Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 to boost SSDs

Xtreme Enthusiast

Windows 7 to boost SSDs

Quote Originally Posted by cnet
    "Windows7 will be able to identify a SSD uniquely," according to Gregory Wong of Forward Insights. Certain ATA commands will improve the speed that solid state drives write to disk, Wong said

More here

*posted earlier @ vr-zone*
    | Intel Core i5 2500K | Asrock P67 Extreme 6 | Gskill Ripjaws 8GB CL7 |

| Sapphire HD6970 | Creative X-Fi modded | Corsair HX850 | Corsair H60 |

Xtreme Addict
    So i'm gonna migrate to w7

SB Rig:
    | CPU: 2600K (L040B313T) | Cooling: H100 with 2x AP29 | Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | Video: MSI gtx570 TF III
    | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB fw009 | HDDs: 2x GP 2TB, 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    | Audio: Cantatis Overture & Denon D7000 headphones | Case: Lian-Li T60 bench table
    | PSU: Seasonic X650 | Display: Samsung 2693HM 25,5"
    | OS: Windows7 Ultimate x64 SP1

+Fanless Music Rig: | E5200 @0.9V

+General surfing PC on sale | E8400 @4Ghz

Xtreme Mentor
    It would be sad if it didn't.

I must say I am satisfied at how MS is handling its new Win development. They are doing it pretty publicly... so people are familiar with it. Good call!
    Sort of like Intel did It looks like MS is becoming more customer friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    It would be sad if it didn't.

I must say I am satisfied at how MS is handling its new Win development. They are doing it pretty publicly... so people are familiar with it. Good call!
    Sort of like Intel did It looks like MS is becoming more customer friendly.

I agree. Much better then keeping it under a veil and then when it comes out people are like WTF is this

Intel Core i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB DDR3-1600 | Asus GTX 670 directCU TOP | Intel 320 120GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Enermax Revolution 1050W | Silverstone TJ08-E | Dell UltraSharp U2711

Xtreme Addict
    Damn, i love my Vista but i'm also looking forward to Windows 7. It really looks promising.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    Wouldnt optimizing the file system code to work well with SSDs mean they are changing the NTFS file system?
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    As far as I know, not really. They will mainly be optimizing the OS in such a way that it will handle random writes and stuff like that a little different. The filesystem is mainly about how the data is organized and called upon on the disk, not what the OS' read and write behavior is like. Current OSs would optimize for sequential reads and writes, but for an SSD it could be done a little different to more efficiently utilize its performance characteristics. One of the other goals for Windows 7 is also to minimize disk access or, as some would sometimes call it, disk trashing, which will also be nice for an SSD's endurance/longevity/lifespan (and speed up Windows 7 in general).
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    Damn, i love my Vista but i'm also looking forward to Windows 7. It really looks promising.
    Totally agree with you, but that taskbar is SO putting me off
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    yes because you should always choose a operating system based on the looks of the taskbar ... *face palm*

because you cant change it in like 30 seconds can you.... *face palm*

Gaming Rig
    Intel E6300
    Intel Mobo
    2 Gig OCZ 800 (800 5,5,5,15)
    Saphire Ati 4870
    22inch LG Flatron W2230S

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    It's putting me on though, what part of it don't you like?

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    i'm fairly sure you can change it back to windows 95 style taskbar.

that's how we roll.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    It's putting me on though, what part of it don't you like?
    I just don't like having my entire desktop covered in glass. As long as I can pick the Vista taskbar, I'm happy.

Xtreme Member
    This is just the pre-beta. They will definitely change the look of the OS, just like they did with Vista, Longhorn.

BTW, look at the file history for Windows 7's desktop @ WikiPedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Windows7Desktop.png

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    I just don't like having my entire desktop covered in glass. As long as I can pick the Vista taskbar, I'm happy.
    You can use small icons, which will basically turn the taskbar back to the width of the Vista taskbar and you can enable a tittle in the taskbar (only for active windows).

Quote Originally Posted by AnXioZ View Post
    This is just the pre-beta. They will definitely change the look of the OS, just like they did with Vista, Longhorn.

BTW, look at the file history for Windows 7's desktop @ WikiPedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Windows7Desktop.png
    No they will not change the look of the OS, only some slight refinements.
    The reason why their Longhorn OS looks so different from Vista is because they restarted back from scratch with Vista. They made some promises about what Longhorn was supposed to be in 2003, but in the meantime they threw a lot of that in the garbage can and started over again for Vista and that's also why Vista was such a let-down after all their promises for Longhorn.
    BTW, the reason for the restart had to so with XP SP2, which they suddenly had to work on (for security reasons in XP) at full force and everyone working on Longhorn was made to work on SP2. After SP2 they started to work on Vista, but they for some reason (probably some things they learned during the SP2 development) deviated quite a bit from their Longhorn promise.

On my post #7, I'm apparently quite wrong with my assumption that the filesystem won't really matter that much. They can ofcourse optimize in other areas than the filesystem, but according to SanDisk as new filesystem for SSDs will get you some major advantages. Just check this:
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15843
    It's about their new filesystem for SSDs called ExtremeFFS and it can be used in both Vista as well as Windows 7, not sure if it will be integrated by default in Windows 7.

Xtreme Addict
    Given the rapidly expanding presence of SSD's I don't know why they are waiting to Win 7 to put this in place. XP or Vista, either one, should detect if a SSD is in place and adjust all settings to preserve and work best with the device automatically.

Oh, but then there wouldn't be anything new for Win 7? /sigh

Xtreme Member
    so when does window 7 come out??
    Q6600
    Powercolor Ax6870 1GB
    Corsair HX620
    WD3200AAKS
    MSI p43 neo3
    patriot 2gb 800MHz

Xtreme Mentor
    Hurray for XP -> Win7 users!

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

I am Xtreme
    I wonder if windows 7 can boot off GPT partitions yet? vista can not.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    that's how we roll.
    +1

I wonder if we can finally get away from BIOS and go to EFi... more push of this from MS would be nice.
    I mean it IS the 21st century after all and I had a BIOS on my XT back in 1987

I for one don't want my tombstone to spell: "used BIOS his entire life"
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sweeet.

XP -> W7

I'm hoping it'll be a huge jump. I've been waiting for things to speed up

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    I wonder if windows 7 can boot off GPT partitions yet? vista can not.
    Isn't GPT only useful for arrays larger than 2TB? Looking at your sig, though, you'd fall under that category.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    Given the rapidly expanding presence of SSD's I don't know why they are waiting to Win 7 to put this in place. XP or Vista, either one, should detect if a SSD is in place and adjust all settings to preserve and work best with the device automatically.

Oh, but then there wouldn't be anything new for Win 7? /sigh
    Yeah, because redesigning the disk handling subsystem is just a 2mb hotfix update for XP/Vista.

I'm sorry, but it seems that anytime Microsoft announces a new feature for a new OS people just start complaining that they aren't hotpatching an old one, no matter the fact that it could be a ridiculous upgrade.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Yeah, because redesigning the disk handling subsystem is just a 2mb hotfix update for XP/Vista.

I'm sorry, but it seems that anytime Microsoft announces a new feature for a new OS people just start complaining that they aren't hotpatching an old one, no matter the fact that it could be a ridiculous upgrade.
    They apparently don't know how Apple handles these kinds of things....

BTW, SanDisk's new filesystem will also be made available for Vista so no worries.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Omastar View Post
    Isn't GPT only useful for arrays larger than 2TB? Looking at your sig, though, you'd fall under that category.
    2008 can. So Vista could actually. However it might be artificially limited.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

I am Xtreme
    if you havent played with it its vista, and a harder vista to work with, they burried crap even deeper now and i cant stand the damn fact that i have to do so many F'ing steps to find out what my dam IP is compared to XP.

i would say it's probably a little faster than vista but its vista,, there is NO doubt about it,, 100%, with some improvements but overall they are going deeper and deeper into the more complex overly hard OS, instead of going back to the basics.

its an OS, not a machine that is going to perform brain surgery

they also have whats called your 'home network' (if i remember the name correctly) in regards to sharing files. its annoying as hell but doesnt necessarily need to be used. you can still use standard sharing.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast