Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi 4870X2(R700) PCB Debut

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    i hope that's a super-clever-chippy inbetween the gpu's

...any chance of squeezing more ram onto that card? or is it just impossible at this point?
    might not need it if it runs very well and the price is right.
    id like more ram though. maybe another edition would follow at a higher price

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    i hope that's a super-clever-chippy inbetween the gpu's

...any chance of squeezing more ram onto that card? or is it just impossible at this point?

either way; yes, i'm interested.
    thats the chip your looking at:

http://www.plxtech.com/products/expresslane/pex8648.asp

Xtreme Guru
    Hornet331
    But certainly, it does not look like a PEX 8648?
    You were not supposed to see this.

damn i see a damn hot card

hope the cooler is better than the other 40**

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So this proprietary new interprocessor communication they talked about.. Either it was a load of hype BS about a PCI-E 2.0 PLX switch, or they're saving it for R800, or.. There's more to that chip?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    So this proprietary new interprocessor communication they talked about.. Either it was a load of hype BS about a PCI-E 2.0 PLX switch, or they're saving it for R800, or.. There's more to that chip?
    I don't think that most of the communication will go through the PLX chip but rather through a direct connection between the 2 chips. That connection will probably (I'm pretty sure though) not provide enough bandwidth to make some kind of memory pool sharing possible but it will probably provide increased scaling.

@Hornet331: I think it will beat 2 4870 in CFX in most situations, it will only lose on some rare occasions.
    Dave Baumann (ATI employee) has hinted over at Beyond3d that it may not be that PLX chip that you linked to Hornet....
    Linky:
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=48691&page=8
    further down on that page.

BTW guys, I'm just speculating...I hope you guys have no objections with that .
    Last edited by Helmore; 06-28-2008 at 04:59 AM.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Addict
    As for the chip, it probably just has a metal heatspreader over it.

Not to mention all PLX chips seem to look alike.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    bohu... no surprise there, its 2xRV770... if it dont beats a single 280gtx it would be a utter failure.
    2xRV770 have a smaller die and lower TDP then the 280GTX so... bohu.
    I'm pretty sure ATI could have done a 1600 stream beast with a 700mm^2, if they wanted to.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoulz View Post
    Anyone else notice the size of the PLX chip..? I think AMD leveraged some type of their hyper-transport technology with this newer PLX chip. It would confirm the hints AMD was mentioned a few months back about a new internal bridge.
    AMD doesn't make the bridge chips but buy them from PLX Technologies. This one features 2nd generation PCI Express bridge design + next generation GPU interconnect for improved scaling.
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleZero View Post
    I'm pretty sure ATI could have done a 1600 stream beast with a 700mm^2, if they wanted to.
    I think 400 mm^2 would be a little more accurate....
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Hornet331
    But certainly, it does not look like a PEX 8648?
    *cough* IHS *cough*

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleZero View Post
    oh rly... no wai!!111

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat
    Believe me, that thing is gonna crush gtx280 so hard, even chuck n. could do that
    Do you have any info about whether this card is going to have a possible mechanism to reduce or eliminate microstuttering or multi-GPU driver issues? If not I don't think it will be beating the GTX280 in games with poor or nonexistent multi-GPU support since a single 4870 can almost never meet/beat a GTX280. OTOH, unless something goes horribly wrong the R700 certainly should utterly destroy the GTX280 in frame rates in games with multi-GPU support. In theory 2 4870s should give about the same performance as GTX260 SLI. I am really hoping that AMD/ATI is going to do something about the microstuttering issue though. Having parts of the game perform at the same level as a single card quite significantly reduces the value of multi-GPU for me.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Just thought I would point out the one CF bridge...
    Bye bye +5TFlops of GPU power.
    FYI, GPGPU calculations doesnt require crossfire/SLI. You can pop in as meny cards as you want and it will still scale linear.

Xtreme Addict
    damn, i do not see how a 6-pin plus 8-pin would be nuff 4 this...

tis like powering 2 8800gtx chips on 1 card..

i thought it would require 2 8-pin power connectors!

1300W PSU minimum for xfire???

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gojirasan View Post
    Do you have any info about whether this card is going to have a possible mechanism to reduce or eliminate microstuttering or multi-GPU driver issues? If not I don't think it will be beating the GTX280 in games with poor or nonexistent multi-GPU support since a single 4870 can almost never meet/beat a GTX280. OTOH, unless something goes horribly wrong the R700 certainly should utterly destroy the GTX280 in frame rates in games with multi-GPU support. In theory 2 4870s should give about the same performance as GTX260 SLI. I am really hoping that AMD/ATI is going to do something about the microstuttering issue though. Having parts of the game perform at the same level as a single card quite significantly reduces the value of multi-GPU for me.
    there's only one problem with your theory. A single 4870 beats the gtx 260. Considering xfire is supposed to scale better than sli and the possible there may be an internal ht bridge or something like that for a fast low-latency inter-connect, then it's safe to say the 4870x2 will be closing in on gtx 280 sli
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    damn, i do not see how a 6-pin plus 8-pin would be nuff 4 this...

tis like powering 2 8800gtx chips on 1 card..

i thought it would require 2 8-pin power connectors!

1300W PSU minimum for xfire???
    I think a 1000W Corsair would be more then enough for them.
    Intel i7 920 d0 @ 4410MHz @ 1.36v :: Prolimatech Mega Shadow :: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 F9K :: 6GB Mushkin XP3-15000 :: HIS 5870 :: Corsair 1000W :: HannsG 27.5" :: Lian Li V1010B

Xtreme Addict
    2 x 8pins? Even the 1.1 PCIe + 6pin + 8pin is 300W, if it was over 300W imagine the cooler needed.

i7| EX58-EXTREME | SSD M225 | Radbox | 5870CF + 9600GT

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliG
    there's only one problem with your theory. A single 4870 beats the gtx 260. Considering xfire is supposed to scale better than sli and the possible there may be an internal ht bridge or something like that for a fast low-latency inter-connect, then it's safe to say the 4870x2 will be closing in on gtx 280 sli
    The HD4870 only beats the GTX260 if you choose your reviews and the games in the reviews and your resolution with great care. OTOH, I could go cherry pick reviews that clearly shows the HD4870 losing badly to the GTX260 in multiple benchmarks. The fact is that the GTX260 and the HD4870 are trading blows. Although in reading reviews from sites that I know and trust the HD4870 seems to be losing by greater margins when it loses than the GTX260 in the games where it loses. Also, it looks to me like the GTX260 has more OC headroom. With an apples to apples water cooled OC comparison I believe the GTX260 OC is going to win against the HD4870 OC in nearly every benchmarks except those few where the HD4870 does unusually well.

Also what is with this CF is "supposed to" scale better than SLI? In the benchmarks I have seen if anything it seems to scale worse and CF is often stated to have worse driver support in games than Nvidia. The game industry has been very Nvidia biased since the 8800GTX took the crown. Hell there was a lot of speculation that AMD/ATI may not even be around anymore due to their huge financial problems which are not even over yet.

The internal HT type bridge idea is extremely speculative. In fact most of the current rumors seem to be that R700 is going to be some sort of crossfire on a card with a faster bridge chip. Remember all the crazy rumors before R600 was released? Some of the rumors were even talking about improved GPU communication IIRC. I suggest we adopt more of a wait and see attitude rather than these type of ultra-optimistic assumptions.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gojirasan View Post
    The HD4870 only beats the GTX260 if you choose your reviews and the games in the reviews and your resolution with great care. OTOH, I could go cherry pick reviews that clearly shows the HD4870 losing badly to the GTX260 in multiple benchmarks. The fact is that the GTX260 and the HD4870 are trading blows. Although in reading reviews from sites that I know and trust the HD4870 seems to be losing by greater margins when it loses than the GTX260 in the games where it loses. Also, it looks to me like the GTX260 has more OC headroom. With an apples to apples water cooled OC comparison I believe the GTX260 OC is going to win against the HD4870 OC in nearly every benchmarks except those few where the HD4870 does unusually well.
    You are totaly blind dude.
    The one cherry picking reviews is you. Must be. HD 4870 kicks GTX260 with 100$ less.

And this tread is about R700 not cherry picking reviews and ati vs Nvidia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    And AMD is only a CPU manufactor due to stolen technology and making clones.

Xtreme Addict
    When is premier of this beast ?

Xtreme Member
    Happy to see a black pcb on ATI.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    That's because in the process of benching the card all setup I learned a few things about Qimonda memory:
    [*]It sucks[*]It doesn't like voltage[*]It doesn't like the cold[*]It suck[*]It dies real easily[*]err....did I mention it sucks?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Malik View Post
    When is premier of this beast ?
    AMD said within 8 weeks, but there is no official launch day yet.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    AMD said within 8 weeks, but there is no official launch day yet.
    8 weeks ? Ohhh soo long - but for this black beauty ... everything

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Malik View Post
    8 weeks ? Ohhh soo long - but for this black beauty ... everything
    8 weeks was 1 week ago, so its 7 now. :p

i think we'll see first cards at the end of august.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast