Thread: Vista Micro-Freezes

Moral Police

Vista Micro-Freezes

Anyone else have this problem?

I am experiencing as of yesterday some weird behavior of Vista Biz.

At times it either BSOD's on me, or locks up for like 1 minute just sitting there, and then it'll finally pull through and unlock whatever it thought had crashed.

Now i've been running MEMTEST to see if it aint a hardwareproblem, but everything runs perfect hardware wise, I had my TaskManager up when it happened just now and that indicated no memory spikes (thus no memory leaks) or CPU spikes so not really a thread locking up neither, because normally that'd trigger your CPU(s) To go to 100% usage.

So i'm quite baffled right now.

Its annoying as hell if your working on projects like movie editing and I'd like to get it resolved ASAP. I checked the update log, no updates happened ytesterday, the last update was monday and the PC functioned perfectly until wednesday, thursday I wasn't on the PC so it was turned off.

Also i didn't install any new drivers or hardware since, nor did I change any settings.

Is it just vista screwing up or am I missing something here?

Attack Dachshund
    dig through event viewer, vista reports a ton more than xp.. most of my vista issues have left footprints in event viewer making detective work a little easier.. look at everything with time stamps near the lock, not just errors..

Xtreme Member
    This is probably not your problem but I guess it could be, I had a similar problem when using Cubase at work- computer locking up. The IT department linked it to an issue with the server backing up large files at the same time as you saved (periodic crashing every 10 mins was autosave) - the problem stopped when they turned off the immediate backing up. You mentioned video editing so I could see that this might involve large files too.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Entity_Razer View Post
    Anyone else have this problem?

I am experiencing as of yesterday some weird behavior of Vista Biz.

At times it either BSOD's on me, or locks up for like 1 minute just sitting there, and then it'll finally pull through and unlock whatever it thought had crashed.

Now i've been running MEMTEST to see if it aint a hardwareproblem, but everything runs perfect hardware wise, I had my TaskManager up when it happened just now and that indicated no memory spikes (thus no memory leaks) or CPU spikes so not really a thread locking up neither, because normally that'd trigger your CPU(s) To go to 100% usage.

So i'm quite baffled right now.

Its annoying as hell if your working on projects like movie editing and I'd like to get it resolved ASAP. I checked the update log, no updates happened ytesterday, the last update was monday and the PC functioned perfectly until wednesday, thursday I wasn't on the PC so it was turned off.

Also i didn't install any new drivers or hardware since, nor did I change any settings.

Is it just vista screwing up or am I missing something here?
    I've seen such behaviour on my brother's computer, both symptoms, several times a day. I didn't figure out the reason (not that I tried too much...) and thought it were drivers.

Moral Police
    I've been digging through the logs and all I can find is either a Kerberos Error that it gives, saying:
    (translated from dutch version)
    "Cannot initialise Securitypackage Kerberos for verification from server. The errorcode has been included in the datafield"

or:
    0000000002: 2008-06-29 12:04:40:675 iDEM_MVPU interface call failed
    Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.Radeon3D.Graphics.Runtime.RT_Ra deon3D::RefreshSettings processID:03192 threadIDCCCThreadNew:Runtime) domainNameCCC.exe ) assemblyNameCLI.Aspect.Radeon3D.Graphics.Runtime, Version=2.0.2813.37021, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it might be the Catalist Control Center f*gging up but I doubt it tbh. CCC's been installed since the beginning of the Vista install so I don't see how it could only now start affecting everything.

The HTTPEVentlog Kerberos error on the other hand IS a pretty "new" error to me and in the logs, but I have no idea how to fix it. All updates are installed and the rig's completely updated so...

edit:

when going to the microsoft support pages it say's the kerberos error is one that can be safely ignored. So i'm fresh out of idea's tbh.
    Last edited by Entity_Razer; 06-29-2008 at 02:43 AM.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Umm, abaut micro windows frezes, setup your L2 for os then
    http://www.bz2maps.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2389

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Since I recently did a fresh install of vista ultimate 64, I'm getting the same micro-freezes. Regardless of updates or having a perfectly fresh install, I now get these freezes.

I tried setting up the L2 cache.... set to 1000 for my q6600. Slowed everything down. Firefox loads slower and loading windows takes 3 times as long... I might do another reinstall of vista.

Its funny how my original install was fine. Only recently I've had issues and I have no hardware changes.... its a mystery.

Edit:

The micro-freezes are BAD. I right click anything and it takes 30 to 60 seconds to respond.
    Last edited by [XC] Synthetickiller; 07-27-2008 at 07:12 AM.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    i seem to be having this issue after a fresh format..

vista buisness 64
    i have a radio station playing on IE
    F@H SMP
    ATi GPU2 client

the system audio stop and stutters like a loop, and nothing works for about 10 ish seconds.. then bam, goes back to normal..

now i killed the F@H clients and so far it hasnt happened, but it has only happened twice to me..
    |Rig|Sold my monster, stuck on a Q8200 and 9500Gt with 4G of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Originally Posted by jimmyz
    This chip is gonna stop piracy like condoms prevented unwanted pregnancies and STD's.

Could the formating by vista be leaving some data on the drive from the old install and screwing things up.
    Computer#1-Intel X3360- Gigabyte X48T-DQ6- OCZ DDR3 Reaper- 2X150G Raptor & 250G Storage- Powercolor 4870x2-Antec 1000watt PS- Vista Business 64bit.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I've been formatting the drives using vista for over a year. Probably 15 times. Has only caused me problems in the last 2. I don't think its vista itself...

Running nvidia's drivers (not even cuda), i get this horrible lag. I uninstall, no issues at all, nothing. I was running these drivers before, but I just don't know anymore. I have repeated this twice and that's my issue. This is not a problem w/ xp using the same 177.35 drivers.

Its really stupid. I even get lag opening "my computer' and other things randomly....
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Cruncher
    i ran vista when i first came out and had the same issue, it would micro freeze over every little thing, often when switching tabs in opera or opening an app or window. it was pathetic so i ditched vista and am sticking with XP and kubuntu
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Xtreme Member
    well for me it stopped, turned out vista was installing windows updates in the background, once those finished... it hasnt happened since for me..

try turning off

indexing
    superfetch

?

see if it happens

This chip is gonna stop piracy like condoms prevented unwanted pregnancies and STD's.

do u have data execution bit enabled, that can couse some problems, and did u uninstall the visual c++ libraries before updating CCC
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Guvernment View Post
    well for me it stopped, turned out vista was installing windows updates in the background, once those finished... it hasnt happened since for me..

try turning off

indexing
    superfetch

?

see if it happens
    Thanks for mentioning this. I discovered my drivers were NOT an issue. I found installing vista, sp1, then letting it auto-update, then installing my video drivers.

After that, I started installing other regular programs (itunes, pidgin, etc) and everything started slowing down. Not sure why to be honest. Vista, in my experience, has not had this problem.

I turned off superfetch (indexing was off my default). I'll see what happens.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I reinstalled vista from scratch....

installed basic drivers, no sutter
    installed updates, no stutter
    installed sp1, no stutter
    started installing programs, stutter

This typically happens w/ mozilla of all things....

This doesn't make sense since my old installation of vista worked fine. If I hadn't have reformatted, there would be no microstuttering. I'm not entirely sure why its doing anything wrong. It was more stable a year ago.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    m i have FireFox 3on mine, i dont notice a slow down

what othe programs

?

i know itunes installs some backgound services with ouot asking..

go through task manager and kill any apple services....

i have vista buisness 64bit myself