Thread: Help me choose a motherboard and HD4870 waterblock

Help me choose a motherboard and HD4870 waterblock

Let me start by saying, that Im really bad at making decisions.. need to pick a motherboard and GPU water block

What I need is a motherboard that supports E8500, prefferable DDR2 and good overclocking possiblities.
    Its going to run HD4870, crossfire is a plus but not required. Power saving/dynamic clocking is a plus (electricity is insanly priced here in Denmark).

Im considering a P45 based board such as
    a Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME
    or Asus Maximus II Formula
    or MSI P45 Diamond
    but P45 sucks at crossfire as I know (not sure if I wont use that until future, then I might just get another motherboard)
    the MSI and asus got a sound cart that might help against EMI (Ive experienced that alot with all former computers Ive had)

Watercooling:
    Need waterblock for the HD4870, there is no dedicated out yet, so need a universal, got following in mind,
    a Thermaltake Aqua Brazing All Copper series - W2
    or Zalman ZM-GWB2 Pure Aluminum (Anodized)
    or Zalman ZM-GWB3 Pure Aluminum (Anodized)
    or you got something else to suggest?

And thanks for any feedback.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Maximus II Formula is your winner. For the waterblock, it looks like that mounts on the 4870 are very similar to the 3870, meaning anything that fits on that should work with the 4870. Thermaltake watercooling is rubish, get something like a Swiftech MCW60, or wait for Dangerden and EK to come out with their blocks for it.
    i7 860 @ 4.2Ghz | ASUS Maximus III Formula | 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | ATi 5970 | 3x WD Raptor X HDD's | NZXT Khaos Case | Corsair 1000w PSU | Swiftech H20 Cooling CPU | Windows 7 x64 | Sony Bravia 52" LCD Display

3DMark06 Score - 20k Club | Youtube Account

Hmm for water system I was planning for Thermaltake Kandalf LCS. Found a positive review for it at some point, or might been Armor LCS (Kandalf got bigger cooler tho). Figured I could just buy another small watercooler if it cant supply booth CPU and GPU (and possible northbridge chipset) waterblocks efficient enought. Also the store sells it 25% cheaper than other shops.

The ram on 4870 is placed different than from 3870, so blocks that covers gpu+ram wont be able to cover the ram correctly. I cant seem to find any 3870/3850 waterblocks for just GPU tho.

To add, the ram is 8 x 12*14mm, or 2 rows of 14*67mm (with space in between).
    Last edited by n3m3sis; 06-25-2008 at 12:21 PM.

found a company that sells Swiftech MCW60
    http://coolbits.dk/product_info.php?products_id=350
    costs twize than the zalman tho

also found out Asetek announced they're making waterblock for 4870, but dated back in april..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, I would just wait then man. Get a full cover block from EK when they're released and that will take care of cooling the ram too. Regarding the cases, the Thermaltake Armor and Kandalf are awesome, its just that the watercooling system that comes with them arent really build all that well, and you might have trouble cooling a CPU and 4870 with one of their kits...
    i7 860 @ 4.2Ghz | ASUS Maximus III Formula | 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | ATi 5970 | 3x WD Raptor X HDD's | NZXT Khaos Case | Corsair 1000w PSU | Swiftech H20 Cooling CPU | Windows 7 x64 | Sony Bravia 52" LCD Display

3DMark06 Score - 20k Club | Youtube Account

Xtreme Member
    I would not recommend you buy a ThermalTake case with watercooling, they are low quality, the pumps are very unreliable and I believe they use aluminium and copper in the system which causes corrosion.