Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anandtech benches Nehalem

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post

Man are you for real. Did Intel not use an imc first anyway.

Looks like there is going to be a lot of sore fanboys about here before the nehalem dust settles .
    Yea, so you are saying that Nehalem isnt following in the same footsteps that AMD started with K8?

Please for future references i am not a fanboy and as such dont feel bad about anything. It actually made me quite happy to see Intel bring out another great performing architecture. I just thought i might bring in a bit more constructive post to this thread then another "ROFL!!! GO Intel!!! AMD SUXS ASS!!!".

Here are some quote's from the article that i think you might find interesting after finding my post so funny.

Nehalem implements a very Phenom-like memory hierarchy
    While Intel did a lot of tinkering with Nehalem's caches, the inclusion of a multi-channel on-die DDR3 memory controller was the most apparent change. AMD has been using an integrated memory controller (IMC) since 2003 on its K8 based microprocessors and for years Intel has resisted doing the same, citing complexities in choosing what memory to support among other reasons for why it didn't follow in AMD's footsteps.
    It was at the same dinner that Pat mentioned Intel may do a chip with an integrated memory controller much like AMD, but that an IMC wouldn't solve the problem of idle execution units - only indirectly mitigate it. With Nehalem, Intel managed to combine both - and it only took 6 years to pull it off.
    and finally

Pat also brought up another very good point at that dinner. He turned to me and said that you can only integrate a memory controller once, what do you do next to improve performance? Intel has managed to keep increasing performance, but what I really want to see is what happens at the next tock.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Cruncher
    K8 copied the IMC from 386SL and 486SL.

Phenom/Barcelona copied its cache hierachy from Itanium and other big tin.

The only thing "new" is basicly the HT.

In short, you make no sense Syn...unless you only look over a tiny tiny period of time and exclude other products.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    I didn't convert to Intel in 2006 or later - I haven't even tried a Core 2 platform, Conroe or Penryn.

What do you guys think it'll be like going from a 90nm AMD Athlon to this?
    Unless you're doing distributed computing or something that requires 100% load for a few hours at a time, you'll notice nothing.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    This makes me wonder, now that they finally implemented everything AMD invented so far what will they do next?
    Come on mate, You make it sound like Intel does nothing but copy AMD and have never thought of anything themselves.

What did they copy exactly?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post

In short, you make no sense Syn...unless you only look over a tiny tiny period of time and exclude other products.
    I see you're living up to your nickname, "ShINTEL" as usual. Spread some more FUD if you wish.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I see you're living up to your nickname, "ShINTEL" as usual. Spread some more FUD if you wish.
    What part is fud? Please elaborate.

Would it be this part?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_laptops
    introduction of the Intel 386SL processor, designed for the specific power needs of laptops, marked the point at which laptop needs were included in CPU design. The 386SL integrated a 386SX core with a memory controller and this was paired with an I/O chip to create the SL chipset. It was more integrated than any previous solution although its cost was higher. It was heavily adopted by the major notebook brands of the time. Intel followed this with the 486SL chipset which used the same architecture. However, Intel had to abandon this design approach as it introduced its Pentium series.
    Or would it be this part?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium
    From 2002 to 2006, Itanium 2 processors shared a common cache hierarchy. They had 16 KiB of Level 1 instruction cache and 16 KiB of Level 1 data cache. The L2 cache was unified (both instruction and data) and is 256 KiB. The Level 3 cache was also unified and varied in size from 1.5 MiB to 24 MiB.
    Last edited by Shintai; 06-05-2008 at 03:53 AM.

Xtreme Addict

Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    Come on mate, You make it sound like Intel does nothing but copy AMD and have never thought of anything themselves.

What did they copy exactly?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...8&postcount=51

I am limiting my references to Nehalem only seeing as this is a thread about Preview Article of Nehalem ES CPU's. Nehalem is a combination of everything that AMD and Intel invented in the last decade, if you disagree please explain why.
    Last edited by Syn.; 06-05-2008 at 03:51 AM.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Member
    Has anybody somekind of idea about the mobo and proc pricing?

Nehalem looks like a product I would want.
    ASUS P5Q DELUXE
    Intel Q9450
    Mushkin 4GB
    Asus GTX260

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by kiikkuja View Post
    Has anybody somekind of idea about the mobo and proc pricing?

Nehalem looks like a product I would want.
    Depends what type. For X58+Bloomsfield I would expect it to cost as X38 boards and CPUs from 400-500$ and up.

Lynnsfield starts under those 4-500$ and the Auburndale for alot less.

Xtreme Mentor
    Smoked and baked! I hope the power consumption can be tweaked, even tho its still alot better performance/watt.
    first consider this - the tri chanel nehalem setup had one extra stick of RAM. that's what 5-10 W right there
    they have 6 months to improve manufacturing...
    do you really think that nehalem will launch using more power at a given clock speed? chanches are the chip itself will launch with TDP 5-10W lower than penryn.

this is quite a leap, it's what, 30-50% faster than conroe...

Quote Originally Posted by ceevee View Post
    If you do the Cinebench math based on my stock result then 2.66Ghz Nehalem = 2.91Ghz Penryn. If you do it based on Anand's result then 2.66Ghz Nehalem = 3.29Ghz Penryn. So maybe this is why he said it was faster than any stock Penryn?

However it begs the question what the hell kind of screwed up mess did he use to get those Penryn benchmarks. They are terrible but he obviously knows what he is doing, so I could only think he lowballed the Penryn results on purpose to make the story more sensational and dramatic.

Your score is based on vista 64, Anand results are on vista 32, it is a known fact that Cinebench 10 runs faster under 64bit OS.
    ======================================
    E6600 3.24GHz @ 1.35V
    D975XBX rev 3.05
    Crucial Tracer PC8500 1GB x 4 @ 900MHz 4-4-3-4
    evga 7900GT
    Dell perc 4e /DC w/ 128MB cache
    2 x MAX3073NC Raid 0
    2 x 500GB WD
    Dell 2407wfp
    =======================================

all outta gum
    OT: looks like Anandtech is running out of bandwidth, pages take forever to load or won't load at all...
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not moving to Nehalem until it hits 32nm.

Xtreme Member
    Depends what type. For X58+Bloomsfield I would expect it to cost as X38 boards and CPUs from 400-500$ and up.

Lynnsfield starts under those 4-500$ and the Auburndale for alot less.
    The bloomfield one as it is the poweruser/enthusiast model/package is it not?

So the overall cost with 3 sticks of RAM would be around 1000€ or over.
    ASUS P5Q DELUXE
    Intel Q9450
    Mushkin 4GB
    Asus GTX260

Banned
    Man, if you're NV this has to hurt. Imagine the biggest party of the year, and you get a note saying: "sorry, but the invitation we sent to you earlier was a mistake. Please accept our apologies."

Look at the table with 3dsmax score breakdown
    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/int...spx?i=3326&p=7

Only ~10% faster in SpaceFlyby?
    I guess that represents Nehalem single-threaded performance improvement :/
    Could be better with mature mobo's, but I guess we shouldn't expect too much.
    Xeon E5 2697 V2, Asus P9X79 Deluxe, 4x 8 GB LoVo 1600Mhz 9-9-9 RAM, GTX 680

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Damn that's some insane performance. Too bad it won't be oc'able. Hopefully someone will figure out some mod so we can oc. 20x multi would be crazy.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by awdrifter View Post
    Damn that's some insane performance. Too bad it won't be oc'able. Hopefully someone will figure out some mod so we can oc. 20x multi would be crazy.
    But it can OC....who told you it cant? Fuad?

Xtreme Addict
    About a 30% perf increase is what I would have expcted. Nothing exceptional.

It will take one year before a nehalem can beat a 4gig wolfie for gaming

SB Rig:
    | CPU: 2600K (L040B313T) | Cooling: H100 with 2x AP29 | Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | Video: MSI gtx570 TF III
    | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB fw009 | HDDs: 2x GP 2TB, 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    | Audio: Cantatis Overture & Denon D7000 headphones | Case: Lian-Li T60 bench table
    | PSU: Seasonic X650 | Display: Samsung 2693HM 25,5"
    | OS: Windows7 Ultimate x64 SP1

+Fanless Music Rig: | E5200 @0.9V

+General surfing PC on sale | E8400 @4Ghz

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTelstar View Post
    About a 30% perf increase is what I would have expcted. Nothing exceptional.

It will take one year before a nehalem can beat a 4gig wolfie for gaming
    Unless you OC the nehalem too

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    first consider this - the tri chanel nehalem setup had one extra stick of RAM. that's what 5-10 W right there
    they have 6 months to improve manufacturing...
    do you really think that nehalem will launch using more power at a given clock speed? chanches are the chip itself will launch with TDP 5-10W lower than penryn.

this is quite a leap, it's what, 30-50% faster than conroe...
    that + power saving features on the nehalem boards where most likely not working properly yet.

Xtreme Rack Freak
    Is it just me, or does this so-called "discussion" sound a lot like those fights we had when Conroe ES was reviewed for the first time ?

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eleeter View Post
    Why would they do that? That would be like testing a high performance V8 with 7 spark plugs removed.
    why? because most applications today are single threaded?
    its nice to see nehalem own in multithreaded benches, but we all knew that was about to happen....
    But i want to see single threaded performance also

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid on May 3
    I think there is not a real reason why to increase the performance upwards this, unless AMD comes with something good, Intel will keep doing its job. Refresh chips 5 to 10% new architecture 15 to 30% performance increase.
    This quote from a month ago stands my point.

This is a great news and more important it came from a very trustful source. The issues were very well explained.

Single threaded applications should not really be taken in account as most of the applications use 2 cores, unless somebody is still living in the stone age.

Nehalem only tends to get better and better with new bios. What Intel really wants to show to developers is that they could adopt more than 2 cores example(4 to 8 threads scalar).

It is the Multithreaded era, AMD and Intel are together, adapt or die soon or later.

Metroid.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfax View Post
    I'm not moving to Nehalem until it hits 32nm.
    Same here. I didnt get Core 2 untill it hit 45 nm. The earlier releases tempted me greatly, but my S939 system was still running everything out there back then and I didnt need to upgrade.

I'm sure that my E8400 will be good enough for another 12-24 months, and I can wait for Nehalem to fully mature and improve before getting one.

As for AMD dying, dont be too sure on that. The enthusiast community only makes up around 1% of the market. Average Joe buying a PC doesnt know which is better out of Intel and AMD, and also there are plenty of AMD fanboys that wont touch Intel CPU's no matter how much better they are.

There are far more people that play PC games that still buy Phenoms over a Core 2 Duo or Quad for whatever reason they have then you would expect, and refuse to listen to advice or accept that Intel's CPU's are better for games. Fanboys will be fanboys, regardless of how much faster one companies products are over another.

I myself used AMD for 10 years. My last Intel CPU was a Pentium 100 and since then I have been using AMD. But I wasnt going to buy an AM2 setup over my previous S939 when there was virtually no difference at all other then the type of memory, whereas the Intel setup geve me a huge performance increase over what I previously had.

Quote Originally Posted by GoThr3k View Post
    why? because most applications today are single threaded?
    its nice to see nehalem own in multithreaded benches, but we all knew that was about to happen....
    But i want to see single threaded performance also
    They will be great in single threaded applications also, they arent going to perform any worse then the Core 2 Quads. Hopefully we will start to see much more use of multi threading and multi core CPU's now. They have been around for ages and are used in most PC's today, whether it is 2 or 4 cores. Now is the time for software developers to make the step towards multi threading and to take advantage of the technology we have available.
    Last edited by Mungri; 06-05-2008 at 05:21 AM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast