Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help: Need advice for specific parts of my new build/loop. Any help is appreciated!

Xtreme Member
    Hi Iany.
    So far for pumps I was thinking about 2 MCP355 from frozencpu, one with the xspc reservoir on top and one just regular
    Is that good enough for the whole setup? The 2 mcp355s?
    I will get a 120.2 and a 120.3 Ian.
    Just making sure the 2 pumps are enough to drive my loops now. The GPU loop should get enough pressure from the CPU loop shouldn't it? Since the priority here is making sure our cpu has the best cooling?
    Also for barbs am I buying the right ones for my setup?
    They're the :
    Thermochill 1/2IN Chrome Plated Barb Fitting G3/8 Threads *Single Barb*
    " G3/8" BSP 1/2" Fitting
    3/8" BSP Threaded barb without rubber O-Ring - PTFE Tape required to seal. 2x fittings required per radiator. "

Xtreme Member
    bump does this sound okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Broly View Post
    Hi Iany.
    So far for pumps I was thinking about 2 MCP355 from frozencpu, one with the xspc reservoir on top and one just regular
    Is that good enough for the whole setup? The 2 mcp355s?
    I will get a 120.2 and a 120.3 Ian.
    Just making sure the 2 pumps are enough to drive my loops now. The GPU loop should get enough pressure from the CPU loop shouldn't it? Since the priority here is making sure our cpu has the best cooling?
    Also for barbs am I buying the right ones for my setup?
    They're the :
    Thermochill 1/2IN Chrome Plated Barb Fitting G3/8 Threads *Single Barb*
    " G3/8" BSP 1/2" Fitting
    3/8" BSP Threaded barb without rubber O-Ring - PTFE Tape required to seal. 2x fittings required per radiator. "

I think you need to read up and spend the time learning. You are a bit confused.

The cpu loop and the gpu loop are totally independent. They have nothing to do with each other. Any pressure in the cpu loop will have no bearing on the gpus, vice versa.

Therefore, if you are foregoing regular reservoirs and using the XSPC reservoir top fo rthe DDC3.2 (good choice), then you will need two of them.

The PA120.2 and PA120.3 strategy is fine. However, you missed out on one of the most important component: which fans you would be using, and how the fans will be set up. All discussions of radiator cooling are meaningless without knowing which fans you intend to use.

I would advise you to pass on the Thermochill barbs that come without rubber O-rings. Those require PTFE tape to seal, which is one more thing that can go wrong.

EK, Bitspower and a few other manufacturers sell nickel-plated brass barbs that come with an O-ring. These do not require PTFE tape to seal. Make sure you find barbs in the G-3/8 size, and not the G-1/4 size. G-3/8 represents the barb threads, then choose between 1/2" or 3/8" barb size.

One more thing. I'm trying to be gentle on you, but what I say is for your own good.

Its not possible to not sound rude and obnoxious. I have to sound like a jackass. Otherwise, I'll just be polite and say nothing.

At the rate you are going, you are headed down the road to water cooling tragedy. You really need to learn before you do anything. You are asking some very elementary things, and making basic conceptual mistakes.

The part about the gpu loop pump pressure boosting pump pressure in the cpu loop scares me to death. The part about ordering antiquated barbs that require PTFE tape is not good at all. Even Thermochill has revised barbs that don't need PTFE tape.

Chasing After Diety
    im lost here.

you want 1 loop with 2 radiators?

or you splitting the loop up?

If its one loop, i recomend you split them up.
    Having everything in 1 loop can lead to nightmares and when you need to take down your rig, you'll have issues.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    I wanted to supercool the water with 2 rads and run one loop but I've decided to run 2 distinct loops.
    ing ncix sold out of mcp355 pumps. Any canadians know where to buy 2?

Chasing After Diety
    I wanted to supercool the water with 2 rads and run one loop but I've decided to run 2 distinct loops.
    ing ncix sold out of mcp355 pumps. Any canadians know where to buy 2?
    supercool and ambients dont belong in the same catigory.

when i think supercool i think TEC's and phase.

when i think water i think ambients. :P

Your lower point for coolant temps will always be ambient unless you put energy into your system. Hence why you cant get supercool on water. :P

Well maybe if you had super cold air though your rads, but that would cause other problems like frozen water in radiator.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

With the QX9650 and the GTX280 SLI you intend to cool, be thankful if you can even get to 25 above ambient on load.

Xtreme Member
    hehe IanY I wasn't talking about supercooling in the literal sense.
    That's much too hard to achieve, and I don't want crystals in my loop
    Is the the laing 3.2 pump the best then? Danger den gouges so hard on shipping I"m looking elsewhere for it

I'm thinking about buying fluorinert as the fluid in my loop

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Broly, I also have the QX9650 and the S2E and the PC-V2110B.I have the 8800GTX in SLi as opposed to the GTX 280s that you have. I have been thinking long & hard about going watercooling and doing my research. I probably will go water cooling after maybe a month or two after I save up.

These are the parts that I had in mind:

DDC3.2 with the XSPC top and res x2
    XSPC Laing DDC Stand x2
    D-tek FuZion v2 with quad core mid-chamber insert x1
    EK full cover blocks with nickel plating for my 8800GTXs x2
    PA 120.3 for CPU and NB x1
    PA 120.2 for my gfx cards x1
    Feser F1 coolant (1 litre)
    Tygon R-3603 7/16'' ID 9/16'' OD tubing(6 to 8 ft)
    Bitspower Premium G3/8" High Flow 1/2" Fitting x4 for the rads
    Bitspower Premium G1/4" High Flow 1/2" Fitting - Black Sparkle Finish (for the rest) x8
    clamps(whatever brand and type not decided yet) - Eventhough my plan was to use 7/16'' tubing which will fit snuggily without clamps over 1/2'' fittings, it's advisable to clamp it down.
    D12SM-12 yateloons x6 from petras
    Kaze master fan controller.

You could switch the rads around for your loops since you are using GTX 280s, using the 120.3 for the gfx and the 120.2 for the CPU+NB

Now for the installation of the rads, I was thinking internal @ the bottom chamber for both. I was measuring the dimensions of the case and it looks like I might be able to fit both rads internally even with the longer PSU(TT 1000W modular) and the HDD racks removed, moving my HDDs into the 5 1/4'' bays as somebody else here had suggested. But the problem is with the air flow. With the case closed there is no way for the hot air to escape, which means the hot air will circulate inside the case, as the only way out for the hot air to escape is through the upper chamber where there is a fan sucking it out. I was thinking maybe I will remove the plate that is covering the additional PSU slot, but then dust will be a problem. Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by tekjunkie; 07-09-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    i7 Rigs
    Mobo:EVGA Classified/Foxconn BR
    CPU:W3540/i7 920(D0)
    RAM: Dominator GT 2000 cl7/Patriot DDR3-2000 cl8
    GPU:Sapphire 4870x2/XFX 4890/ GTX 260 tri-sli

Lappy:
    Late 2008 "Unibody" MBP 2.4 GHZ(with OCZ Vertex 250GB)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    IanY is right you need two completely separate loops for what you are doing. Two XSPC tops for two DDC pumps. As for coolant I would recommend Feser in whatever color you want. This is a pic with two loops with the XSPC tops. Both loops are completely independent of each other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1307.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	81856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	81857  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow dual loops in a Cosmos. Do you have the rads mounted on top.
    i7 Rigs
    Mobo:EVGA Classified/Foxconn BR
    CPU:W3540/i7 920(D0)
    RAM: Dominator GT 2000 cl7/Patriot DDR3-2000 cl8
    GPU:Sapphire 4870x2/XFX 4890/ GTX 260 tri-sli

Lappy:
    Late 2008 "Unibody" MBP 2.4 GHZ(with OCZ Vertex 250GB)

Xtreme Member
    I finished my loop, very hasty atm.
    Few questions, my lines are very tight and there are no leaks except for minor dripping on my reservoirs since I didn't get the adapter ( forgot to) , right now using plumber putty to prevent the leak.
    Any canadians know where to get the adapter that will fit on the rad and allow 3/8 compression fittings (bitspower branded) on them?
    Also I'm getting a lot of bubblage in my CPU loop. The loop isn't exposed to air, I have 2 dd acrylic tops with 2 reservoirs and pumps, the pumps are both sending to the reservoir first (when looking at the inlets on the pump, the right is to the radiator, the left is from the end of the loop), I'm wondering how I can fix this? The lines are TIGHT (exception of the radiators but I explained why) the thing is though for my pa120.3 that is cooling my gpu i am not getting those kinda bubbles, i'm getting less foamy ones but little bubbles in that too, could this all be from the sealing of the radiator?
    Also can someone point me to the right place for that adaptor?

Also can I volt mod my pump and up the speed? My loop is rather awkward until I get a dremel

Xtreme Member
    bump
    Need help finding the proper G3/8 to G1/4 bushings for my rads with an oring.

Xtreme Addict
    I finished my loop, very hasty atm.
    Few questions, my lines are very tight and there are no leaks except for minor dripping on my reservoirs since I didn't get the adapter ( forgot to) , right now using plumber putty to prevent the leak.

Also can someone point me to the right place for that adaptor?

Also can I volt mod my pump and up the speed? My loop is rather awkward until I get a dremel
    It sounds like you are rushing into this far too quickly, it'll only end in pain.

You shouldn't be content with a leak, no matter how "small" it is, it'll only get worse over time. I know you need the adapters, but why not wait till you have everything you need before putting the loop together? Are you in that much of a hurry?

As for stores, i Canada there's only NCIX as far as i know. Have you looked at the US stores that ship internationally? Petra's, Performance PCs, Sidewinders are all good and don't charge too much shipping (depending on your order of course).

I got my G3/8 to G1/4 adaptors from www.chilledpc.co.uk, i haven't seen them anywhere else.

Can i genuinly suggest that you take a bit more time to read up on the sticky's, also have a poke around and see what others are doing? You'll learn a ton and it'll save you in the long run.

Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12