Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Bobcat 300

Project: Bobcat 300

Hello everyone! This is my very first post on this forum. I've been lurking here off and on for months, checking out the latest stuff and waiting for the day to come for me to start my own build. I finally got enough money saved up to get another awesome build started, and I have a block of time during the week that I'm going to dedicate to making this build happen.

I've been building computers since 2002, so this is probably my 4th custom build. I've done some weak case mods (cathodes, LEDs, etc) and basic cable management, but I've never fully tricked out a rig with awesome case lights, fans, cables, and of course, water cooling.

I am a junior at Texas State University in San Marcos, TX, and I wanted to show some school spirit by making this build go along with the school colors, and also get a laser cut on the side panel of the school's logo.

The initial hardware was ordered from Newegg yesterday - here's the loot:
    Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion
    Motherboard: ASUS EVO 790X
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955
    Memory: G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR3 1600
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 4870
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W

This build will be at least a few months long, as I haven't ordered any water cooling stuff yet.. In fact, if anyone has any suggestions for me to get started with this gear, I would love to hear them.

Can't wait to get started - most of my gear will arrive on Friday, Nov 13.

I'll post some pics of the loot when it arrives
    Last edited by trekkie; 11-10-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Reserved for final build overview

Welcome to XS, and congrats on your upcoming build! Let us know what you're thinking of with respect to water cooling gear, and I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Let us know what you're thinking of with respect to water cooling gear, and I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.
    I want to set up a loop to cool the Phenom and the Radeon. I was doing some research about AM3 processors being compatible with any AM2/AM2+ water blocks but what I've read hasn't been 100% definitive. Also, since I'm brand new to this, I don't know what the best blocks are for the various components.

As far as the radiator goes, probably a 2x120mm will work (I guess?), but I have no idea what size tubing I should use or the flow rate of my pump or anything like that. I'm gonna do some more research, obviously, but any directed help would be greatly appreciated.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkie View Post
    I want to set up a loop to cool the Phenom and the Radeon. I was doing some research about AM3 processors being compatible with any AM2/AM2+ water blocks but what I've read hasn't been 100% definitive. Also, since I'm brand new to this, I don't know what the best blocks are for the various components.

As far as the radiator goes, probably a 2x120mm will work (I guess?), but I have no idea what size tubing I should use or the flow rate of my pump or anything like that. I'm gonna do some more research, obviously, but any directed help would be greatly appreciated.
    Why 120 mm rad?

You can use a 360 or 2 x 240 mm rads.

Can you post some pics of your case?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
    Why 120 mm rad?
    You can use a 360 or 2 x 240 mm rads.
    Well I guess I really have no idea what I need, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
    Can you post some pics of your case?
    My gear hasn't arrived yet, but I ordered an Antec Three Hundred Illusion case. When I get everything on Friday, I'll take more detailed pictures and try to come up with some sweet mod ideas
    Last edited by trekkie; 11-10-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Welcome to XS, you have certainly found the right place if you what help to build water cooled PCs.
    I would suggest you start by do a search in the liquid cooling worklog section for your case, Antec Three Hundred Illusion.

That way you will get some ideas as to what will fit in the case and the parts others have had success with.

Sorry I can't give you any detailed info on this case as I have not had one to play with.

How did you come up with the name for this project?

Quote Originally Posted by kgtiger View Post
    I go to Texas State, and our team name is Bobcats. I want this rig to be loosely based around the school colors (maroon and gold) and to incorporate the school's athletics logo somewhere (probably laser cut into the side panel). The 300 part is from the type of case I'm using, an Antec Three Hundred Illusion.

PS: Here's an image of the "Supercat," which is the Texas State Bobcat's logo

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Welcome to XS, you have certainly found the right place if you what help to build water cooled PCs.
    I would suggest you start by do a search in the liquid cooling worklog section for your case, Antec Three Hundred Illusion.

That way you will get some ideas as to what will fit in the case and the parts others have had success with.

Sorry I can't give you any detailed info on this case as I have not had one to play with.

I'm sure it has something to do with his school

Good luck on this build and not to toot my own horn but you can take a look at my worklog, the first 2~3 pages of which were of my travails with that case. Actually there's no horn to toot since I never finished anything with that case, somewhat embarrassing really. Hope it can give you some ideas, it's a fun little case but needs a good deal of work to accommodate watercooling.

