Thread: PSU Advice

Xtreme Member

PSU Advice

I just had a quick question regarding my Meanwell PSU. If I have a sp320-12 does this mean that I cannot exceed the 320 watts that this psu is rated at? In other words, running 2x200 watt tec's would cause troubles? I just ask because I am looking at getting better tec's than I currently have and am wondering if I should get a separate psu for each tec? Thanks in advance!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by repsol_23 View Post
    I just had a quick question regarding my Meanwell PSU. If I have a sp320-12 does this mean that I cannot exceed the 320 watts that this psu is rated at? In other words, running 2x200 watt tec's would cause troubles? I just ask because I am looking at getting better tec's than I currently have and am wondering if I should get a separate psu for each tec? Thanks in advance!!
    A 320-12 is good for 25A at 12V. Depends a lot on the TEC whether you can run 2 - most stuff around is 127 element, so a TEC rated to draw 200W at 16V will not draw 200W at 12V. If you have the TEC model number I can tell you if this will work.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    A 320-12 is good for 25A at 12V. Depends a lot on the TEC whether you can run 2 - most stuff around is 127 element, so a TEC rated to draw 200W at 16V will not draw 200W at 12V. If you have the TEC model number I can tell you if this will work.
    So am I looking at not going over the rated amperage or watts?

Well, I was looking at the tec's that you recommended in my other thread. They were:

Drift .6 for my hd3870:
    http://www.kryothermusa.com/modulez/.../Drift-0.6.pdf

and the 340 Watt from Arctic Spider for my x6800:
    http://www.arcticspider.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=63

I figured I could use my Sp320-12 for the Drift .6 and another psu (possibly sp300-36) for the 340 Watt tec. I am even considering something like sp500-24 but this would overvolt my small tec while really undervolting the other. At least to me, this doesn't seem like it would be a good way to go.

Xtreme Member

Well, I was looking at the tec's that you recommended in my other thread. They were:

Drift .6 for my hd3870:
    http://www.kryothermusa.com/modulez/.../Drift-0.6.pdf

and the 340 Watt from Arctic Spider for my x6800:
    http://www.arcticspider.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=63

I figured I could use my Sp320-12 for the Drift .6 and another psu (possibly sp300-36) for the 340 Watt tec. I am even considering something like sp500-24 but this would overvolt my small tec while really undervolting the other. At least to me, this doesn't seem like it would be a good way to go.
    The drift will do well at 12 but can run up to 24V and the 340 can go even higher. You could run both of those off a meanwell 320-12, but the 340 won't cool your x6800 at that power. For fixed voltage, run the drift at 12V and the 340 at 24V.

Are you planning on doing a voltage controller? If so you can get individual voltage for each TEC depending on the desired temp. In that case you could run them both from a 24V supply like a meanwell sp600-24.

Xtreme Addict
    Well since Amps x Volts = Watts then you can see how it's all related. Just quick calculations can give you a good indication for what your power requirements will be. So @ 340watts/12vdc you will be at 28.8 amps. Your TEC will vary on what wattage it's using though.
    Last edited by Vinas; 07-01-2008 at 07:13 AM.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    The drift will do well at 12 but can run up to 24V and the 340 can go even higher. You could run both of those off a meanwell 320-12, but the 340 won't cool your x6800 at that power. For fixed voltage, run the drift at 12V and the 340 at 24V.

Are you planning on doing a voltage controller? If so you can get individual voltage for each TEC depending on the desired temp. In that case you could run them both from a 24V supply like a meanwell sp600-24.
    Well, unfortunately I am not sure on how to build a controller. How hard is it to build a controller? I have seen on other threads your recommendations but I am not too confident in my abilities when it comes to circuits and the like!

Xtreme Member
    Well, unfortunately I am not sure on how to build a controller. How hard is it to build a controller? I have seen on other threads your recommendations but I am not too confident in my abilities when it comes to circuits and the like!
    wel lthen I would go with the max 13.5V for the drift and a 24V supply for the 340.