Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 102

Thread: PowerColor HD4850 first review (from user)

  1. #1
    Champion
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    1,377

    PowerColor HD4850 first review (from user)

    Hello everyone today have some user on my forums come to post the review of HD4850 from Powercolor and he compare with 8800GT, well i don't know where his got this card but results from his review looking interesting


    Driver : CD bundle











    Source : Here

    btw. sorry for my bad English
    Last edited by ZoLKoRn; 06-18-2008 at 05:24 AM. Reason: driver fron 8.5 to cd bundle
    Sorry For My English
    OverclockZone Team
    THAILAND

  2. #2
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoLKoRn View Post
    I hate when they do that. I first was shocked but then i read 7fps...

  3. #3
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,759
    I don't think that's impressive at all.......this card should be put against the GT260. (If you think about it it should)
    Last edited by Tim; 06-18-2008 at 04:21 AM.

    Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

  4. #4
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Eson View Post
    I hate when they do that. I first was shocked but then i read 7fps...
    same for me. It didnt throw me off right away because ATI cards seem to run Unreal 3 Engine well...

    btw. you can get an 8800gt for 130$ AR in canada

  5. #5
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    466
    Yeah by all accounts it isn't impressive by itself. It's when its in CF (and the price) that it's meant to be better.

    I agree the 8800GT is 2 generations back and this beats it but not by much. Like i said CF is it's strong points.

    Thanks for the review all the same. IT's users like you that make this forum so great, early benches and 'real' benches.

  6. #6
    why did you open a new thread? there's already a sticky-thread.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

  7. #7
    Champion
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    why did you open a new thread? there's already a sticky-thread.
    Ahh i'm sorry i forgot
    Sorry For My English
    OverclockZone Team
    THAILAND

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I don't think that's impressive at all.......this card should be put against the GT260. (If you think about it it should)
    Why? You could buy two of these and still have change for the price of the GTX260

  9. #9
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,745
    So the 200$ 4850 performs like a 200$ card. (8800GT at 160-170$ or so).

    That would put the 4870 against 9800GTX or so. And 4870X2 vs 280GTX. Seems nVidia is just toying with AMD yet again.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

  10. #10
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I don't think that's impressive at all.......this card should be put against the GT260. (If you think about it it should)
    in the words of Baku,

    Bwahahahahahahahaha

    why should the 4850 be compared to the gtx 260?
    the 4870, yes

    but not the 4850

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    46
    Well in this case, I don't think the HD4870 will beat the GTX 260. Good thing I'm getting a GTX 260 for $60.
    Enermax Infiniti 720W || ASUS P5K Deluxe || Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 || 4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066Mhz RAM || eVGA GeForce GTX 280 SC || WD Velociraptor 300GB || 2x Seagate 7200.11 1TB || WD Caviar SE16 640GB || Auzentech X-Fi Prelude || 2x LG DVD-RW || Samsung 245BW || Windows Vista Ultimate x64

    http://www.cuddlewar.com/

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning_Rider View Post
    Well in this case, I don't think the HD4870 will beat the GTX 260. Good thing I'm getting a GTX 260 for $60.
    I wish step up extended to Aussies.

  13. #13
    Live Long And Overclock
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    14,551
    Those results are weaker than Phenom results...due to lack of CPU power.

    And...to whoever said that they need to compete with GTX 260 Show me a GTX 260 for $199 and so be it Heck show me one for $299 and I might be convinced.

    The 4850 is competing with the 8800GT and the upcoming 9800GT in July. The GTX 260 is DOUBLE the price of the 4850 at $399, and it will compete with the YET STILL cheaper 4870 at $299

    Perkam

  14. #14
    Xtreme Guru
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ace Deuce, Michigan
    Posts
    3,953
    These numbers seem too low compared to what Jimmyz got, and we aren't given resolutions, plus the drivers for one are old (should be using 8.6) and the cpu is probably bottlenecking the gpu
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

    JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

    terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)


    Regards, Hans

  15. #15
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    So the 200$ 4850 performs like a 200$ card. (8800GT at 160-170$ or so).

    That would put the 4870 against 9800GTX or so. And 4870X2 vs 280GTX. Seems nVidia is just toying with AMD yet again.
    Your conclusions based on a forum review that no one knows are just hilarious

    You have in this forum lots and lots of other information of HD 4850 beating 8800GT and almost on the 9800GTX level, but that review of that forum is the one to trust

    Man you are the top fanboy arround here
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    And AMD is only a CPU manufactor due to stolen technology and making clones.

  16. #16
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by v_rr View Post
    Your conclusions based on a forum review that no one knows are just hilarious

    You have in this forum lots and lots of other information of HD 4850 beating 8800GT and almost on the 9800GTX level, but that review of that forum is the one to trust

    Man you are the top fanboy arround here
    Ye im sure AMD would sell discounted cards instead of making the money they could. Glorious observation there. Or maybe AMD just likes to make a loss?

    This is just another " I told you so" like all the other times. Hype ftl!
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

  17. #17
    Xtreme Guru
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ace Deuce, Michigan
    Posts
    3,953
    Not necessarily, you fail to recall their move with the rv670. They could have priced it higher, but it was their agressive pricing that caused NVIDIA to launch g92 ahead of schedule and at such a low price. I'm fairly certain with the exception of Ruiz, the guys at AMD/ATI have a good notion of what they're doing and did that as a move to cut down nvidia's market share. In other words, expect them to continue with agressive pricing. AMD is probably following in intel's foot steps: they have the better manufacturing technology at hand and most likely the better product this time around, so they are willing to sacrifice profits in order to gain market share/slow down NVIDIA's growth and keep a nice lead over them
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

    JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

    terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)


    Regards, Hans

  18. #18
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    So the 200$ 4850 performs like a 200$ card. (8800GT at 160-170$ or so).

    That would put the 4870 against 9800GTX or so. And 4870X2 vs 280GTX. Seems nVidia is just toying with AMD yet again.
    Yeah,they sure are toying with someone,like with their shareholders ,since they have a HUGE,extremely expensive die which will perform slower or on par with a much cheaper card based on 2 RV770 dice.AMD just can't lose,be it cost or performance(just look at CF of 4850s,it blows 280GTX out of the water,let alone 4870X2 which should be at least 20% faster than 4850 CF).
    Oh and 4850 is faster than 8800GT,just wait for a real reviews,not some forum post(btw look at forum post in XS,especially jimmyz,the dude made a thread about his 4850s,it performs great)
    Last edited by informal; 06-18-2008 at 05:07 AM.

  19. #19
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Not necessarily, you fail to recall their move with the rv670. They could have priced it higher, but it was their agressive pricing that caused NVIDIA to launch g92 ahead of schedule and at such a low price. I'm fairly certain with the exception of Ruiz, the guys at AMD/ATI have a good notion of what they're doing and did that as a move to cut down nvidia's market share. In other words, expect them to continue with agressive pricing. AMD is probably following in intel's foot steps: they have the better manufacturing technology at hand and most likely the better product this time around, so they are willing to sacrifice profits in order to gain market share/slow down NVIDIA's growth and keep a nice lead over them
    RV670 was priced as what it could.

    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14311
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

  20. #20
    Xtreme X.I.P.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,682
    Cats 8.5...

  21. #21
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Yeah,they sure are toying with someone,like with their shareholders ,since they have a HUGE,extremely expensive die which will perform slower or on par with a much cheaper card based on 2 RV770 dice.AMD just can't lose,be it cost or performance(just look at CF of 4850s,it blows 280GTX out of the water,let alone 4870X2 which should be at least 20% faster than 4850 CF).
    Oh and 4850 is faster than 8800GT,just wait for a real reviews,not some forum post(btw look at forum post in XS,especially jimmyz,the dude made a thread about his 4850s,it performs great)
    You are running in the same track again and again. This is basicly a copy/paste of your RV670 prediction..or rather dreamwishes. Yet it turned out completely different. And so it will again.

    After that we can spend 6 months hearing about how the next driver will fix everything.

    Not even to talk about nVidia earn ALOT of money, AMD(ATI) loses money again and again.
    Last edited by Shintai; 06-18-2008 at 05:12 AM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

  22. #22
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    579
    so to conclude 4850 sucks since the 8800gt are still drop in price.
    we going shh around the corner

  23. #23
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,173
    Instead clutching at straws,please provide the information that disproves what i wrote.
    Is the GTX200 a huge die?Yes.
    Does it have poorer yields and cost way more to produce than RV770?Yes.
    Does it perform worse than 4850CFed?Yes.4870 in CF will demolish GTX280.
    Will 4870X2 be faster than 4850CF?Yes.
    Will 4870X2 cost less(from what we know by now)?Yes.

  24. #24
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    965
    Thanks for the review, just one detail they could improve:

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoLKoRn View Post


    <looks at scale>


  25. #25
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    912
    Hahaha.

    Looks like TweakTown graphs..

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •