Page 1 of 46 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Nehalem-EP......BLOOMFIELD

Hybrid View

Xtreme Legend

Banned
    how fast is a 2.4 Ghz wolfie?

Aussie God
    Seems wrong...
    The time is alot different from what I've heard, further, that clockspeed isnt real..? The models in 2008 wont be at that frequency... Bizar
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Member
    i sooooo hope 45nm wolf is just as fast in single threaded application...

please god please.
    PC-A04 | Z68MA-ED55 | 2500k | 2200+ XPG | 7970 | 180g 520 | 2x1t Black | X3 1000w

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Seems wrong...
    The time is alot different from what I've heard, further, that clockspeed isnt real..? The models in 2008 wont be at that frequency... Bizar
    It`s probably an early batch, but it`s real.

Knowing AndreYang, he`s prolly had it for a little while now

Perkam

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    It`s probably an early batch, but it`s real.

Knowing AndreYang, he`s prolly had it for a little while now

Perkam

you just need to look at his new avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Seems wrong...
    from what i read somewhere, intel has locked all their nehalem cpus that they send out @ 2.4 gigs?? someone correct me if im wrong??

Xtreme Mentor
    So what's the time of a 2,4GHz Wolfdale or Yorkfield? I don't want to underclock my system to test it
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    So what's the time of a 2,4GHz Wolfdale or Yorkfield? I don't want to underclock my system to test it
    I don't have a 2.4 Ghz clock, but at 2.5 Ghz a Yorkie gets 19.03 seconds, so at 2.4 GHz I am guessing 20-21 second range.

EDIT. Yorkie at 2.4 Ghz... added, 19.984 seconds SP1M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intel_X38_QX9650_2500_7.5x333_800_5_SP1M_R1.JPG 
Views:	12161 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	80167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QX9650@2.4G_SP1M.JPG 
Views:	12085 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	80171  
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 06-10-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    I don't have a 2.4 Ghz clock, but at 2.5 Ghz a Yorkie gets 19.03 seconds, so at 2.4 GHz I am guessing 20-21 second range:
    wow. This seems to be contrary to what the Anand Results seemed to point towards in singlethreaded performance... any speculation as to the disparity?
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    wow. This seems to be contrary to what the Anand Results seemed to point towards in singlethreaded performance... any speculation as to the disparity?
    I think what you will find is different apps seeing some healthy gains, others seeing none or little to nothing. On the whole I suspect healthy overall but not overwhelming single threaded jumps in performance (similar to K8 to Phenom). There are examples where, clock for clock (IPC), Phenom showed moderate to very slight gains, and in other apps nice 15-20% improvements.

In this case, SP1M -- there is info on the web that Intel buffed up loop prediction, as SP1M is inherently recursive I would postulate that the benefit we see here is coming some from that architectural improvement. Speculation on my part though....

Just looking at the SP1M, roughly 13% gain clock for clock -- which is healthy for single threaded performance ... not quite a jaw dropping as the Conroe leap over Netburst, but still healthy.

Jack
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 06-10-2008 at 09:56 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    I think what you will find is different apps seeing some healthy gains, others seeing none or little to nothing. On the whole I suspect healthy overall but not overwhelming single threaded jumps in performance (similar to K8 to Phenom). There are examples where, clock for clock (IPC), Phenom showed moderate to very slight gains, and in other apps nice 15-20% improvements.

In this case, SP1M -- there is info on the web that Intel buffed up loop prediction, as SP1M is inherently recursive I would postulate that the benefit we see here is coming some from that architectural improvement. Speculation on my part though....

Just looking at the SP1M, roughly 13% gain clock for clock -- which is healthy for single threaded performance ... not quite a jaw dropping as the Conroe leap over Netburst, but still healthy.

Jack
    Speculation of course, but seems fairly grounded
    Makes sense, hehe, but 13% on something already impressive is no small feat either. I was worried that these would only have 1-3% improvements on singlethreaded, and shine in the multithreading scenario, but seeing this, is well, very promising indeed

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

I am Xtreme

Jack

waits for amd fainboys to pick this up and say nehalem is only optimized for benchmarks (just like core2)

Xtreme Addict

Jack
    You know very well that Core and especially Penryn ( with its improved latencies for some instructions ) are the pinnacle of single thread performance.
    With the advanced prefetchers , very large and extremly low latency L2 they keep the large number of execution units busy and offer superb single thread performance.To improve on that with a completely different cache structure ( inferior IMO for single threaded apps ) and a CPU designed for scalability and multithreading is nothing short of astounding.

People expect Nehalem to improve dramatically over Penryn , but they fail to realize how hard that is as the Core/Penryn uarch simply loves single threaded apps.

AMD K10 has a full 3 pages of improvements over K8 and can't touch Core even with a 10 foot pole in single threaded apps.Imagine what work went into Nehalem to offer even that measly 2% in Cinebench.
    Last edited by savantu; 06-10-2008 at 11:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    No offense , but that's dumb.Based on a single test which doesn't touch the improvements of Nehalem , you extrapolated to a 2% gain across all apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Xtreme Addict

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    No offense , but that's dumb.Based on a single test which doesn't touch the improvements of Nehalem , you extrapolated to a 2% gain across all apps?
    no offense but you didnt read my response to jacks answer.

I was stating what was written, and cinebench seems like a fairly good indicator of cpu performance. I was also factoring in in singlethreaded apps, the yorkfield seemed to keep pretty close to nehalem in performance, so seeing a 13% improvement on an architecture, that was designed to be fast in single threaded environments, is quite impressive, especially since it is even more apt in multithreaded environments.

Rig 2

Xtreme Member
    18,7sec on E8400 at 333x7,5 in vista with alot of crap running.

Xtreme Monster
    E6600 2.4Ghz.

Source

Metroid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g.JPG 
Views:	12501 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	80142  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did anyone else notice the below 1 volt?
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 | 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 | MSI nVIDIA GeForce 7300LE

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by tylerw13
    from what i read somewhere, intel has locked all their nehalem cpus that they send out @ 2.4 gigs?? someone correct me if im wrong??
    Yes! It's in another thread here.

My E6600 got 21secs as well, I have not ran it on my Wolfdale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
    Yes. I don't understand how that works

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] NetburstXE View Post
    Yes. I don't understand how that works
    Why this matter ? that's just false volt detect ...
    How to judge with software that doesn't fully support(calibrate) for latest(final) hardware ?

Actually vcore for 45nm CPUs is approx nominal 1.1v ... (of course this is for default speed)
    Last edited by JCornell; 06-29-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    ===N/A===

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCornell View Post
    How to judge with software that doesn't fully support(calibrate) for latest(final) hardware ?

Actually vcore for 45nm CPUs is approx nominal 1.1v ... (of course this is for default speed)
    I don't think that this is accurate.
    The field Core Temp assumes for VID is actually used as FID (multiplier). So don't trust the early VID readings.
    Member of Overclockers.com Folding @ Home team
    "<The_Coolest> you can't unwaste wasted CPU cycles" - Start FOLDing now!
    Main rig:
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
    Secondary rigs:
    Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB / GPU: HD5450 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
    Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCornell View Post

Hello JC,

Do you know which will be the last stepping? from what i see the actual mem controller is not fully working (i'm right? or is a mobo issue?).

I cant wait to see a fully working nehalem and see its overclock, also some real world gaming would be nice or some HD decoding/encoding.

Xtreme Addict
    Damn....

Must... resist....

Too late.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Page 1 of 46 123411 ... LastLast