Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AMD/ATi HD4850/4870 Fan Fix!

Xtreme Addict
    A lower operating temperature means less white noise, and probably other phenomenon that effect the signal. A cleaner signal means less voltage, which means less power used.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    There's no such thing as a 100C CPU. Let's start talking some sense and then we will be able to understand the numbers (i.e., power leakage issues that begin to arise as nanotech fab processes shrink from 90nm to 45nm and beyond). Otherwise, the numbers make no sense to you as you bicker on.
    You never had a laptop I guess...

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAF7
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

This fan profile thing it works great on desktop. Does it work in 3d mode? If I set it to manual say 50% will it still goe automatically to 100% if needed in 3D mode?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalazin View Post
    This fan profile thing it works great on desktop. Does it work in 3d mode? If I set it to manual say 50% will it still goe automatically to 100% if needed in 3D mode?
    the fan won't speed up above what you select in the manual profile. so be careful and make sure you set it high enough. the fan will never need to go to 100% in any circumstances though. even 65% is overkill unless you're doing big overclocked benchmark runs.

i don't know about others, but the profile i pick will stay even if i reboot. i really like it. i'm using 30% for a quiet, cool desktop experience and 45% for gaming without any worries. 65% is too loud to use for anything other than benching.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks HEAPS!

Mine is at 40% and temps are 46C

Quote Originally Posted by mascaras View Post
    You will have to select the profile everytime you start the computer, but it will work until there is a fix or better info so i can figure how to change the auto target temp.

4850 Idle:81->46 excellent! (at 65% , my prev card was the X1900XT256 So I'm used to a lot of noise.. )

btw.. The profile is automatically selected each time I start my PC..

Nice info..
    My HD 4850 drop to 54 from 76 degrees with 40%..

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman787 View Post
    That's not true at all. The hotter the card the shorter it's life just like processor's.

Plus the cooler the component the less heat thats gonna be causing your case to turn into a furnace
    Uh, where do you think the heat is going from the heatsink?

Quote Originally Posted by eleeter View Post
    If we follow Ohm's law, the power consumption of the card will not change depending on temperature, assuming a consistent load.

Or to rephrase it slightly, the resistance of a graphics card stays nearly the same regardless of heat, which must mean the same power draw.

The way I understand it is, when powered on initially, the card absorbs the energy first. When it reaches it's static output/cooling point, the heat is then transferred to the surroundings. If you increase the fan speed, it means the heat is more quickly transferred to the surroundings on start up, and of course this is maintained, and the cards terminal temperature is lower. But the total heat output does not change, in fact it cannot change because it must obey Ohm's law.

But then again, I have quite a bit of electronic experience, but I am no thermal expert so I could be wrong. But to me, because the electrical energy is being turning nearly 100% into heat, it makes sense.
    I don't know about silicon but don't metals become more resistive with temperature? I know that bipolar transistor output devices can go into what they call thermal runaway where the heat causes the resistance to increase and hence to provide the same output the device must dissipate more heat and that causes a cycle of more and more heating to eventual failure. I understand that Mosfets are immune to this problem somehow.

Now making a device that is rated to run at 80C to run at 40C probably won't make a big difference. I'd get an aftermarket cooler to increase headroom for OC and to reduce noise, not so much to brag about my temp at idle.
    Last edited by sxr71; 07-03-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Fix is just great, put them on 45% and there running nice and cool now.
    Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3600MHz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme / Papst 4412F/2GL
    Asus X38 Maximus Formula SE @ 1102
    G.Skill BHZ 4096MB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 @ 2.10V
    Dual Jetway ATi HD 4850 512MB @ 750 / 1100MHz
    Triple WD 320GB S-ATA II 16MB
    Dual Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP
    Antec TruePower Quattro 1kW

My 4870 went down to 38c idle at 40% speed.

Then I went ahead and tried out my Thermalright V2 with Arctic Silver 5.
    I was amazed to see it brought it down to 32c!

I also used Enzotech BCC9 Ramsinks. But had to use some that came with the V2 because I didn't have enough.
    Edit: I forgot to mention that my air conditioner is on.
    Last edited by TheSynth; 07-03-2008 at 10:23 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I went from 82c idle to 55c at 35% (room temp is over 30c though). Any more than 40% however is too loud for me. At 50% it sounds like a vacuum cleaner and at 100% like a fighter jet taking off!

Question: Are idle clocks working as they should? When GPU activity is 0% my GPU clock drops to 500Mhz and Memory clocks stay the same.

Also, which is the best program to stress the GPU?
    Core i7 4790K // CM Hyper 212+ // Asus Z97-Pro (BIOS v.1304) // GTX 780 DCII
    Corsair XMS3 2x8GB // Intel 335 SSD (240GB) // Corsair HX650W // Lian Li PC-A10

Xtreme Addict
    nice find, will apply this edit once card is on doorstep.

hoping rivatuner 2.10 has full support of 4800 cards
    ~

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.X View Post
    I went from 82c idle to 55c at 35% (room temp is over 30c though). Any more than 40% however is too loud for me. At 50% it sounds like a vacuum cleaner and at 100% like a fighter jet taking off!

Question: Are idle clocks working as they should? When GPU activity is 0% my GPU clock drops to 500Mhz and Memory clocks stay the same.

Also, which is the best program to stress the GPU?

your idle clocks are working fine. These cards have Dynamic clock gating which monitors usage and adjust core/memory clocks and voltage to suit the demands given on the card at any given time.

and 3dmarks of course to stress your new GPU
    ~

Xtreme Member
    yep thx ....just wot my card needed !!

Xtreme Member
    Great fix. Got mine set at 35% and it's running nice and cool (winter here in Aus ).

No idea how people are running it at 65% though. I tried that to begin with and it was about 4am, so I freaked myself out and then had an "Oh crap!" moment when I thought I'd woken the person in the next room. Try explaining that one!

xStraight Edgex

Quote Originally Posted by Glyph View Post
    noise of that new drive might be deafening.

"IS THAT THE NEW 20K RAPTOR IN YOUR RIG?"

"WHAT?"

Xtreme Guru
    This fix works great, but does anyone know when the official fix is supposed to arrive? Along with the lowered idle clocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal View Post
    Great fix. Got mine set at 35% and it's running nice and cool (winter here in Aus ).

No idea how people are running it at 65% though. I tried that to begin with and it was about 4am, so I freaked myself out and then had an "Oh crap!" moment when I thought I'd woken the person in the next room. Try explaining that one!
    lol

Engineering The Xtreme
    Well i have to say the FIXED bios flash method is much better than this one, my fan is set to 20% minimum and i idle at 44C but with bios i have the ability to set fan speed slope so i can achieve minimum sound with good temp performance. my load is 55C after 1hr ATItool

i think i may end up going with some thermalright v2s for my 4870s if the thermalright t-rad doesn't come out soon :\
    Last edited by SNiiPE_DoGG; 07-04-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    which bios fix? I know that certain bioses have lowered the idle clocks, but I haven't heard of it changing the fan speed

.....}

Regards, Hans

Engineering The Xtreme
    im talking about using RBE with the correct 128k bios the one that doesnt kill the card

Xtreme Guru
    I have a 4850, not 4870

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    I cant remember where there was such a wonderful article showing the numbers and real-world benchmarks, but here's a direct quote from an Intel guy saying:

Here, a link from googling it:
    http://www.analog-europe.com/howto/208700231
    interesting tidbit :p. So keeping a cpu/gpu/whatever as cool as possible actually reduces the heat output? so its actually kinda cooling itself so to speak

sorry for offtopic..
    X3350 | DFI LP X38 T2R | d9gkx
    9800gtx | Raptor1500AHFD/5000AACS/WD3201ABYS
    Corsair 620HX | Coolermaster CM690

Xtreme Member
    I'm puzzled though. I tried the fix and it only seems to affect my first 4870. the second card still shows idle of 72C and fan speed up to 20% max.

Is there a way to ensure that both cards spin up?
    Intel i7 2600k , Asus P8P67 Pro, G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz, MSI GTX580, OCZ Vertex II 128 GB Extended, X-FI Fatality Pro, Pioneer DVR-212DBK, CM HAF-X, Seasonic M12D 850, Corsair H70, Win 7 64 Home Premium.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal View Post

lmao m8......

i just imagined it...sooo funny m8.....

@snipe dog... having some trouble getting the right clock settings with rbe1.11 as it sets some of the clocks inaccuratly to begin with..
    the clocks which are locked arnt correct and will be unlocked by default in the next version....
    so bearing that in mind i've found it difficult to get anywhere near perfect...

going to apply some mx-2 to my cards.. i'm idling 48-51 on both cards on stock tim and fan @ 40%

will update soon....
    any chance you could upload some screen shots of your clock settings in rbe..

and yes using rbe to set the fan speed is a much better fix(but it MAY effects the clocks and voltages)
    Last edited by purecain; 07-04-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast