Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally finished my first-ever build! What upgrades for $550?

Xtreme Member
    Going out to Tigerdirect to buy my stuff today.

Looks like I'll be building a cheapish C2D.

Any thoughts?
    Your local PC noob...
    ..but I'm learning, dammit.

Current Computer Piecemealings:
    Q6600@3.6 1.38V//Antec Three Hundred//Gigabyte X48T-DQ6//Thermaltake Big Typhoon//Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU//2GB Wintec DDR3 1333//2x WD Raptor 150GB//1x WD 200GB IDE HDD//Visiontek HD3870X2 OC//Sony DVD burner//

You should look into ways to drop ram usage if your running Vista and using 1gig of ram with your browser and media player up, you should be able to drop it to right around half that. I know of someone who posted a nice little thread on some tips on how to do so, but I am having trouble finding it atm. Some light searching should give you some good tips on how to do so. Oh and as you probably know, if you upgrade to 4GB's of ram and you're not running 64-bit Vista/64-bit Xp, it won't recognize the full 4 gigs.

Also, the rocketfish (a division of Lian Li if you didn't know) is a nice case but that ultra looks very clean.
    Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People
    Proc: Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.5ghz (2ghz fsb)
    Video: Nvidia Evga 8800GTS 640MB
    Mobo: Asus P5KC
    RAM: Mushkin 4GB DDR2 1066
    PSU: PC P&C 610W
    Case: Thermaltake Eureka Server Case
    Speakers: Onkyo S4100 5.1
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 226BW/Samsung 40" ToC 1080p TV
    Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Ergonomics 4000
    Mouse: Razer Copperhead
    Sound: Auzentech X-fi Prelude 7.1
    Cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockW View Post
    You should look into ways to drop ram usage if your running Vista and using 1gig of ram with your browser and media player up, you should be able to drop it to right around half that. I know of someone who posted a nice little thread on some tips on how to do so, but I am having trouble finding it atm. Some light searching should give you some good tips on how to do so. Oh and as you probably know, if you upgrade to 4GB's of ram and you're not running 64-bit Vista/64-bit Xp, it won't recognize the full 4 gigs.

Also, the rocketfish (a division of Lian Li if you didn't know) is a nice case but that ultra looks very clean.
    Yeah, I thought my RAM usage was ridiculously high, even for Vista.

If I end up upgrading instead of building a new system (which I might do) RAM would be the first order of business. However, I'm running 32-bit Vista.

BTW, the case is a frickin' fingerprint magnet.
    Your local PC noob...

Q6600@3.6 1.38V//Antec Three Hundred//Gigabyte X48T-DQ6//Thermaltake Big Typhoon//Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU//2GB Wintec DDR3 1333//2x WD Raptor 150GB//1x WD 200GB IDE HDD//Visiontek HD3870X2 OC//Sony DVD burner//

Yeah, i believe the rocketfish has more of a matte finish and would be less of a problem that way.

There's the thread i was looking for, that's just a few tips, msconfig is a good place to start, just make sure you know what you're doing b4 you change things.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=56728
    Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People
    Proc: Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.5ghz (2ghz fsb)
    Video: Nvidia Evga 8800GTS 640MB
    Mobo: Asus P5KC
    RAM: Mushkin 4GB DDR2 1066
    PSU: PC P&C 610W
    Case: Thermaltake Eureka Server Case
    Speakers: Onkyo S4100 5.1
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 226BW/Samsung 40" ToC 1080p TV
    Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Ergonomics 4000
    Mouse: Razer Copperhead
    Sound: Auzentech X-fi Prelude 7.1
    Cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockW View Post
    Yeah, i believe the rocketfish has more of a matte finish and would be less of a problem that way.

There's the thread i was looking for, that's just a few tips, msconfig is a good place to start, just make sure you know what you're doing b4 you change things.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=56728
    Excellent, thank you! That should help me a lot.

As far as the rocketfish goes, if I can talk him down to $100, I'll buy it.

Unfortunately, a financial misunderstanding prevents me from spending any more than $125.

I was thinking.... Antec Nine Hundred ($80 AR, free shipping) and 2GB more RAM?
    Your local PC noob...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12