Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858 ... LastLast

Thread: Nehalem-EP......BLOOMFIELD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    Excellent! I thoguht it was only the 3.2 bloomfields that would be avail q4
    Seems the FUD did its job.. FudZilla and other sites have been reporting this 'only extreme edition this year' and 'LGA 1366 will only be extreme edition, and only LGA 1366 will overclock' so many times now that I guess people are starting to believe it. Maybe LGA1160 won't overclock, but LGA1366 will definitely be affordable by any enthusiast in 2009, if not already this year.

Let's say it again, the roadmaps have been clear as crystal since April and confirmed several times recently. Three price brackets, the ones that Q9450, Q9550 and some QX processor are currently filling, will launch this year. It's also been said by some site (TweakTown I think it was, and yeah, I know.. TT..) that it might come 'earlier' than we expect in Q4 as opposed to December 31.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Seems the FUD did its job.. FudZilla and other sites have been reporting this 'only extreme edition this year' and 'LGA 1366 will only be extreme edition, and only LGA 1366 will overclock' so many times now that I guess people are starting to believe it. Maybe LGA1160 won't overclock, but LGA1366 will definitely be affordable by any enthusiast in 2009, if not already this year.

Let's say it again, the roadmaps have been clear as crystal since April and confirmed several times recently. Three price brackets, the ones that Q9450, Q9550 and some QX processor are currently filling, will launch this year. It's also been said by some site (TweakTown I think it was, and yeah, I know.. TT..) that it might come 'earlier' than we expect in Q4 as opposed to December 31.
    Black Friday

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoulz View Post

I'm not quite grasping your point... are you trying to say that while we currently don't know what the max Ghz Intel will release the new Nehalem @, it probably can't be faster than the current 3.2Ghz already known?

Knowing Intel always takes a conservative stance, which coincidentally has been proven by the EXTREMELY ingenious people here and elsewhere by overclocking them. Somehow, since nobody has officially posted Ghz in excess of 3.2gig, it somehow impossible or wrong to discuss them?

-Xoulz
    You are responding to a guy who has been banned
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphiel View Post
    From another thread I am wondering: Is it confirmed that there will be <600$ Nehalems in Q4 2008?
    This is what we know about this year's Nehalem's products...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    This is what we know about this year's Nehalem's products...

p1 needs to come down to 499 ^^ But i m losing hope that deneb, or any of the 45nm k10 iterations will provide any market pressure on intel to lower prices in the next 6-8 months

thanks for clarifying though, i ve read so much stuff back and forth, good to have something solid. Time to plan out the next machine
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    p1 needs to come down to 499 ^^ But i m losing hope that deneb, or any of the 45nm k10 iterations will provide any market pressure on intel to lower prices in the next 6-8 months

thanks for clarifying though, i ve read so much stuff back and forth, good to have something solid. Time to plan out the next machine
    Why bother, the only difference is the multiplier..

I have a feeling the lowest priced one will have enough headroom as it is, a sky-high multiplier and a low reference clock should give us lots of room to expand.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Why bother, the only difference is the multiplier..

I have a feeling the lowest priced one will have enough headroom as it is, a sky-high multiplier and a low reference clock should give us lots of room to expand.
    well and binning but it remains to be seen how far past stock we can push these guys yet :P I m sure your right though.
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Cruncher
    Performance should be either lower or higher. 850 or 540$.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Banned
    rofl L3 is slowish

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Horus&#180; View Post
    I love your useful and enlightening posts.

JCornell thanks for testing. Could you give us a preview of its single core performance, maybe start your own thread in the news/intel section?
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    the idiots out number us 10,000:1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    I love your useful and enlightening posts.
    Thx for letting me know this usefull and enlightening opinion of yours

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Performance should be either lower or higher. 850 or 540$.
    So does the L3 run at the same speed as the cores?

Pricing seems to be better than i expected. Benches so far havebeen quite promising, but we haven't seen any meaningful workloads tested yet.
    Last edited by BrowncoatGR; 06-21-2008 at 06:36 AM.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowncoatGR View Post
    So does the L3 run at the same speed as the cores?

Pricing seems to be better than i expected. Benches so far havebeen quite promising, but we haven't seen any meaningful workloads tested yet.
    Yes

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauhung
    It's on a separate clock and power domain. so, it will have to be based off the main reference clock just like the CPU, but both will have their own independent ratios.

How bout now?
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24

Xtreme Cruncher
    How bout now?
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3326&p=5

The L3 cache is quite possibly the most impressive, requiring only 39 cycles to access at 2.66GHz. The L3 cache is a very large 8MB cache, 4x the size of Phenom's L3, yet it can be accessed much faster. In our testing we found that Phenom's L3 cache takes a similar 43 cycles to access but at much lower clock speeds (2.0GHz). If we put these numbers into relative terms it takes 21.5 ns to get a request back from Phenom's L3 vs. 14.6 ns with Nehalem's - that's nearly 50% longer in Phenom.
    And thats for a 2.66Ghz CPU ofcourse.

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3326&p=5

And thats for a 2.66Ghz CPU ofcourse.
    Hmm looks like i might be wrong if Anand actually tested it or had reliable info on it , but seems to me Anand has a mistake there. Isn't cache latency always measured in relation to core frequency(even when it's async that should be 43 core cycles and not 43 NB/cache cycles)?
    Last edited by BrowncoatGR; 06-21-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmm looks like i might be wrong if Anand actually tested it or had reliable info on it , but seems to me Anand has a mistake there. Isn't cache latency always measured in relation to core frequency(even when it's async that should be 43 core cycles and not 43 NB/cache cycles)?
    Hmm? Its for the cache to react and fetch data and send it back.

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm? Its for the cache to react and fetch data and send it back.
    How would you measure that directly at the L3? You would have to measure how long it takes for the core to fetch the data.

Xtreme Cruncher
    How would you measure that directly at the L3? You would have to measure how long it takes for the core to fetch the data.
    Ofcourse, but its the cache that does the wast majority of the work and you can calculate the cycles used there when you know its speed. Same way we do with main memory. On a 2.5Ghz Phenom it might actually have used 53-54 CPU cycles.

If you compare CPU-Z cycle measurement they varies with others. Sciencemark would say 12 or 13 cycles depending on stride size for a yorkfield.

Xtreme Member
    Looks like my next purchase will be an Intel cpu
    When is the cpus meant to be hitting the market? November/december time?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by azza21 View Post
    Looks like my next purchase will be an Intel cpu
    When is the cpus meant to be hitting the market? November/december time?
    'Q4', TweakTown said to expect it 'sooner than expected' whatever that means..

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9583/i...pei/index.html

While Intel did not mention anything about clock speeds to us at all, word from other press around Computex is that it could be running at 3.2GHz and it could be ready to rock and roll sooner than expected but you didn’t read that here.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can confirm the CPUs are effectively done. They could be rolled out in under 1 month if Intel wanted to.

The X58 chipset and getting mobos for them are the biggest issue.
    Last edited by mstp2009; 06-21-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mstp2009 View Post
    I can confirm the CPUs are effectively done. They could be rolled out in under 1 month if Intel wanted to.

That's great to hear.

We've only heard about Bloomfield desktop chips so far - will there be UP and DP Xeons around too this year?

Xtreme Addict
    Yes
    Are you suggesting that the L3 will run at core speed?

According to Kanter (RWT), the L3 would most likely run on it's own clock/power domain... and if the Phenom is any indication, it's clock/power might be tied to the IMC clock/power domain.

Although Intel has not discussed the physical design of Nehalem at all, it appears that the L3 cache sits on a separate power plane than the cores and operates at an independent frequency. This makes sense from both a power saving and a reliability perspective, since large caches are more susceptible to soft errors at low voltage. As a result, the load to use latency for Nehalem varies depending on the relative frequency and phase alignment of the cores and the L3 itself and the latency of arbitration for access to the L3. In the best case, i.e. phase aligned operation and frequencies that differ by an integer multiple, Nehalem’s L3 load to use latency is somewhere in the range of 30-40 cycles according to Intel architects.
    http://www.nehalemnews.com/2008/04/w...e-nehalem.html

Cheers,
    -Chris.
    Last edited by virtualrain; 06-21-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mstp2009 View Post

This was my impression following Computex... it was the motherboards that were holding things up.

Any indications on branding for Nehalem?

Cheers,
    -Chris.

Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858 ... LastLast