Thread: HD 4850 CF Problems

HD 4850 CF Problems

Sorry to make my first post a help needed post, but I cannot get my crossfire to function properly. My setup consists of:

PCP&C 750W Quad Blue PSU

Intel E8400

Biostar TPower I45

2x Diamond HD 4850's

Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 2x2GB

Running one card works great, no problems at all. However with two cards... these are the steps I take. When running CF, i have to change a jumper on the board to change the pci-e from 1 at 16x to two at 8x. I change the jumper. Then, I put on both of the bridges (and I've tried just one as well.) When I boot up (Vista 64-bit Home Premium), I can log in, but once I hit the desktop it tells me my drivers are inadequate. This occurs with the preloaded 8.5's, 8.6, 8.6 +hotfix, 8.7 beta and 8.7 official. While it does tell me that the drivers are the problem, I can't help but think (or maybe hope is more accurate) that the 8.7's should have fixed my problem. After talking to Diamond support, they decided the most likely culprit are the bridges, so new ones are on the way. I'm just checking to see what opinions I get here. I value the information I get here, and I hope you can help! Thanks!

UPDATE: Crossfire is now functional. Although now I am getting artifacting and general freaking-out in Vantage, especially Jane Nash and the Flag Feature Test, but also a little in new calico and the sunrise/set on the mountain village one.
    Last edited by tapauly; 07-26-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Fixed it, kind of.

I´m having a problem too

Tepauly,
    I´ve got a problem just like yours.

With one card it works great.
    With two cards the system starts ok, load windows properly.
    Both cards are funcionally and tested alone.
    In crossfire mode Catalyst show both cards ok, but anything i do the uses a little biy of video feature (running a game a movie a video flie a DVD makes the system crash completely!!!

How did you fixed your Issue?

Thanks for your time
    Tiago Martins from Brasil
    --------------------------------
    C2Q Q9300
    Biostar Tpower I45
    PowerColor HD4850 x2
    Crucial Tracer DDR2 1066 4 x 1Gb
    PSU 720w

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh, well the P45 chipsets aren't the best for CrossFire - not to sure why you need to enable all of these jumpers though and go through all these steps... The best boards for CF are the x48 and x38 platforms.
    i7 860 @ 4.2Ghz | ASUS Maximus III Formula | 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | ATi 5970 | 3x WD Raptor X HDD's | NZXT Khaos Case | Corsair 1000w PSU | Swiftech H20 Cooling CPU | Windows 7 x64 | Sony Bravia 52" LCD Display

3DMark06 Score - 20k Club | Youtube Account

Xtreme Addict
    there is probably a BIOS feature you have to enable. at least that's what people had to do to make CrossFire work on P35 and P965 boards. check and see if your motherboard has its own thread in the Hardware/Intel section. you'd probably find more specific help there.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64