Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel convert ET:QW to raytracing

Banned

Intel convert ET:QW to raytracing

Last edited by -Anti-; 06-12-2008 at 11:43 PM.

o withray acingu getthe sme pformance but u need a quad server board and 10 grand yay
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    guess what nvidia has in common with bender?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D8QYZ8ZmAVs

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    o withray acingu getthe sme pformance but u need a quad server board and 10 grand yay
    actually you get much worse performance.

though image quality is much higher.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Its actually wuite amazing on how and how fast they can change the games to raytracing.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Its actually wuite amazing on how and how fast they can change the games to raytracing.
    imagine crysis...

and then i heard, the voices of 10,000 CPUs screaming in unison.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And then they all went silent....because the game crashed
    Intel is like Egypt in Rome:total war

Xtreme Member
    Well I'm sceptical...
    First of all, look at FPS... 13-16 Oo
    2ns, look at noumber of details. World is completly flat, no grass, no anything and nothnig is mooving there.
    3rd. Quality of... textures(?) (no idea how to call that). All surfaces are completly flat. Anybody remembers bumpmapping or paralax mapping?
    4th. yeah I'm waiting for all these flying balls everywhere reflecting everything -.-

It reminds me Beyond3D article about raytracing and more I look at that, more I think they were right....

Xtreme Member
    Its a demo, not a final product. It still needs work and it was just showing that it can be done. Come on now.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    It could be done decades ago. Still real-time ray-tracing is far from being possible.

Xtreme Member
    Well for me it doeasn't look better than old raytraced Q3 and looks worse than, for example, Crysis.
    Only water and reflections are much better. But hey, how much of these we have in games?
    Too bad we can't see reflections of other balls in these balls. Bu I have strange feeling that we wouldnt see proper "reflection of reflection" if you know what I mean.
    So still, not impressed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlamite View Post
    Well I'm sceptical...
    First of all, look at FPS... 13-16 Oo
    2ns, look at noumber of details. World is completly flat, no grass, no anything and nothnig is mooving there.
    3rd. Quality of... textures(?) (no idea how to call that). All surfaces are completly flat. Anybody remembers bumpmapping or paralax mapping?
    4th. yeah I'm waiting for all these flying balls everywhere reflecting everything -.-

It reminds me Beyond3D article about raytracing and more I look at that, more I think they were right....
    you forgot one more thing, to do all this (and your right, quite frankly the texture res looks just horrible) it took 4 sockets and 16 cores......no thnx.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Decami View Post
    you forgot one more thing, to do all this (and your right, quite frankly the texture res looks just horrible) it took 4 sockets and 16 cores......no thnx.
    Which is monumentally less then it took in the past on older versions of raytraced Quake.

Its coming along Fast.

Also don't forget that this is running on the CPUs alone. Their aim is to make a graphics card that is like a mini x86 multi cored cpu that will be designed from the ground up to handle ray tracing.

Xtreme Addict
    Have a better chance of doing realtime ray-tracing if you got one of those couple hundred dollar ray-tracing cards.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    It could be done decades ago. Still real-time ray-tracing is far from being possible.
    Raytracing is indeed older than a lot of people here, me included. As for real-time, werent Silicon Graphics visualization servers used for that? :
    " Origin 3900 - up to 512 processors, 1 TB of memory, one to four tall racks"
    Sure sounds it mightve been capable of some stuff :p

Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar View Post
    Also don't forget that this is running on the CPUs alone. Their aim is to make a graphics card that is like a mini x86 multi cored cpu that will be designed from the ground up to handle ray tracing.
    What is designed from the ground up for raytracing? Larrabee? What I've read this far suggests the focus of larrabee is rasterization and not raytracing?

Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Daniel Pohl had the q4 raytracing demo ready 2 years ago, implementing the same engine in ET:QW surely wouldnt take too much time. Both used id Tech 4.

Those screenshots look awful to me, the only thing that isnt ruined by textures is the water, which looks way too perfect in every way imaginable.
    X3350 | DFI LP X38 T2R | d9gkx
    9800gtx | Raptor1500AHFD/5000AACS/WD3201ABYS
    Corsair 620HX | Coolermaster CM690

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuuubeh View Post
    Those screenshots look awful to me, the only thing that isnt ruined by textures is the water, which looks way too perfect in every way imaginable.
    QFT.

I have the original game, and I would prefer playing it as it is right now than with that ray-tracing (although the water is indeed marvelous)
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Member
    Water doesn't look amazing to me. What finally showed me what ray tracing is all about is the pic with a close-up on one of the balls and the reflection on it. Trully realistic!

Generalizations are, in general, wrong.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gallardo View Post
    Water doesn't look amazing to me. What finally showed me what ray tracing is all about is the pic with a close-up on one of the balls and the reflection on it. Trully realistic!
    depends on what you call realistic, personally I'd expect from a shiny ball sitting in a dusty and humid environment to be looking a bit more dirty than that :p. I've yet to see a proper reflective surface with dirt on it raytraced in realtime. And what hits performance in the ballz on current raytrace renderers is adding blurry effects :p. Gimme some of that

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ray traced quake 3 looked better imo... they aren't showing off as much in this one
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Member
    Sure looks pretty crap tbh. and 1fps per thread....

Xtreme Addict
    I think they had the rest of the details turned down. While the reflective surfaces looked better I think the texture detail looked worse then when I played that game last.

Then again Quake Wars graphics aren't the highest quality to maintain high FPS on lower systems even with very large draw ranges (lots of flight combat)

Your not supposed to judge Ray Tracing based on the graphical limitations of the game that have nothing to do with ray tracing, that's not the point of this demo.

Its to further show that it can be incorporated into newer games.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar View Post
    I think they had the rest of the details turned down. While the reflective surfaces looked better I think the texture detail looked worse then when I played that game last.

Then again Quake Wars graphics aren't the highest quality to maintain high FPS on lower systems even with very large draw ranges (lots of flight combat)

Your not supposed to judge Ray Tracing based on the graphical limitations of the game that have nothing to do with ray tracing, that's not the point of this demo.

Its to further show that it can be incorporated into newer games.
    Of course it can be implemented into newer games. We've all see older games pimped up a bit with better graphics. Intel couldve put in 2MP textures if they wanted to, however chose not to. Why? We all know id tech 4 supports textures which even without looking at technical data are of a higher resolution/quality.

My opinion is, the team behind this was chased by marketing with a stick, forcing them to show results faster and maybe take a bit of attention away from the new releases of ati and nvidia. I dont see another possible explanation myself

Xtreme Member
    Great res! but poor graphics

Xtreme Enthusiast
    as many have said, the water is really the only thing looking good in those screenshots, but can you think of anyone else with water that pretty?.....I can..... Crysis, and its done with shaders, so....horrible example.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Xtreme Recruit
    I think many of you are missing the point. Look at the floating metallic balls which are present in some of the screenshots. They are reflecting anything around them because of how ray-tracing and reflected light work. Absolutely amazing how far ray-tracing has come in 35 years. We'll soon be able to play ray-traced games on our computers at very good speeds.
    Phlash's Gaming Rig - 10348 3DMarks (3DMark06):
    Core2Duo E6750 :: 2gb Ballistix DDR2-6400 :: XFX 8800 GTX :: Corsair 620hx :: Abit IP-35 Pro :: 74gb Raptor :: Antec P900 Case

Phlash's Server:
    A64 X2 3600+ :: 2gb Ballistix DDR2-6400 :: Integrated GFX :: Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2

Phlash's Laptop:
    Core2Duo T5420 :: 2gb DDR2 :: Geforce 8400 GS :: 160GB HD

Xtreme Member
    Well, how many of these metallic floating balls you have in games?
    Let me think.. (calculates) 0?
    And to be honest such balls were presenting ray-tracing for past few years.
    So we know for quite a long time, that raytracing can make superb reflections and we still can see that here.
    New thing here is, that these balls are rendered in real-time. That's something new.
    Something less new is that these balls reflect static environment....
    But we still can't see raytraced dynamic environment (Far Cry 2 savanna?) and something else than textures and surfaces from quake 3.
    I also really would like to see if these balls can reflect each other. That would be really something new.

I really want to see what will Larabee bring here in terms of raytracing performance.
    But such slides, showing that they can't pass old raytracing problems, don't make me optimistic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast