Thread: You can't be serious another battery died

Xtreme Addict

You can't be serious another battery died

Okay so this is ridiculous I'm in Canada I'm from MN and the closest Apple tech center is 500 miles from here in Minneapolis. Maybe 5 months back I had a battery die, well low and behold another one bites the dust this is seriously ridiculous.
    Is there some way they can do this crap without me driving 500 miles? Or would they be like oh we have to charge you to inspect the problem and send it in ect ect.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I am Xtreme
    How long are you in the USA? If ~ 2 weeks or longer you can call Applecare and they should be able to ship one out to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What is wrong with it? Im assuming very poor / short runtimes?

Did you try re-calibrating it using the online instructions?

Xtreme Addict
    It dies the second I unplug the cord. I have my cop of the form they gave me at the genius bar or whatever its called. I called a place here and he wasnt sure about if they could replace it or not. Seems stupid to me it would make a difference if I have warranty on my macbook or not. Its the battery thats a problem not the laptop. Anyone know how long the warranty on a battery from them is good for?
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I am Xtreme
    1 year

but it needs to have under 300 cycles, or else it wont' be covered.

Xtreme Legend
    my wife's macbook killed a couple of batteries

from what i could understand at the service centre these laptops are actually lemons >> they discharge a battery a little too much which kills it basically
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hey, what revision macbook or macbook pro are we talking about here?

my little over 1yr old (bought june 5 2007 in sf) mbp 2.4 is acting up. according to istat pro the battery health is at 57%, runtime... well let's say idling through the soccer euro cup finals last night (90mins plus change) it was down to 30% battery power. wtf is up with that? i wasn't running a video, just surfing the web via wireless. display dimmed to 1 bar above off... that's so fcked.
    ok, just checked, health is 54% now and cycle times are 36 (in a almost 13 months) - yes it is plugged in and running 24/7 most of the time.
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Xtreme Legend
    i don't really know off top of my head but the battery in my instance would charge and work for 3 hours no probs and then next thing you know there is a cross through the battery and no charge at all
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    My 1st generation Macbook obliterated the battery although I did run it on battery 5 days out of the week. Within a year it was down to 2 hours of runtime in a text editor. Was a good laptop, just needed a spare battery.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well update.. my macbook pro, bought june 5th in san fran, now has a maximum battery capacity of 24% - less than 45 mins. hooray.

Back from the Dead
    That must suck... thankfully my IBM 12" doesn't do stuff like that. More than a 100 cycles down the road and still good for 6 hours of work
    You do lose a few W capacity over the years though, can't do nothing against that. Hope you get it sorted out!

I had one hell of a fight with Apple & my Ipod mini back in the day... battery would die again and again, and after a year they said they wouldn't replace it any more, even though they were obliged to by EU law. That's the last I bought with a bitten apple on it...
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Legend
    they should rename Apple to Lemon
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well i have a suspicion... see i bought mine in the us in '07.. have used it since in several countries since. anyway, i know that there shouldn't be any differences between the eu and us models. honestly i think it's the same things anyway. just throw in a different plug for the powersupply and it's the us, uk or continental eu version. to me it seems though that every time i switched from 110v to 240 it went downhill by leaps and bounds. or basically every time i had to go on battery after a long period of being on powerline juice (24/7 basically when at home).
    some guys told me to remove the battery when it's running plugged in. like hell yea i can be bovvered to do that (minor hassle really). but the battery, according to the led in the plug has some way of charging switch so wth should i remove the battery anyway?

Back from the Dead
    Yeah well.. you do need to take care of your battery a little
    If you run on line for longer periods of time (2 days+) remove the battery when it's about 40% charged (optimal point to store it).
    If you can't be bothered to remove it, there should be a software option that prevents the battery from being charged to 100%, thus increasing battery life.
    I always remove mine, it's a 2 seconds task I could do blindly really
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yea true, but then again can't they realize that in hardware? i mean seriously. i keep this thing on 24/7 and it never actually charges. the led is green all the time. only if i unplug it to move to another room (every once in a new moon) does it 'need' to charge back to 100%. if it sits at 100% it supposedly never charges. also, according to the battery meter, it never drops when plugged in.

ok silly question, can i remove/replace the battery while this thing is running? cause i need it always on? so that would be an additional hassle, turn off, remove battery, turn back on... run run run, turn off, insert battery, turn on, relocate, turn off, remove batt... you get the point... ?

Xtreme Member
    You can remove the battery while its plugged in, it won't do anything.

My macbook battery just died this past week as well The thing had started to have some charging issues the last few months, but it's an original macbook, and I use it just about every day. Batteries just need a little love.