Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: looking to uprade my camera

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by disruptfam View Post
    sorry if i didn't mention this earlier but i'am by no means a pro...it will be my 1st dslr.

I Don't plan to become a pro as such more of a hobby atm but i may go in that direction.

Now if i did get a d60 could the lenses i bought for the d60 work with the d80?
    Sure, they will work but the other way around may not always be true. Some older lenses wont suit the D60.
    //RETIRED-o00o--°(_)°--o00o-OVERCLOCKER//

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    Sure, they will work but the other way around may not always be true. Some older lenses wont suit the D60.
    im looking @ the 18-55mm vr for starters.

Say a year or so down the track i upgraded to a d300 for example.Could i use that lens on that body?
    Last edited by disruptfam; 07-22-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Addict
    im looking @ the 15-55mm vr for starters.

Say a year or so down the track i upgraded to a d300 for example.Could i use that lens on that body?
    Yeap same Nikon F type mount.

I am Xtreme
    Yeap same Nikon F type mount.
    thanks mate

Xtreme Addict
    I think you guys are forgetting several things (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. This will be his first DSLR.
    2. He has a strict 800AUD budget for camera + accessories + lens.
    3. He just wants to go into DSLRs as a hobby (not pro).

You are recommending high end cameras such as the D80, which have nice features but aren't meant for the entry level hobbyist. I don't think that anyone can challenge the argument that at the strict budget of 800AUD, getting a cheap body + good lens is worth it over getting a super expensive body + kit lens (no money left over for a good lens). The IQ benefits of the lens completely trump the small benefits you get from a better body.

Of course better body + better lens is better, but I'm assuming that he wants to keep to his budget
    Last edited by Shadowmage; 07-22-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmage View Post
    I think you guys are forgetting several things (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. This will be his first DSLR.
    2. He has a strict 800AUD budget for camera + accessories + lens.
    3. He just wants to go into DSLRs as a hobby (not pro).

You are recommending high end cameras such as the D80, which have nice features but aren't meant for the entry level hobbyist. I don't think that anyone can challenge the argument that at the strict budget of 800AUD, getting a cheap body + good lens is worth it over getting a super expensive body + kit lens (no money left over for a good lens). The IQ benefits of the lens completely trump the small benefits you get from a better body.

Of course better body + better lens is better, but I'm assuming that he wants to keep to his budget
    Thats why I pointed this out on my first post. People where recommending him the camera they own or the camera they wanna buy (D80/D300 etc), losing focus of his actual needs.

His jump from a S3 will be HUGE so why not get a cheaper cam for learning purposes and then when he fells he is really outgrowing the cam (that will be very hard to achieve if not professional) I would get a big bucks like D300/D3 Series.

A D60 with the 18-55VR lens costs about $620 with an extra $150 you can get the other cheap 55-200VR and voila you can take every pic you want with that lens combo without breaking your bank!

Also always recommend this book for dSLR beginners: http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-N...6737251&sr=1-1

I am Xtreme
    OK...

i understand what you fellaz are getting at.

I can get a d60 18-55vr,55-200vr kit new for around $900ish aud.

If i was too start with a body only ... the difference between the d60 body and d80 body is $200ish...

Knowing that what would be the best way to go???

I want the camera for atleast 2-3years before i would upgrade anyways and thats only if i really needed to...
    Last edited by disruptfam; 07-22-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    im looking @ the 18-55mm vr for starters.

I have the D40, 18-55, 55-200vr, 50mm f/1.8, and sb-600. The 18-55 is a crap lens. If I had to go back and do it over I would get the 18-70. Any of the lenses will work on any of the body's. The thing that separates them is if it is a AF lens or a AF-s lens. The AF lens will not auto focus on the D40, D40x, and I think the D60 is the same way.

His jump from a S3 will be HUGE so why not get a cheaper cam for learning purposes and then when he feels he is really outgrowing the cam (that will be very hard to achieve if not professional) I would get a big bucks like D300/D3 Series.

A D60 with the 18-55VR lens costs about $620 with an extra $150 you can get the other cheap 55-200VR and voila you can take every pic you want with that lens combo without breaking your bank!
    I got the D40 because it was cheaper at first. But as far as outgrowing the camera, that is very easy. I was considering upgrading to the D80 but then I said what the hell I'll just get the D200 when the time is right. The D40 doesn't have the focus motor which is a BIG MINUS as one of the best lenses nikkor makes is the 50mm 1.8, and it is a cheap lens to boot. The 50mm is an AF lens and will not auto focus on the D40.

The other thing is the 18-55 is based on an older film lens which was an AF lens. They kept the lens the same and added a motor to the existing AF in the lens.

The 55-200vr is not $150 it is $220. This is an alright lens. The VR makes up for it's cheap build quality. The 55-200 is built almost exactly like the 18-55.

I would say get the D40 for now as a temporary body and that way you can spend the extra on the 18-70. Then down the road you can upgrade the body to a D80, D90 if it is out by then, or the D200 which is a magnesium body.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    thanks for clearing that up mate!!

i was searching online and found some pretty good deals on a d80 and 18-70mm lens.Could i just start from there?

The last time I checked, the difference between D60 and D80 was only around $150...not sure about now, or in Aus. To me that is reason alone not to get the D60...not saying it isn't a good camera, it just wasn't priced far enough away from the better body.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Cruncher
    A d80 and a 18-70 would be a great combo.
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    thanks for all the help fellaz!!!!

I'm going with the d80 and 18-70mm lens combo!!!

also i see that there's two 18-70mm lens ed 1 and ed 2 whats the difference?

Xtreme Cruncher
    ED 1 means that there is 1 ED glass element
    ED 2 means there is 2 ED glass elements.
    2 would be better.
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] 2long4u View Post
    ED 1 means that there is 1 ED glass element
    ED 2 means there is 2 ED glass elements.
    2 would be better.
    cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123