Thread: install java on 64bit linux

Xtreme Cruncher

install java on 64bit linux

i'm trying to install jre in 64bit kubuntu so i can use a chat on one site and it doesn't seem to be working. i followed the install directions on the sun site but every browser i tried didn't recognize it/ the chat still didn't work. i also tried the icedtea plugin and jre but that didn't work either.

any ideas?
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

do the repos not have anything?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You probably have Java installed just fine, it's just that 64-bit Java just doesn't work properly in any browser except Konqueror. The relevant bug on Sun's site has been open since, i think, late 2005 and still nothing has been done.

So for now, you're probably best off using Konqueror for anything with Java or downloading a 32-bit browser and the relevant 32-bit Java plugins and VM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    just tried konqueror and get a blank page where the chat box and login would be. imo, konqueror sucks, it wont work with yahoo so i can't even check my mail with it or my school email account
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, Konqueror isn't the best browser (alhtough it does have a good engine - just look at Safari), but it's pretty much your only option.

Try running Sun's Java test applet in Konqueror - http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

If that works and your applet doesn't then something is funky in the pages you are wanting to use.

If it doesn't, then I'd just download 32-bit firefox. Install it to a different prefix than your 64-bit one, make sure you turn off the auto-update as soon as its installed otherwise it'll just upgrade itself to 64-bit. then visit any site that requires Java, and just install the plugin by following Firefox's prompts. I'm not sure if you actually need a 32-bit JVM for this method, but if you do then that's not such a pain to install either.

I just thought, if you have a working 32-bit plugin that links to a 32-bit JVM, then you could use nspluginwrapper to wrap it back into a plugin 64-bit firefox can understand??? I don't know, but worth a shot if you're feeling brave.

Xtreme Member
    I can't believe nobody hasn't linked you to this already!!

That place has ALL the answers you might ask regarding to Ubuntu...and maybe
    part of it can be used with another distros too!!

I don't like the search there but google should work nicely. As a former Ubuntu user (recent Arch-x86_64 convertee)
    I really miss the guides and the repos with 20000 packets.
    ASUS P5Q DELUXE
    Intel Q9450
    Mushkin 4GB
    Asus GTX260