EDIT: lol too late

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    Good luck on this build and not to toot my own horn but you can take a look at my worklog, the first 2~3 pages of which were of my travails with that case. Actually there's no horn to toot since I never finished anything with that case, somewhat embarrassing really. Hope it can give you some ideas, it's a fun little case but needs a good deal of work to accommodate watercooling.
    Kibbler, I'm digging your final setup, sir. Did you wind up fully scrapping your 300 case once you stepped up to that behemoth?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkie View Post
    Kibbler, I'm digging your final setup, sir. Did you wind up fully scrapping your 300 case once you stepped up to that behemoth?
    Yes, and I do regret it a bit...only a tiny tiny bit.

The anticipation of getting my main computer hardware is killing me! Newegg delivered the first package (which was just the case) to my house in San Antonio today, but since I live on campus and don't go home until Friday, I have to wait until then to scope it out. The second package (that has the rest of the gear) should arrive tomorrow, so when I roll back home on Friday, everything will be waiting for me. Pics on Friday for sure.

On to business: I think the first task for this project will be to sleeve the cables on my power supply. I hadn't seen that done on each individual cable until I checked out this site and I have to say, that effect looks freakin sweet. I think I'm going to go for Yellow UV sleeving and black heatshrink. I suppose I should measure the cable lengths on my power supply when I get it on Friday so I'll have a good idea about how much to order.

I've been doing more reading around here and I've heard the word "flux" thrown around when talking about radiators. I guess my questions are: What is flux? Why is it bad? Why is it in the radiator to begin with? How do you get rid of it?

(Sorry for the seemingly n00b question, but I'm a total n00b at this)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As I have yet got my hands on a PC radiator, give me time, I will.
    However, I have worked with ones from cars, bikes and haul packs, well just one haul pack.

Anyhow,Flux.
    Basically, its a cleaning agent.
    During fabrication flux is applied to the seams and edges in either liquid or powder form, to help the silver solder to bond/join, glue if you may, weld the copper/brass together.

With out flux the silver solder would not run (move along the seams and eges freely).
    This would mean you would need to use heaps more flux, it would also look like crap and as a result and would have "perrosity". Meaning lots of very small holes in the weld.
    Flux also helps to stop "lamination". Meaning only one side of the weld bonds to the copper/brass, basicly crap weld that has no strength and leaks like a sieve.

When flux gets hot it softens and returns to a liquid.
    As a result the flux will flow through your loops, pumps, WC blocks and will/may slow your flow rate down, block your WC blocks and may reduce the life of your pump. As well as increase you over all system temps.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

The best way to clean your rad would be to fill it with hot water, NOT boiling.
    Let it sit for 10-20min, then drain say half.
    Place thumbs over the holes and shake violently from side to side for say 1min.
    Empty content of rad into container to see if it is clean. If not repeat untill it is.

Then flush with distilled water to remove any minerals from the tap water.

After all that it should now be good to go.

Hope thats not to long winded for you.

Looking forward to your next update on Friday

By the way Trekkie, this whole love you school thing.

I thinking it's really just a cover for the fact that you love "High School Musical".

Yeh you go wild cat.

Yeh I know what your thinking, and before you say it, I have watched them all with my 10 year old daughter.
    Last edited by kgtiger; 11-12-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Just to tease, have a little fun

That's basically it on how to clean the radiator - you may want to do several flushes cycles with hot water, followed by a rinse with distilled. Check the clarity of the water when you pour out the rinse water from the radiator and you can see if you've still got stuff in there.

You may have mentioned it, but where are you planning to put your radiator? I recently built a PC for our daughter using the Antec 300, and looks like you're best bet is external?

By the way Trekkie, this whole love you school thing.

I thinking it's really just a cover for the fact that you love "High School Musical".

Yeh you go wild cat.

Yeh I know what your thinking, and before you say it, I have watched them all with my 10 year old daughter.
    Well, I did work at Walt Disney World Resort back in 2006-2007, and my first name is Troy, so you might be able to imagine just how many 8-15 year old girls were like, "omg lyk it's Troy Bolton!" (Also, I've seen them all too and admittedly think they're pretty entertaining movies.)

You may have mentioned it, but where are you planning to put your radiator? I recently built a PC for our daughter using the Antec 300, and looks like you're best bet is external?
    I haven't mentioned it, but yes, I'm probably going to put the radiator on the top of the case. Once I get my hands on the case I think I'll have a better idea of where I want to go with the WC stuff.

The two packages I got from Newegg

Christmas came early this year

Phenom II X4 955 Deneb AM3 125W Processor

My attempt at a macro shot of the proc

I was pretty impressed at the packaging quality of the Corsair TX750W.
    The actual power supply unit came in its own little sock thing. Nice touch, Corsair!

Sapphire Radeon 4870.. I'm sure none of y'all have seen a video card before

Asus 790X EVO Mobo for AM3 procs

The PCB is gross brown but it's got these pretty cool looking blue heatsinks on the chipset

Unwrapping the Antec Three Hundred Illusion case

My girlfriend insisted her little stuffed dog be in one of the shots

Mobo tray facing away

Front drive bays

Top panel

The front panel has 2x120mm fans that are easily removable

Here's a little angled shot of the front panel

And here's the basic rig with all of the components installed, completely pre-modding

Right away I can tell I'm going to need to do some dremel work to do some proper cable management, along with trimming power cables (there's a TON of excess on the SATA power chains - like 8" between connecter). While I'm at it with the power supply, I'll resleeve the individual cables with a combination of the dark blue, sky blue, and black colors that Nils sells.

Xtreme Member
    Nice mate but my god that brown is gross.

Xtreme Member
    Need to get you some spray paint lessons and some brown and black sleeving from Murdermod and you'd be set=)
    Last edited by Liderc; 11-14-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liderc View Post
    Need to get you some spray paint lessons and some brown and black sleeving from Murdermod and you'd be set=)
    Same thing that hit me when I saw the brown. Brown and blue are all the rage on the HGTV home design shows (you guys watch that, right?). Course, I guess your bobcat is not brown and blue

Nice components you have there, and I think you're gonna love how it works when you've got it all together. And, while the case is small, I like how it is very clean looking without a lot of extra doodads.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Since Christmas is all about giving and you let your girlfriend had her way with the stuffed dog in the photo shoot.

Then she MUST have bought all this stuff for you, right.

Now thats a girlfrend worth having.

Just hope my wife has the same idea for my Christmas this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    Nice mate but my god that brown is gross.
    It actually looks a lot worse on the photo than in real life. Probably the flash from the camera gave it that gross look.

Yes, indeed. I can't wait to get started on sleeving this power supply! As far as the paint lessons, I'm really not sure how to disassemble this case, as it's not secured with screws, instead the tiny little hole things that I don't know how to take out. How do I remove these bad boys so I can disassemble this case?

Nice components you have there, and I think you're gonna love how it works when you've got it all together. And, while the case is small, I like how it is very clean looking without a lot of extra doodads.
    Thanks, I hope it will all come together the way I want it to.

In other news, my computer modification fund has been emptied by my car having some serious issues. However, that's not stopping me from at least trying to plan my next stage. Here's a general drawing of how I want the plumbing to look like. I might be too optimistic, though, because the radiator will likely be a lot bigger than I'm anticipating. I only have one hard drive and I have no problem putting it in a 5-1/4" drive enclosure up top. Anyways, what does everyone think? Am I dreaming?

EDIT: I guess pumps output on the top and input on the bottom - just imagine the tube from the res to the pump on the bottom instead of the top, and vice versa for the GPU block
    Last edited by trekkie; 11-20-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Most cases are put together with rivets, as is yours. To take these out you need to use a drill bit the size of the hole and drill through them and the rivet will simply break up. The problem with this is you also need to have a rivet gun, to put the new rivets back in, once you're ready to reassemble. I would suggest saving this for another time, as it could take a bit of time to learn to do properly. Keep up the nice build log.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you need to cut out the bottom section of the HHD bay to fit the rad?

Most cases are put together with rivets, as is yours. To take these out you need to use a drill bit the size of the hole and drill through them and the rivet will simply break up. The problem with this is you also need to have a rivet gun, to put the new rivets back in, once you're ready to reassemble. I would suggest saving this for another time, as it could take a bit of time to learn to do properly. Keep up the nice build log.
    I talked to my dad this weekend about the possibility of him owning a rivet gun. He said he didn't but that he needs one, so I think I'm going to go half on one with with him. I'll take a crack at painting one of my old cases for practice, I think. Should be an interesting experience!

Do you need to cut out the bottom section of the HHD bay to fit the rad?
    I'm not sure exactly. I need to get myself a rad and see what will be involved with mounting it in there. I was checking out Kibbler's Pinnacle 300 rig and his rad fit perfectly in the HDD drive cage.

Xtreme Member
    you just need a 1/8th drill bit+drill and a cheap rivet gun's only 15 bucks or so + some rivets.. u can get awesome black ones at mdpcx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast