Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing a Bad BIOS Flash on the 4870

Hybrid View

Xtreme Enthusiast

Fixing a Bad BIOS Flash on the 4870

edited: This is resolved, most (all?) of the cards reported here had incorrectly flashed bioses due to the use of DDR5, see W1zzard's excellent fix article over at techpowerup for a proper bios and full instructions - and GOOD LUCK!

If anyone cares, flashed cards wouldn't initialize ram after a cold boot (and we all know how often we cold boot our machines) so the failures appeared random. Easy mistake to make IMO.
    Last edited by halo112358; 06-30-2008 at 02:32 AM.
    core i7 920, gigabyte EX58-UD5, 4870x2

DDC3.2 > PA120.3 > DD4870x2fc > Fuzion v1 > PA120.2 > EK Res

Banned
    same here m8, i have 2 of em that wont boot.... wtf is going on....

Xtreme Member
    well, you could try taking all PCI cards out?

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    Be more descriptive , does the fan spin 100%, are any of the red led's on the bottom of the card staying on, do they go on then off while trying to boot, does it seem as though the pc is booting but not the card? any info you can provide would help, it may or may not be dead
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Banned
    3 leds light up instead of 4 , the fans spin as normal... no post so no reflash.... dead as a dodo... but why didnt they do this last night why only after they had been dorment for a few hours.... dont get it m8...why are they preventing post?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purecain View Post
    3 leds light up instead of 4 , the fans spin as normal... no post so no reflash.... dead as a dodo... but why didnt they do this last night why only after they had been dorment for a few hours.... dont get it m8...why are they preventing post?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

You flashed them already? if your clocks are too high for the voltage it will not post, there is your issue. If you can perform the volt mod they will most likely work, I had a 4850 refuse too boot at 900 , raised the volts and it boots fine, the card with only 1 led is not getting juice, i bet it is your secondary right?
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure that's what mine does - I already filed an RMA with the egg, this crap is going back in the box. Maybe I'll buy another when they've sorted this out, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by halo112358 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's what mine does - I already filed an RMA with the egg, this crap is going back in the box. Maybe I'll buy another when they've sorted this out, maybe not.
    If someone flashes a working card and volt mod's it with a modified bios from a tool which ATI "NEVER" indicated was safe for a 4800 series card - Why is that ATI's or NewEgg's issue? If you can sucker NewEgg more power to you Of course I'm not saying that you modified your card since obviously yours was DOA
    The Sleeper has awakened
    ============================
    4GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) at (4-4-4-11-T2)
    DFI LANPARTY UT 790FX-M2R - BIOS: 5-5-2008
    ATI Radeon HD 4870X2
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality sound card
    Primary HD - Raid 0 (2 * WD Raptor X 150g)
    - (Total Disk storage - 3.80 TERA Bytes)
    1000 watt "Thermaltake Toughpower" Power Supply
    LG DVD Rewriter GSA-H10L
    Samsung DVD Rewriter SH-S202N
    Vista 64 Ultimate
    Windows Experience Index 5.9

Quote Originally Posted by twohype View Post
    If someone flashes a working card and volt mod's it with a modified bios from a tool which ATI "NEVER" indicated was safe for a 4800 series card - Why is that ATI's or NewEgg's issue? If you can sucker NewEgg more power to you Of course I'm not saying that you modified your card since obviously yours was DOA
    The card was idling around 80C for me with stock fan/heatsink/BIOS settings so dont you think that's a bit high? Also I've done BIOS flashing quite a few times before for motherboard and VGA and never had something like this happen... also the flashing tool I used had a statement it suported HD4850 and HD4870 otherwise I wouldn't have used it... also the card was working fine even AFTER the BIOS flash and stoped working only 1-2h later... and you know, it would be more helpfull if you kept your useless comments for yourself... you got a working HD4870? If yes and you are happy with it then good for you, if not... don't comment on things you haven't had experience with... maybe if you did get one and it would die on you "justlike that" you would be here talking other way around...
    -----
    Antec P190 / Windows XP Pro SP3 / Asus P5Q-E / 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 5-5-5-15 / Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
    2x Powercolor HD4870 CF / Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer / WD SATA Raptor 150GB / Swiftech water cooling components
    -----

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edin View Post
    The card is idling around 80C for me with stock fan/heatsink/BIOS settings so dont you think that's a bit high?
    ATI picked the fan profile and if they dont think its high, nor do I. the majority of people who buy these as well as OEMs will sell this and no one will ever know what the temperature is and the card will live out its life. It is high if you plan on overclocking, but then...

Also I've done BIOS flashing quite a few times before for motherboard and VGA andnever had something like this happen... also the flashing tool I used had a statement it suported HD4850 and HD4870 otherwise I wouldn't have used it... also the card was working fine even AFTER the BIOS flash and stoped working only 1-2h later
    Doesnt matter. Your warranty is null and void and so isnt ATIs problem. Also the tool clearly stated that hd4xxx support is experimental.

