Thread: Our GPU2 Results! / HOW TO INSTALL

Threaded View

Xtreme Cruncher

Talking Our GPU2 Results! / HOW TO INSTALL

ATTENTION: This is the method for installation back when GPU2 first came out, There are better methods available now, All of which can be found on the Official F@H webpage and forums. Added this note on 09/10/2008

Well, I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where we could share out success for running the GPU2 client. Post like this:

-Your CPU
    -Your GPU
    -Your OS
    -Your Drivers (Nvidia FW Version, Or just say Ati)
    -If Overclocked, Your Core/Shader/Memory
    -Your PPD

I'll start:

-Ath X2 4200+ (s939) @ 2.6Ghz
    -8800GT
    -Vista x64
    -650/1625/950 (for now)
    -4704 PPD

AFTER OC:

-Ath X2 4200+ (s939) @ 2.6Ghz
    -8800GT
    -Vista x64
    -740/1850/1050
    -5902 PPD; 17s/frame

New clocks are 740/1850/1050; PPD is now 5292, A %12.5 increase as a result from %13.8 Core/Shader and %10.5 Memory overclock. If you average the two, you get %12.5, So it looks like you get a 1:1 increase in PPD:Overclock Percent. That's nice and simple!

Also, I tried running the client with %50 CPU access, And it cut the PPD to 3386. So CPU is still really important, Which blows because this ruins my hopes of being able to run WCG and the F@H GPU client in unison with no or very few slow-downs.

If you haven't gotten it working on your Nvidia card yet:

If you are using XP x32, you can use 174.55 with no problems and no need for modded INF's. If you are using Vista or an x64 OS, you will need to used Modded INF's to get it to work. You can use several FW versions, But 177.35 is showing the best results. You can also use 177.35 on XP x32 and it is supposed to yield improvements. So, to use 177.35, Here's what to do.

Download the approproate version of Forceware and Modded INF file from here:

XP 32-Bit Drivers - XP 32-Bit INF
    Vista 32-Bit Drivers - Vista 32-Bit INF If it's not working on Vista 32, try this INF instead: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/...howtopic=19109

XP 64-Bit Drivers - XP 64-Bit INF
    Vista 64-Bit Drivers - Vista 64-Bit INF

Here are some alternate sources, Choose the version of 177.35 for you OS: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/...p?showforum=94

Run the Driver, It will extract the installation files to:
    C:/Nvidia/Your OS Type/177.35/English

In my case it, was C:/Nvidia/WinVista64/177.35/English

It will then try to install, And give you an error saying it cannot find compatible hardware. This is normal, That's because it's only looking for a GTX200 series card. That's where the modded INF's come into use.

Copy the modded INF into the directory where the files were extracted, It should prompt you and ask "Do you want to replace this file". Choose yes. If it doesn't prompt you, You have the wrong INF file. Then run the Setup file present in that folder. (Again, In the "C:/Nvidia/Your OS Type/177.35/English" folder).

Install the driver, Reboot, Install the GPU2 Client, And enjoy the PPD.
    Last edited by kevinbo03; 09-10-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!