Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking made easy, Phenom 9850BE @ 790GX @ AMD Overdrive Extreme

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SocketMan View Post
    I am seeing all these crazy 3.4/3.5/3.7's overclocks then I look
    at our little Phenom database and for 24/7 usage it's about 3.1 or so ?
    Which (for me) is fine but what people are "hitting" and what the same people are running 24/7 is quite different.
    You know: I see the same issue with another popular CPU from another company. Many of that brand's proponents jump into this forum to tell us how their grandma can hit 3.6Ghz on air with ease... and if you use any effort then anyone can hit 4.0Ghz. BUT: If you look at the Futurmark ORB and read other forums... it appears that the "real" average overclock is more like 3.2Ghz-3.4Ghz at the MAX for "everyday" use. And generally 3.0Ghz and lower for people that are being conservative.

I think there are 7 levels of overclocking:

1. OMG it booted. I can get a screenshot!
    2. Wow. Cool: I can validate at this speed.
    3. Hey, look at these benchmarks; impressive aren't they?
    4. Prime95 is totally stable but the machine is hot and the fans are noisy. (SOME people will use this for normal use.)
    5. Normal overclock run speed. (Most people will use this for normal use.)
    6. Stock. (Where 99% of the people run their machines.)
    7. Underclocked. Where zombies and people running media centers run their machines. :-)
    Last edited by keithlm; 06-20-2008 at 07:40 AM.
    FX-8350, Powercolor ATI R9 290X LCS, OCZ Vertex 4, Crosshair V Forumula-Z, AMD Radeon DDR3-2133 2x8Gb, Corsair HX1000W, Thermaltake Xaser VI, Xonar D2X, Water Cooling 140.3

Xtreme Member
    nice overclock
    Intel Celeron 430 @ 3.4 GHZ
    Gigabyte EP31-DS3L
    Cheap 1GB PC2-6400 800MHz
    Powercolor 4870 PCS+ 512MB DDR5
    Hitachi Deskstar 80GB
    Creative DVD 8x
    CoolMax 500W
    Windows Xp media center 2005
    BenQ T22IW

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by crowncobra View Post
    nice overclock
    thank you, will try again under water next week.

or some extreme coolings later.

been lurking for awhile now, quick Q:

Can someone try the 790GX+9600BE B2 please. The low price on a B2 Quad is worth investigating the potential IMO.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey guys,check out the latest INQ take on Radeon 4870X2,it contains some 45nm Phenom info and 65nm clocking on now already "mythical" 790GX motherboards:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...d4870x2-corner

HD4870x2 just around the corner

Daamit tells gagged hacks

By Blinking Nora: Monday, 23 June 2008, 9:51 PM

IN A MALAGAN BUNKER, AMD's borged graphics gang divluged their latest 3D battle plan to a gaggle of gagged hacks.

These were alegedly chained in a room with a real live 45nm Phenom lurking behind the curtains. No-one's sure whether it was turned on.

Daamiteers were on hand to overclock current 65nm Phenoms to 3.3GHz using nothing but sneaky software.

Why! Those pesky Nvidians can't even name their cards properly let alone sell any! the Daamiteers cried. They're up to their eyeballs in inventory!

And, having gotten its act together - unlike the chip chaps that borged them, said one - AMD's graphics divison will launch the HD4870X2 sooner rather than later, they proclaimed.

And it will be dressed entirely in black just like the 9800GX2. µ

Xtreme Member
    push push more
    Intel Celeron 430 @ 3.4 GHZ
    Gigabyte EP31-DS3L
    Cheap 1GB PC2-6400 800MHz
    Powercolor 4870 PCS+ 512MB DDR5
    Hitachi Deskstar 80GB
    Creative DVD 8x
    CoolMax 500W
    Windows Xp media center 2005
    BenQ T22IW

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 01Lude View Post
    been lurking for awhile now, quick Q:

Can someone try the 790GX+9600BE B2 please. The low price on a B2 Quad is worth investigating the potential IMO.
    To be honest... I'd rather try my 9850 on that motherboard.

But alas... it's not available yet. Maybe later this week.
    FX-8350, Powercolor ATI R9 290X LCS, OCZ Vertex 4, Crosshair V Forumula-Z, AMD Radeon DDR3-2133 2x8Gb, Corsair HX1000W, Thermaltake Xaser VI, Xonar D2X, Water Cooling 140.3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    And it will be dressed entirely in black just like the 9800GX2.
    Hmmm... BE GPU's, BE CPU's... Now only need BE Sapphire style motherboard (like their first motherboards, but now working very good instead of flaky).... I like it

I hope they will release RS780D along with 4870... Although i wont buy RS780D but rather 790FX/SB750 board, but still
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Xtreme Cruncher
    I was intrigued by the "OCed Phenoms to 3.3Ghz with nothing but a nothing but sneaky software" .Lets hope SB750 is a new "must have" with Phenoms since 3.3Ghz with air cooling is very very very good .Many users would go for 9850/9950 +790GX combo ,now that new Radeons are kicking NV but left and right .It could be that AMD will have the ultimate platform with :almost perfect quad core chip ,perfect mobo/chipset and perfect Graphics cards .All this for much lower price and better perf./$ than "other" solutions might offer (especially on the motherboard front).

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, cheapest 9850's I saw were low 180's, some even 170+ Euro. New DFI motherboards on pre-order (with SB750) from the DK range only 120~130 Euro. Cheap GPU's as well, already compatible with Deneb... Hmmm

If only this would all be available *sigh*
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

Xtreme Addict
    From what ive found it seems that the Black edition Phenoms have 6 curently unused pins that are crucial to overclocking. They are unused by the SB600 but will be/are used by the SB700/SB750. It seems AMD has built these CPU's this way for just this reason.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammsteiner View Post

If only this would all be available *sigh*

Agreed. Of course the day I order a new SB750 MB... will be the day I figure out the settings OR gigabyte releases a new bios for this DS5 allowing it to actually run stable.

But if I can get a new MB that gives me stability AND lets me hit 3.4Ghz or more... I'll be happy. If Joe Average like me can hit 3.4Ghz... then with an effort I'm hoping serious overclockers can hit 3.6Ghz-3.8Ghz or even 4.0Ghz.

I want tears from the people that have been dancing around singing the "AMD Can't Overclock worth crud" song. I also want to see how a Phenom scales against the competition at higher clock speeds. (I have been hypothesizing for awhile that at higher clock speeds... the Phenom will gain more per MHz than the competition... so I want to see that proven true.)

"There, There... Please show us on this little doll where the nasty Phenom advocate touched you and made you cry."

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    From what ive found it seems that the Black edition Phenoms have 6 curently unused pins that are crucial to overclocking. They are unused by the SB600 but will be/are used by the SB700/SB750. It seems AMD has built these CPU's this way for just this reason.
    it's too bad I didn't try my 9850BE in that jetway HA06 with sb700 then O_o..... that board is only a $104 on newegg too.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Addict
    Google "phenom hidden pins"
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

the jedi master
    I bet Metro has info on the pins that do this, I know I would love to know more about how this works.

Anthing more you can share?
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    it's too bad I didn't try my 9850BE in that jetway HA06 with sb700 then O_o..... that board is only a $104 on newegg too.
    I think you can forget about that. SB750 features some special external connection with SB750 and the pins on Phenom AFAIK. SB700 doesnt offer this connection. It most it should fix idle freezing, but I even doubt increased OC's.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammsteiner View Post
    I think you can forget about that. SB750 features some special external connection with SB750 and the pins on Phenom AFAIK. SB700 doesnt offer this connection. It most it should fix idle freezing, but I even doubt increased OC's.
    I've been so tempted buy the Jetway HA06 with the SB700. I'm sure that if you can get better stability with the SB700 you can probably overclock better than a board that isn't even stable at stock speeds.

But I've held off and waited... and put up with this nasty little bilch that I have now... I've been patient.

Actually: I might run out and grab 2x4850 at bestbuy today. (Generally I don't shop there... but it is the same price... and I can have them with no waiting. It's all about instant gratification.)

(NOTE: I don't like the $300-$320 price tag I see for the 4870... I think I'd rather have 2x4850.)

Who knows... perhaps having ATI cards which are PCIe 2.0 might stabilize this nasty Gigabyte motherboard. (My 8800GTS/640 is not PCIe 2.0) Although to be honest... I HOPE not... I don't want to be happy in any way with this motherboard. I want it GONE.
    Last edited by keithlm; 06-26-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keithlm View Post
    I've been so tempted buy the Jetway HA06 with the SB700. I'm sure that if you can get better stability with the SB700 you can probably overclock better than a board that isn't even stable at stock speeds.

But I've held off and waited... and put up with this nasty little bilch that I have now... I've been patient.

Actually: I might run out and grab 2x4850 at bestbuy today. (Generally I don't shop there... but it is the same price... and I can have them with no waiting. It's all about instant gratification.)

(NOTE: I don't like the $300-$320 price tag I see for the 4870... I think I'd rather have 2x4850.)

Who knows... perhaps having ATI cards which are PCIe 2.0 might stabilize this nasty Gigabyte motherboard. (My 8800GTS/640 is not PCIe 2.0) Although to be honest... I HOPE not... I don't want to be happy in any way with this motherboard. I want it GONE.
    Nothing helps with that DS5, I returned mine a few weeks ago for a K9A2. I should have known better after looking at the DS4 and seeing the 9850 support to assume the DS5 did aswell.

Xtreme Mentor
    I actually do have that board(Jetway HA06 with the SB700.) it's loads times are faster then sb600.
    I did not test it with my 9850 be though.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Addict
    Rammsteiner it is said that with the SB700 on a good quality board can get a stable 24/7 3.0ghz oc about 200mhz better then SB600 and with SB750 a stable 3.2 and 3.4 with a little volage boost.....wich is far beyond the sb600 and thats using only muli's so has nothing to do with ht bus stability.

I agree thow that probly not much gain with a $100 dollar board.
    Last edited by G0ldBr1ck; 06-27-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Xtreme Addict
    keithlm: Noticed in your sig that your using G.skill ram on your DS5. I had terrable problems on my board for a long time trying everything and nothing helped untill i dropped in diffrent ram (dominators) and all my troubles disapiered completely I was using the same ram as you and it was the problem for me.

The dominators are real cheap on newegg now and they overclock good, i havent tried to see how far they will OC but I know they work flawless at 1120mhz. As you can see in my sig I moved the G.Skill ram to my x2 system@800mhz and they dont give much trouble in that config.
    Last edited by G0ldBr1ck; 06-27-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    keithlm: Noticed in your sig that your using G.skill ram on your DS5. I had terrable problems on my board for a long time trying everything and nothing helped untill i dropped in diffrent ram (dominators) and all my troubles disapiered completely I was using the same ram as you and it was the problem for me.

The dominators are real cheap on newegg now and they overclock good, i havent tried to see how far they will OC but I know they work flawless at 1120mhz. As you can see in my sig I moved the G.Skill ram to my x2 system@800mhz and they dont give much trouble in that config.
    I have thought about the ram... and Daveburt said he had that same ram and switched.. but it did NOT fix his problems.

Plus I just dropped $400.00 for the new 4850's. (And got 14,000 on my 3dMark06. <insert Happy grin> But that was at stock. I want at least 16,000.)

I had planned on ordering new ram when I get my new sb750 board. But I might order the ram sooner now that I hear that the sb750's might be a few weeks late.

(But at this time... even if the new ram fixes my stability problems... it does not matter... I am SO GETTING a new sb750 board.l I want to see some good sb750 overclocking... and I wouldn't mind being one of them. Although I never really run at overclock speeds... but it is fun to just see what you can do.)

WTF... I had some friday margaratas and am feeling good now... I'll go order new ram tonight. I'm thinking OCZ Reapers... because OCZ Tony is a regular here... the dominators look good with the cooling though... and with these newer video cards... I can feel HEAT. (Although I'm sure I'll buy new coolers for both cards within 1 month. OH... and I can't really feel heat from them... it's just that the temperature when up here in Colorado in the last day... so to me... IT MUST BE THOSE HOT CARDS.)

Xtreme Addict
    Rammsteiner it is said that with the SB700 on a good quality board can get a stable 24/7 3.0ghz oc about 200mhz better then SB600 and with SB750 a stable 3.2 and 3.4 with a little volage boost.....wich is far beyond the sb600 and thats using only muli's so has nothing to do with ht bus stability.

I agree thow that probly not much gain with a $100 dollar board.
    It was said it was for the upcoming 2.8Ghz BE's though. Not sure if it was used as an example or only from there and up.

However, whether or not it's only starting from 2.8Ghz BE, SB700 does have the +200Mhz feature. I meant more in the direction that you won't get much over that while the SB750 actually might go over 3.2Ghz.

This depends on the CPU though, however since they say SB750 + 2.8Ghz Phenom BE = 3.2Ghz... I think more and more, if this 2.8Ghz isnt a Deneb, that current Phenoms actually can run guaranteed 3.2Ghz, but we need that special connection for it.

If true, that would be awesome. 3.2Ghz alone is a huge bump. As I run stock now, it does its job. However you notice a performance drop compared to the old X2 6400+ running 3.5Ghz. 3.2Ghz Phenom would really be awesome

I hope AMD really gets their stuff right with the SB750 and its connection so we can get near Windsor F3 clocks
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the board is available now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    YAY!

Greetings KenofStephen.

Anything new to dazzle us with? Some Deneb benchmarks perhaps?

(If you don't have anything... just respond saying that you don't have any results. We will all know the real truth. Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge.)

(Or by not saying anything. That will also work. Then we'll sit and wait knowing that soon we'll be dazzled by something.)
    Last edited by keithlm; 10-29-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast