Thread: Interview with AMD's Eric Demers

Xtreme Mentor

Interview with AMD's Eric Demers

R3D: On to a rather burning issue: looking back, do you still think it was a good idea to setup the RV770 cooling solution as you did, with a focus on silence rather than thermal performance?

Eric: We went through a lot of feedback we received, as well as further investigating the topic, and it turns out that the majority of users are far more sensitive to the noise associated with the cooling solution, than they are to GPU temperatures, which led as to aim for the most silent possible operation. Considering that, for stock operation, the cooling solutions we have implemented are more than adequate in terms of thermal performance, as they keep the chips well within specifications- we rate the chips to work up to 105o C which is quite a bit higher than the temperatures you'll be normally seeing. Of course, if you're considering significant overclocking, you'll probably be better served by the alternate cooling solution that our AIB partners bring, as some of those are better suited to such a task than our reference design.
    http://www.rage3d.com/interviews/atichats/undertheihs/

Xtreme Addict
    nice interview so no support for cuda seems nvidia is alone in that one

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    nice interview so no support for cuda seems nvidia is alone in that one
    CUDA died when Larrabee was announced.

Its nice to see they picked the more quiet solution. I got that aswell on my 8800GT. And I love it. No vacuum cleaner running lose in the chassis.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

YouTube Addict
    Good Read
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    CUDA died when Larrabee was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Its nice to see they picked the more quiet solution. I got that aswell on my 8800GT. And I love it. No vacuum cleaner running lose in the chassis.
    Yes and no, the quiet is nice but I just seem to have this mental block about my card running idle at 60C But I went water on my 4870 now so no worries anymore
    My old X1900XT was painful though, that's for sure. Noisy AND hit 90C with stock cooler.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64