Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1572

Thread: Nehalem-EP......BLOOMFIELD

I am Xtreme
    im still waiting for benches from a not beta platform.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    im still waiting for benches from a not beta platform.
    Almost become Alpha platform
    Nehalem chips already released ES Rev. C0 & C1
    ===N/A===

Banned
    Yeah, my CPU has retail revision ... and mobo is last Rev. before Retail ... my platform become almost Retail ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post
    Yeah, my CPU has retail revision ... and mobo is last Rev. before Retail ... my platform become almost Retail ...

Well that took away a fair bit of my enthusiasm for Nehalem, thanks for the info

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    I don't think Nehalem will be another Prescott. But it seems strange to have crippled the L2 by such a large amount. L3 shared on all 4 cores is good, but certainly the value the L2 was playing was known. It's going to certainly be interesting to see where the i7 does well and where it does not before pushing the "buy" button...
    Here is an interresting topic ...

Ronak and I argued for 4 years on this topics, we did extensive study on this, Ronak architect team vs the Performance team. I was very afraid that it will cause too much latency increase. After 2 years of arguying, I was forced to admit that I was wrong, and Ronak was right. The increase of latency in smaller than anything you can measure on real application. The multi-layer prefetcher does its job, as it did on Core 2 via the FSB.

The explanation is so simple that it is scary ... The memory prefetcher from L2 to L3 is working almost 100% because the pattern from L2 to L3 is filtered by the L2, I mean, the L2 remove most of the unpredictable pattern.

Ronak was and is right, the L2 cache of Nehalem does not cause any issue.

I actually like when the architects are right, and I am wrong, it mean that we will have a kick a// product.
    And remember Andy's moto: "Only paranoid survive", it is my job to apply this to Intel's product

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post

Ronak and I argued for 4 years on this topics, we did extensive study on this, Ronak architect team vs the Performance team. I was very afraid that it will cause too much latency increase. After 2 years of arguying, I was forced to admit that I was wrong, and Ronak was right. The increase of latency in smaller than anything you can measure on real application. The multi-layer prefetcher does its job, as it did on Core 2 via the FSB.

The explanation is so simple that it is scary ... The memory prefetcher from L2 to L3 is working almost 100% because the pattern from L2 to L3 is filtered by the L2, I mean, the L2 remove most of the unpredictable pattern.

I actually like when the architects are right, and I am wrong, it mean that we will have a kick a// product.
    And remember Andy's moto: "Only paranoid survive", it is my job to apply this to Intel's product
    Interesting post ,thanks.

Do you have any comments on OBR's post here,especially on power consumption in full load(supposedly a lot higher than on 45nm C2Q):
    Quote Originally Posted by OBR
    My first impressions with own Nehalem ...

1. BIOSes and whole platform is still very immature ...
    2. Only little raised reference clock causes massive unstability ...
    3. Ocing of locked-multi Nehalems will be a problem ... Reference clock of Bus is not like a FSB - my max stable clock is 140MHz from 133MHz
    4. If you want great clocking, you need a Extreme chip with unlocked multi
    5. With these early BIOSes is Memory performance poor (or Everest dont know how to measure it?)
    6. Power consuption is in idle with all power savings great, but in fully load is far away from 45nm Quads ...
    7. Max stable ocing was on my chip about 3500MHz ...
    8. Performance is various, read my previous posts in this thread ...
    9. We have two months to launch, and i believe Intel will do many improvements to that date. Will see next month, with new BIOSes and maybe different mobo ...

Xtreme Enthusiast

Now that is interesting. I wonder what you said about static CMOS..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Interesting post ,thanks.

Do you have any comments on OBR's post here,especially on power consumption in full load(supposedly a lot higher than on 45nm C2Q):
    I will let the journalists make the demos at launch time ...
    I believe OBR has a very early sample.

Xtreme Member
    I will let the journalists make the demos at launch time ...
    I believe OBR has a very early sample.
    and that would be.....?

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not saying the L3 central isn't worthwhile and certainly to have a central pool and still have the individual cores fed properly you had to replicate to the L2. But seems to me there is no room left in the L2 to conduct a single core's chores (to keep the example simplified). You could have doubled or quadrupled the L2 with not a large hit on cost or really complexity since you've already designed the basic working format. Even then you'd still have room leftover in the L3 pool and each core would work faster, utilizing L2, and still have an excess of L3 to tap for the next tasks to assign to a core.

How I would have envisioned the layout:
    1mb L2/Core
    8mb of L3 shared

The cost reduction of the smaller L2 than in prior series would have covered the addition of the L3 and probably a mem controller of significant capability in the bargain.

Now I say this and I have to believe you gave this a shot. I honestly think you didn't draw up the current ratios without experimenting. So yes I'll wait for the tests, but it "feels" to me like Intel took the L2 down more for cost to benefit ratio than anything purely performance oriented. Meaning there was an advantage to the additional L2 (as surely there would be) but it was judged that the additional benefit didn't warrant the cost involved. I'm not baiting you to argue this, just explaing a "feeling" on this topic and any commentary you may feel is worthy is fine or none is fine too.

Given where the 9770 landed in cost, perhaps bringing things under control wasn't all bad. And perhaps what was sacrificed won't be all that noticeable. So I'll wait and see. But I do feel "some" additional L2 would have yielded a slightly better chip.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Dr.Who?:
    What would be your guess as to the difference in performance of a 8 core Harpertown machine at 3200 and a 8 core gainstown at 3200 doing work that can take advantage of the HP in the new Nehalem based systems?
    I'm talking about Distributed Computing work as we do for WCG where each core is assigned a work unit.
    That's really what this comes down to me, how much more work can be done in the same timeframe..
    Thank you.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    You could have doubled or quadrupled the L2 with not a large hit on cost or really complexity since you've already designed the basic working format.
    i DOUBT that because the transistor count on the die would probably quadruple just on doubling the size of L2.
    BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 UNOFFICIAL THREAD

BIOSTAR TPOWER BOLT MOD FOR HEATPIPE AND HEATSINK

BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

ABIT IP35 PRO HEATPIPE MOD

ABIT IP35 PRO BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-a-Rue View Post
    i DOUBT that because the transistor count on the die would probably quadruple just on doubling the size of L2.
    you will see very little gain from increasing the size of the L2, its very short latency is a plus that you do not want lose.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Dr.Who?:
    What would be your guess as to the difference in performance of a 8 core Harpertown machine at 3200 and a 8 core gainstown at 3200 doing work that can take advantage of the HP in the new Nehalem based systems?
    I'm talking about Distributed Computing work as we do for WCG where each core is assigned a work unit.
    That's really what this comes down to me, how much more work can be done in the same timeframe..
    Thank you.
    hehehe, I just can't answer this, I hope you understand ...

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    hehehe, I just can't answer this, I hope you understand ...
    That's honest and yes, I do understand..
    My guess is a 30% increase based on what I've seen and thats enough to push me to do one and if they will do 4000 like these Harpertowns then they will be winners.
    My other concern is heat.
    As to whether with the onchip IMC they will produce a higher heat dump than the harpertowns.
    Currently I am able to run a pair of harpertowns at 100% load at 3758 on air at 47C in a 72F room..
    Can you comment on the heat factor or is that still under NDA also?
    Thank you..

Looks around, sees Dr.Who? is gone......
    Damn, ran the poor guy right off the forum again!
    Last edited by Movieman; 09-02-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    [QUOTE=OBR;3264423]Yeah, my CPU has retail revision ... and mobo is last Rev. before Retail ... my platform become almost Retail ...[/QUOT

You might have an earlier rev. The process (45nm HK) has already matured on penryn and now is ready for nehalem (BTW that is the beauty of tic toc). The chip that you have may still have some bugs in the arch design level for power mgmt that still hadn't been worked out yet. As long as the problem exist in the design level and not the process level then a single stepping can fix the issue.

BTW, I can tell you that it's fixed, but I can't provide sources.
    Last edited by qurious63ss; 09-02-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=qurious63ss;3266266]
    Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post
    Yeah, my CPU has retail revision ... and mobo is last Rev. before Retail ... my platform become almost Retail ...[/QUOT

You might have an earlier rev. The process (45nm HK) has already matured on penryn and now is ready for nehalem (BTW that is the beauty of tic toc). The chip that you have may still have some bugs in the arch design level for power mgmt that still hadn't been worked out yet. As long as the problem exist in the design level and not the process level then a single stepping can fix the issue.

BTW, I can tell you that it's fixed, but I can't provide sources.
    yes it is possible, that was my EARLY suggestions of Nehalem ... we have to wait for retail mobos and CPU and will see ...

I am Xtreme
    [QUOTE=OBR;3266453]
    Quote Originally Posted by qurious63ss View Post

yes it is possible, that was my EARLY suggestions of Nehalem ... we have to wait for retail mobos and CPU and will see ...
    Sure but you know some folks will jump on that and go negative for the sake of FUD to boost the other company's outlook. Kind of lame that they think this works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    guys are we even gonna see Core i7 in September?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Ron7aldo View Post
    guys are we even gonna see Core i7 in September?
    Should see an announcement and maybe NDA's are lifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    So what's the latest on when we can buy Core i7 CPU's (say the $300ish model)? I've been looking around but most of the news I'm finding is older. Is it possible we'd see it in Oct/Nov. for purchase?

Xtreme Member
    so if ES Rev. is already at C0 & C1

what would be the revision of the retail products?
    In progress......

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    So what's the latest on when we can buy Core i7 CPU's (say the $300ish model)? I've been looking around but most of the news I'm finding is older. Is it possible we'd see it in Oct/Nov. for purchase?
    I wouldn't expect anything earlier than November at this point.

Xtreme Addict
    you will see very little gain from increasing the size of the L2, its very short latency is a plus that you do not want lose.
    Fair enough - and I'm sure an honest answer. You've said several times in several ways that much of any slowness of comparing Yorktown to Nehalem and finding Nehalem slower is more due to early silicon/boards vs L2 issues. So I'll take that at face value.

Painful to realize that we've still got a couple more months till this chip is out But that is the zen of XS I think

Xtreme Enthusiast
    More benchies here

VENOM: DFI LP LT X38-T2R ~ Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 4.00GHz ~ 4GB OCZ Blade LV DDR2-1150 ~ Radeon R9 380 4GB ~ Crucial C300 64GB ~ Seasonic X-750 ~ Dell U2913WM 29" ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64
    LAIKA: Alienware Alpha R2 ~ Core i5-6400T @ 2.20GHz / 2.80GHz ~ 16GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2133 ~ GeForce GTX 960 4GB ~ Crucial MX300 275GB ~ LG OLED55B7A 55" TV ~ Win 10 Home x64
    BLADE: Razer Blade 14" (2013) ~ Core i7-4702HQ @ 2.20GHz / 3.20GHz ~ 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ GeForce GTX 765M 2GB ~ Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 500GB ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64

Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast