Thread: Corsair Dominator 1066

Xtreme Enthusiast

Corsair Dominator 1066

I got 4 GB of Corsair Dominator 1066C5D (PC2 8500) on my Gigabyte 965p-DQ6.

Can't get them to clock 1000MHz. Just tried 1066 and that didn't even boot up.

800MHz for them is great
    900MHz is fine but timing is terrible
    1000MHz is unstable
    1066MHz is unbootable

these are the micron v1.2 all 4 are the same batch.

CM2X1024-8500C5D/F
    ........................XMS850X v1.X...MICRON.........64Mx8...Rev.D (2.2 Volts)

is my motherboard too old for these rams or are they just unable to clock that high ?
    Last edited by Ar3s; 06-01-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Everyday is a NiceDay

I have 2GB of the 1066 Dominator and it doesn't oc worth a $h!t. I have the same effects as you, first, $h!tty speeds, then when you bump it its unstable, then bump it farther and no boot. Im going back to good ole Mushkin.
    Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People
    Proc: Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.5ghz (2ghz fsb)
    Video: Nvidia Evga 8800GTS 640MB
    Mobo: Asus P5KC
    RAM: Mushkin 4GB DDR2 1066
    PSU: PC P&C 610W
    Case: Thermaltake Eureka Server Case
    Speakers: Onkyo S4100 5.1
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 226BW/Samsung 40" ToC 1080p TV
    Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Ergonomics 4000
    Mouse: Razer Copperhead
    Sound: Auzentech X-fi Prelude 7.1
    Cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon

Xtreme Mentor
    u set the volts in the bios to 2.1?
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

it most likely the MB, but try 55 trfc and some NB voltage
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Corsair Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockW View Post
    I have 2GB of the 1066 Dominator and it doesn't oc worth a $h!t. I have the same effects as you, first, $h!tty speeds, then when you bump it its unstable, then bump it farther and no boot. Im going back to good ole Mushkin.
    If you read the OP here, you'll note that he's trying to clock 4 up on a 965 chipset at 1066. Without some extreme NBv that is not likely going to happen as the chipset cannot handle it. It has nothing to do with the brand of memory.
    Yes, Yellowbeard, a tall rough man with a big yellow beard

Hey, I have a similiar issue. I just bought a new MB...ASUS P5E Deluxe and 4GB of the same memory: TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF\

I'm a total noobie at BIOS settings for voltages and such, but for the life of me, I cannot get this memory to run stable at DDR2-1066 and pass memtest. I get random BSODs and lock ups in windows. memtest failures are at the end of step #5.

Here is what I am doing/what I have done to try to get this to work:
    Selected DDR2-1066 in the BIOS and increased the RAM voltage to 2.1v per the instructions in the manuals - will not pass memtest
    Tried increasing the NB voltage, but I have no clue what it needs to be. - everything I've tried failed memtest.
    If I test each stick by themselves, they pass memtest.
    If I set it at DDR2-800 in the BIOS (leave everything auto), it runs perfectly and stable.

I guess what I'm looking for are what to put in the BIOS, step by step cuz I'm stupid I guess, to get this memory to work at the speeds that I purchased it for.

Xtreme Addict
    Firstly, check the official Asus X38 mobos thread about P5E and such:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=160849
    perhaps someone had the same issue and ppl actually owning the board might know the bios better and can tell you what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_skills View Post
    Firstly, check the official Asus X38 mobos thread about P5E and such:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=160849
    perhaps someone had the same issue and ppl actually owning the board might know the bios better and can tell you what to do.

well, this is an X48 board. Doesn't that make a difference?

Corsair Rep
    Are you leaving the CPU at stock when you set the RAM to 1066? Also, what is the stock voltage on your NB on that board and what have you tried above stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Are you leaving the CPU at stock when you set the RAM to 1066? Also, what is the stock voltage on your NB on that board and what have you tried above stock?
    yes, CPU is left stock...have never overclocked this thing. But I am considering it.

I've no clue what the stock voltage on the NB ( I have a couple of utilities installed but nothing just stands out as NorthBridge.) Is this the same thing as vcore? if so, it is at 1.28v .... if not, please advise.

I have only went up a tick or two in the NB voltage. I don't wanna blow something up...since I'm so new at this.

Corsair Rep
    Vcore is the CPU voltage. Unless you are OCing the CPU, there is no need to change that. Check your manual and look at the bios options in the section that allows you to change voltages. It will be called something like NBv, MCHv, etc. If you cannot find how to make these adjustments, you may want to contact ASUS technical support or visit their forums. Also, you can find some OCing guides or other users with your board via Google.

I think it's 1.5v. The manual says to start there and move up to a maximum of 1.75v.

When upping the voltage for the RAM to 2.1v (Corsair spec), like the manual says to do, am I supposed to increase anything else or turn anything off/on? Southbridge, etc.?

There are no forums with this particular motherboard...trust me, I've looked and I've started countless threads across the internet.

is there a utility that shows the northbridge voltage in real time?

Corsair Rep
    You should only need to increase the RAM voltage, and set the timings manually. Then, you can start on the NBv. Also, keep in mind that you don't have find info on the EXACT same MOBO. Any ASUS P35, X38, and X48 are all going to be similar and you can use the same methodology to tune them.

well, I called Corsair support and they suggest upping the NB voltage. He suggested setting the command rate to 2N/2T/or 2 and if there is anything called memory remap, to enable that. The memory says 2.1v but he said 2.2v?????

I called ASUS to get the factory set NB voltage and it seems that it is 1.25v.

I have already set the timings 5-5-5-15 and I've tried the 2.1v and this produces memory test errors at the end of step #5.

Now, should it be 2.1v or 2.2v? How much should I increase the NBv? Where do I find the command rate field to change it?
    Sorry to ask dumb questions but I'm really getting tired of this. I just want it to work!

To get mine to run at full speed, I had to update the MB bios.