Creative X-fi Fatal1ty (Overglorified software sound in Vista...was great with XP )
    Don't Forget - The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Xtreme Member
    Wow. Sure enough, plugged the harddrives into the ICH9R chipset and the array was detected no problem. Didnt even have to reidentify the members of the array.

Of course Windows XP 32 bit configured for my old system didnt like my brand new system and BSOD halfway through boot :-) Oh well, installed Vista Ultimate x64
    Intel Q9450 (DD MPC)
    4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 1000
    2x 500gb SATAII RAID 0

Xtreme Member
    Sorry to spam this thread again but in case anyone else had a question down the road, it also detected a RAID 1 array built on a completely different controller (Promise). However, Windows could not read it until I rebuilt the array. Yet the controller had no problem detecting it as RAID 1.
    Intel Q9450 (DD MPC)
    4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 1000
    2x 500gb SATAII RAID 0