... and you know, it would be more helpfull if you kept your useless comments for yourself... you got a working HD470? If yes and you are happy with it then good for you, if not... don't comment on things you haven't had experience with... maybe if you did get one and it would die on you "justlike that" you would be here talking other wy around...
    Erm, he can say what he wants.
    Last edited by ghost101; 06-28-2008 at 08:23 PM.
    Q9300 l 4GB DDR2 l HD 4850 l GA-X38-DQ6 l 2.5TB HD l VX550 l Dell S2409W l Vista X64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twohype View Post
    Okay, this BS is not helpful at all.

Some of us are trying to get to the bottom of why this is happening. In some cases, this has NOTHING to do with flashing. We had 4 fail on us, and they were simply put into Crossfire mode.

I appreciate that some may have modded, etc... But stop threadcrapping for the sake of us that actually would like to get this solved.
    Intel IPP, AMD SP, MCP

Heatware: 51-0-0

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    Okay, this BS is not helpful at all.

Some of us are trying to get to the bottom of why this is happening. In some cases, this has NOTHING to do with flashing. We had 4 fail on us, and they were simply put into Crossfire mode.

I appreciate that some may have modded, etc... But stop threadcrapping for the sake of us that actually would like to get this solved.
    I dont think he meant to do that. But when some people do flash the bios and then file an rma it results in higher prices for everyone. So I agree with him.

But if you genuinely didnt do anything, an rma will fix things surely?
    Q9300 l 4GB DDR2 l HD 4850 l GA-X38-DQ6 l 2.5TB HD l VX550 l Dell S2409W l Vista X64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost101 View Post
    I dont think he meant to do that. But when some people do flash the bios and then file an rma it results in higher prices for everyone. So I agree with him.

But if you genuinely didnt do anything, an rma will fix things surely?
    I do understand that, but please realize that an RMA won't help one bit.

Our distributors are out of stock, and NewEgg isn't exactly stocked fully on these.

I am interested in seeing what can be gleaned from all of this...

I do want to point out that several of us were not modding the BIOS, however.
    Intel IPP, AMD SP, MCP

Heatware: 51-0-0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What brands?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sapphire - but as far as I can tell all of the boards on the market are just rebadged OEM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, that sounds similar to my 940 server board. It has two power leds; one lights up, the other on and off if the 8 pin CPU power connector isn't plugged in.

Banned
    right np... i have booted xp by disabling a 4870 in safe mode using the 3870 as video adapter... i'll try upping the volts now.. thanks.. let you know what happens in 10 minutes...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've got 3 LED's lit up when the board tries to post, then it fails and spins the fan down. If you're looking at the board from the top down the two leds on the right are lit up, then one is dark, then the one on the far left is lit.

Banned
    yep thats what i had, now after raising the voltage, it still doesnt work.. only now i have 2 red lights flash very quickly... so i'm on my way to fixing it...
    best thing to do is flash a stock bios, only problem is that it wont flash the original one as it says its already installed... using latest winflash... atiflash wont work... what else is working in dos for these cards???
    right... managed to reflash my 4870 but the bios isnt right, or the flashing process is fubar'd... this is what gpuz reads from the card now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	completely :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed 4870.JPG 
Views:	9450 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	81169  
    Last edited by purecain; 06-27-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Fastest 4870 ever!
    Anywho, why not try flashing in a bios from a different manufactuer so it wont say its already installed? or maybe there is a force command parameter.
    E7200 @ 4.0ghz 1.29vcore
    2x 6870
    OCZ 4gb @ 5-4-4-12 846mhz

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, that makes me abit happier i didnt hit the Buy button yesterday on the HIS crossfire package for £440. I might hold off to see how the 4870X2 does when released next month because the 4870s do look very promising even for the slightly inflated price for launch due to price gouging.

Xtreme Member
    oh man I just bought one yesterday and I hope it is not going to happen like that.

Q9450 w/120 extreme
    Maximus II Formula
    G.Skill 4gb 8800 w/ crosair fans
    Sapphire HD4870 512 w/ T-Rad2
    2x 300gb velociraptor RAID0
    2x 500 gb SATA
    Cooler Master 850w PSU
    CM 590 Case

Xtreme Addict
    i just got two 4870's as well. i'll hold off on the overclocking or flashing until the source of this is discovered. i'd hate to kill my shiny new cards. i don't think any of us know much about GDDR5 yet, so i have no idea how hot it runs or how well it overclocks.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    unlucky

Banned
    I read an article saying that atiflash and winflash have caused crashed on the 4XXX series because of inproper bios coding for gddr5 try the one that is in the bios mod forum on this site, flashrom I heard there have been no problems with it yet and you can force flash the cards back to stock if needed.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast