Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Need advice for specific parts of my new build/loop. Any help is appreciated!

Xtreme Member

Help: Need advice for specific parts of my new build/loop. Any help is appreciated!

Hi guys, I'm a newb to watercooling.

I've done some reading now and I'm really torn between the PA120.3 and PA160.1 reservoirs. Can you guys outline specific instances in which would be best?
    My parts that needs cooling will be:

Striker II Extreme
    Qx9650
    2 GTX 280 SLI

Now I know that the reservoir is one thing, another is loops, pumps and overall size. I really don't care how big the stuff is as long as it fits in my V2110B, but I'm really worried that my 280 SLI loop will DESTROY my temps. I'm wondering how many loops you guys recommend and which reservoirs I'd use to cool between the loops. I'm assuming since the GTX280s have very high TDW that i'd need a much bigger one than the CPU and MOTHERBOARD but I'd like to build a lasting setup

Any suggestions would be great guys.

Thx
    Last edited by Broly; 06-29-2008 at 09:16 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    You'll want a RADIATOR (not a res). You'll need a 120.3 rad for just the GPU's. And a pump etc.

You will need a 160.1 or a 120.2 just for the CPU. And a pump etc.

Thats TWO completly seperate loops.

Rad x2
    pump x2
    hose x2
    fittings x2
    res or fill port x2

get the idea?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    yeah sorry I got the words confused.

What radiator should I get for my motherboard, then?

Xtreme Member
    bump
    I need more help building my loop.
    Can anyone help?
    I bought a 160.1 for my cpu
    a 120.3 for my gpus.
    Which pump should I get for them?

I am wondering which rad I need to cool my mobo
    Thank sguys

Xtreme Member
    pump ddc 3.2 with xspc top is one of the best
    Cooler Master Haf X
    i5 3750k
    Asrock Xtreme 4
    660 Ti

Xtreme Member
    assuming a big enough radiator that's able to cool all devices. isn't it possible to build a single loop and split the cool water exiting the pump to two using a y connection?
    splitting it to two to create "two" loops using one pump and one radiator

Xtreme Member
    Well right now I thought 2 gtx 280s would atleast need a pa120.3 to themselves.
    My QX would be using the 160.1 obviously. I'm wondering if the 160.1 would be capable of cooling my motherboard and my CPU since my CPU doesn't get extremely hot...
    the ddc 3.2 xpc pump, would it be sufficient for both rads I'm purchasing?

Also what reservoirs do you guys recommend, obvioulsly 1 reservoir... for this whole loop?

Xtreme Member
    also I"m wondering what other pumps? NCIX doesn't have the ddc 3.2 ;(

Xtreme Member
    i am thinking about the mcp355.
    Would i Need 3 loops to include my motherboard or would 2 do the trick and I can include my motherboard and CPU in the same loop of the pa160.1?

Is the mcp355 pump a good alternative? Please guys it's urgent I need to purchase this stuff today to make sure it all comes quicker.

The MCP355 is just Swiftech's trade model for the DDC3.2 pump. They are the exact same pump. Same appearance, same model and same specifications.

However, you will need modified pump tops. In stock form, the MPC355 is not a spectacular pump.

DO NOT RUSH... you need to read and learn.. there is a lot to learn. Rushing will get you into a lot of very costly mistakes. The good watercooler sometimes spends more than a month, or even three months, just learning.
    Last edited by IanY; 06-29-2008 at 12:49 PM.

I am Xtreme
    The clear DD top works well as it fits compression barbs and allows you to use the top hole connected to a short length of hose and a copper plug to fill and bleed air. No T link or reservoir needed. While I have not tested it against other tops . . .I am sure the difference between any two tops will not net you a significant temp or flow difference . . .emphasis on the work SIGNIFICANT . . .this being your first loop . . .the delta would not be noticeable to you. The ease of usage I have outlined will be noticeable.

Understand that no matter which brand of DDC3.2 you choose, or whatever modified top you choose, the moment you open up your DDC3.2, the warranty is immediately void. No RMAs are possible. Its true with the Swiftech MCP355, the Danger Den version of DDC3.2 or the Alphacool branded pump. Just be aware.

Xtreme Member
    bump
    Hi guys

Thanks for your kind advice and your concern, at this moment I"m not rushing to build it but get it. When I get it I will definitely ask questions and everything before I even try, right now I just want to make sure I have everything to get great temps.

I know this sounds repetitive, but is 2 pumps with 2 rads enough for my mobo, cpu and GPUs?

I'm buying 2 BFG H2ocs, I'm hoping the pa120.3 can cool them.
    I am also buying a pa160.1 for my qx9650, my question is will this be sufficient to cool the motherboard as well or should I buy another rad? I am just wanting to purchase this now to get it out of the way and then when I get it I can sit down and enjoy the research/building.

What would you guys suggest? I was thinking for my CPU block I'd get the EK supreme or the DTEK Fuzion with the accelerator nozzles but I heard it causes too much disruption in the pressure drops and flowrates only in the block, but if we accept bernoulli's equation then it affects the system.

Is there anything else I need for optimum temps on a S2E, qx9650 and 280gtx sli?
    My parts list so far:

Thermochill Pa 120.3 Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator *No Barbs*
    This product cannot be exchanged. Final sale only. No returns or refunds.

Thermochill 1/2IN Chrome Plated Barb Fitting G3/8 Threads *Single Barb*

Thermochill PA160.1 Single 160MM Water Cooling Radiator with 120MM Shroud *No Barbs*

Primochill Stainless Steel Worm Drive Hose Clamps for 1/2IN OD Tubing (2 Pack)
    Primochill PC Ice NON-CONDUCTIVE Water Replacement 32OZ - Clear

Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Red 3/8IN ID 1/2IN OD Tubing (10 Feet)

Swiftech MCP355 High Performance 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 3/8IN Barbs x2

I am just worrying I'm missing some crucial pieces before I order and I want to make sure the whole setup will come. The rush is just getting it here and making sure I have everything.

What kind of reservoir do you guys recommend?

Is my setup okay so far?
    Last edited by Broly; 06-29-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Xtreme Member
    bump, sorry
    I am really worried I"m missing something

You seem to have a good budget, so I would make the following recommendation:

First of all, slow down, you don't need to oredr everything in one go. Relax and learn.

You should get the Mountain Mods Ascension case, specially the Trinity Front, Horizon back.. otherwise known as the Big Daddy Special. Look at the case in these links:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=192343

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=184057

This is the link to order:

http://www.mountainmods.com/ascensio...own-p-483.html

Don't waste your time on a PA160.1.

Order yourself three PA120.3s. They are available on the Mountain Mods website.

I'll let you digest this before going on......

Xtreme Member
    I am not going to be that hardcore of a watercooler Ian, thanks for the recommendation on that case though..
    I'll be using a Lian Li v2110B case. IT has plenty of room below for everything since I only have one hard drive.

I am wondering how I would approach the rads in my setup?
    I thought a 120.3 for my GPUs (1 rad for both) and a 160.1 for my CPU would be okay

These things seem really big, I wouldn't want 3 120.1's... They'll be pouring out of my case

Isn't a 160.1 and 120.3 enough for the 2 cards and the cpu? What about the motherboard

You should strip the chipset blocks on your Striker II Extreme and replace them with the appropriate EK NB, SB and Mosfet water blocks.

You haven't yet specified your CPU block. That is important.

At a minimum, you should run two independent loops, isolating the GTX280 SLI heat from the CPU.

I'll slow down for now.

A 160.1 is enough for the cpu. Just don't go putting anything else in the cpu loop. The QX is a hot sucker.

If that's all the radiators you want, I would water cool your chipset blocks using the stock block together with the video cards. It'll work. Don't go buying dedicated NB/SB/mosfet blocks. That 120.3 will be overwhelmed.

I have no idea how you are going to fit a 160.1 into that Lian Li case, but you would know. Good luck.

Xtreme Member
    From the dimensions it seems it would fit.
    I was thinking about keeping the stock block from the beginning sadly :/ (Not that hardcore about cooling it to the lowest I can, just in thise case).
    The 160.1 and pa120.3 will be more than enough for this loop then?
    I do need 2 pumps right? but do both pumps need the reservoirs attached on top or does just one?

I'm trying to figure this all out too, just seeing what I can use and can't use and how I can improve my setup using my current case.
    I was thinking the EK Supreme Acetal if it fits... Would it?

Xtreme Member
    bumpq

Xtreme Member
    the reservoirs are for convenient purposes only, they contain a lot of water compared to a T line so bleeding them is easier (also for watching the water level) but a T line is a LOT cheaper.

would someone answer my question?

Xtreme Member
    bump,
    anyone have more suggestoins?
    is the difference between a 120.2 and pa160.1 huge?
    If not I'm wondering if getting a 120.2 for safety's sake in fitment would be a good idea?

If you want to use the EK Supreme as your cpu block, you have to be particularly concerned about pumping head pressure. At a minimum, you will need a top notch modified top for your DDC3.2. It is highly advisable to double up on DDC3.2s in series, since you want to use the EK Supreme. Its a very good cpu block, one of the best, but it works using jet impingement, and therefore is highly restrictive. It is paramount that you need pumping pressure.

Don't think you can get away with just a stock Swiftech MCP355 without a modified top. In stock form, the barbs are fixed at 3/8", and the pumping pressure is somewhat less than optimal.

As far as radiators go, I would advise you to get the best possible radiator for your cpu. It is the most important part of your computer, and shoving a PA160.1 for the cpu whil putting a big PA120.3 for the video cards is just not the best strategy, even if you don't want the lowest possible temps.

If you can fit a PA120.3 and a PA120.2 into the Lian Li, then by all means do so. Its cramped, but that's the way it goes.

In summary, you need at least modified tops for the cpu loop and the gpu loop. If you can, I would put two pumps in series for the cpu loop, both with modified tops. For the gpu loop, you may be satisfied with the way it is.

You can get away with using a PA160.1 for the cpu, if you really want to go that route. Its not my machine, but I myself wouldn't do it. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, and given your budget, I would step out of that Lian Li. I have a bunch of Lian Lis at home, and they are fabulous cases, but not meant for high end water cooling (I know I'm going to catch flack for that remark) because in the end, they are still too darn small.

Xtreme Member
    You must be able to get away with something like 2 pa 120.3's in that case.
    I've got the same case and lian li has the option for mounting a radiator on top. You can remove al the hdd bay's at the bottom with tons of space for a second pa 120.3.
    And then get an hdd silencer ore something to mount your hdd in a 5,25 bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast