Thread: Blackops: OCZ SPD update...look inside

Threaded View

the jedi master

Blackops: OCZ SPD update...look inside

Just like most of you here I was not doing as well as I should with my test ram here and BlackOps, so I dug deaper and look to have found the issue.

on the dimms I was testing here SPD was booting at 1067, seems the board does not like this to much, so i develoiped a test spd that boots at 1333.

Timings are 8-8-8-22 at 1333, i have 2 versions of the SPD, 1 for 1GB modules and the other for 2GB modules.

They do help...a great deal

There are rules as usual.

1 don't flash overclocked, infact run 1333CPU and 1067 memory and test stability before you flash.

2 SPDtool does not fully support DDR3, but it will get the job done as long as you ignore its warning and follow my pictorial guide.

3 flashing the wrong spd is no ones fault but your own, flashing a 1GB spd to a 2GB module will reduce the modules size but allow a boot, flashing a 2GB spd to a 1GB module is bad, infact really bad, so much so it will need to be shipped back for a reflash so be carefull

1 open spd tool, go to read and let it read the spd off one of your modules.

2 Save the old spd by going to File> save as> and choose a location and name.

3 Now load up the new spd, I am loading the 2GB file here, be sure to load the file that is correct for the size of the modules you are using.
    Go to File>Open> and point SPD tool at the new file.

4 Now go to file>write> and choose the first module in the list to write to.

5 It will ask if you are sure you want to write...hit yes

6 Now it will say there is an error, this is due to spdtool not correctly reading DDR3 SPD, just choose to write the spd anyway.

It will write then verify, be patient here. Once both modules are writen close everything down, reboot and resume bios tweaking and testing.

Here are the files:

Blackops ocz test spd for 1GB DDR3 modules.

Blackops ocz test spd for 2GB DDR3 modules

Important note

If the modules you have already boot at 1333 by spd I doubt you will need to flash, I think this file best suits the following modules.

1 1333EB ReaperX 6-5-5-timings
    2 1333 reaper 6-6-6- timings
    3 1333 Platinum
    4 1333 gold

5 1600 Platinum 7-7-7- timings
    6 1600EB 7-7-6- and 7-6-6- timings

1800 and 2000 rated modules may already boot at 1333 anyway, as I get more info i will update testing, for now if you must play make sure to save the old spd so you have it incase it makes matters worse and you want to flash it back.

Discuss how the files do for you in this thread.
    Last edited by Tony; 06-20-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast