Thread: Koolance Review on XS homepage

Xtreme Cruncher

Koolance Review on XS homepage

[CTX]SGT. Viper did a review on some koolance stuff enjoy:
    http://www.xtremesystems.com/modules...ews&file=index

EDIT: couldn't get link to review to work please click the "Koolance Liquid Cooling System" link in the most recent list
    Last edited by Grafton; 05-28-2008 at 10:22 AM.
    CPU Q6600 @ 3.15Ghz D-tek CPU Block
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R 350Mhz FSB
    RAM G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-2GBHK DDR2 1066
    GPU Nvidia 8800GT MCW-60 700Mhz Core 1.0 GHz Mem
    PSU Cooler Master realPower 550W
    Storage 3 500 GB WD Caviar SE16 in RAID 0 + 300gb WD
    Misc. CM stacker STC-T01 w/ Cross-flow fan, 2 MCR-320 Rads, DCC 355 W/ Petras Top, 12 YateLoon D12SL-12, ~12ft Tygon 9/16 ID tubing

Crunching for [XS]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Better than old Koolance...

But ı prefer Dangerden,Swfitech,EK,Thermochil...
    Intel Core i7 930@ 4.0Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD4P | 3x2Gb OCZ 1600mhz | Palit GTX280 | 1TB Seagate | Samsung P2350 23'' | Silverstone Decathlon DA750W | Lian-Li PC777B | Logitech Z-5500 | Creative X-Fi| Iphone 4

Hardwarena Overclock Team

Xtreme Member
    I'm lost..... I thought everyone here was on the same page of Aluminum Rads are bad? (Galvonic Corrosion) I know if you use their Gold Plated blocks it should be safe.....

OH well.... I dunno. If it cools then go for it I guess!

Confused -
    RoB

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by XS_RoB View Post
    I'm lost..... I thought everyone here was on the same page of Aluminum Rads are bad? (Galvonic Corrosion) I know if you use their Gold Plated blocks it should be safe.....

Confused -
    RoB
    We are.

How he got away with it, i have no clue. :X

But in all reviews, you can never bit the hand that loaned the parts to you, or gave the parts to you.

This is why i dont trust any review where the parts were loaned or given. Martin maybe my only exception, because he's truthful enough to bit the hand that feeds him!

I am not aware of CTX's situation, however the only parts from koolance i trust is only stuff that came out this year. Everything else is just trash/junk.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 05-28-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XS_RoB View Post

Confused -
    RoB
    Galvanic corrosion wont be an issue unless you add unplated copper blocks, even then 2-300ml of automotive 5-year antifreeze or central heating inhibitors would keep it pretty safe.

CTX: While you have this system, is there any chance you can do a direct comparison of the radiator to some other high end radiators, 480s if possible or 2x240s to get some best Cu vs best Al radiator data or would that void the warranty.

We've had some good reviews of our ThermalTake water-cooled system but I'd rather use Koolance.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    We've had some good reviews of our ThermalTake water-cooled system but I'd rather use Koolance.
    id rather not use either and go complete custom.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I didn't know Koolance makes a quad radiator, cool!

Unfortunately I have a bad case of alumiphobia, it may not be as bad as it's played out to be, but I've seen enough...

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Nicely done review.
    Well written and covered all the major points!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Banned
    Not a bad review. As with anything else around here, just take the review with a grain of salt. Yeah, I'm sure the equipment was given to him to review, but it dosn't mean he's scewing the results. Viper isn't the most knowledgeable when it comes to watercooling equipment, but he's a good guy. If you're looking for an all-in-one package this dosn't look to bad, but I personally would rather have a custom setup.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    Not a bad review. As with anything else around here, just take the review with a grain of salt. Yeah, I'm sure the equipment was given to him to review, but it dosn't mean he's scewing the results. Viper isn't the most knowledgeable when it comes to watercooling equipment, but he's a good guy. If you're looking for an all-in-one package this dosn't look to bad, but I personally would rather have a custom setup.
    I hear ya - but if you look at what he's got, it is a custom supplied kit. It is not the all in one style (Exos Branded) But the radiator is very misleading looking by them painting it black. (Sneaky) and hiding the typical Round ends on their rads by putting black Square guards around them.

But I noticed on the review (CPU) side only that the gain is only around 5* or so. That is a HUGE COST of Ownership for only 5* from Air....

Again - if it works for ya Great! But like Martinm210 (THIS FORUM) has made me an Aluminuphobic Obessesive Cumpulsive Disorder = AOCD

Still loving the Looks of Koolance though..... I will Definately Give them that!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    id rather not use either and go complete custom.
    I'd prefer to go full custom but it would be a nightmare for the sales team, stock management and warranties. So persuading management to go down this route will be tricky and take time. The £1500 system got Best ever Crysis and 3D Mark 06 in PC Plus so it's a persuasive argument in the right direction.

As an OEM I guess we will use which ever watercooling company that can supply us the volumes we need on time and at good prices.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    I'd prefer to go full custom but it would be a nightmare for the sales team, stock management and warranties. So persuading management to go down this route will be tricky and take time. The £1500 system got Best ever Crysis and 3D Mark 06 in PC Plus so it's a persuasive argument in the right direction.

As an OEM I guess we will use which ever watercooling company that can supply us the volumes we need on time and at good prices.
    Swiftech.
    Or DangerDen. Personally you should mix the two companies.

Only company i can think of where you'd get quality parts + they carry everything from rad -> res -> blocks -> Pump.

i dont understand why a big company WONT pair up with swiftech tho. I would figure they be cheaper then Innotek or Zalman.

DFI even teamed up with thermalright on the UT x48.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 05-30-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I wrote the review unbiased. [cTx]SGT.Viper supplied the test rig and every single picture (and the beer) and kept the system. So don't take this review with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Sta!nless; 06-01-2008 at 05:53 PM.
    .:.e6600@3.6 (400x9) 1.4vCore
    .:.Gigabyte EP43-DS3LR
    .:.On water,Apogee, BipII ,DD D5
    .:.Corsair XMS2--2gig@800 4.4.4.12 2t
    .:.BFG GTS250
    .:.Corsair tx650w
    .:.Audigy2 Zs
    .:.WD WD2500KS-250 seta2
    .:.Samsung Syncmaster T220
    .:.Chimei 22" LCD on the side

HTPC::
    e6300
    9600GT
    ASUS P5N-E SLI
    2gig OCZ HPC Reapers
    Corsair HX520
    LG BD HD DVD combo
    500 gig seta2
    50" Panasonic Plasma 1080p

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx]Sta!nless View Post
    I wrote the review unbiased. [cTx]SGT.Viper supplied the test rig and every single picture (and the beer) and kept the system. So don't take this review with a grain of salt.
    well, i havent said anything about its performance aspect.

The only thing that bothers me is the ALU rad, and the Copper blocks.

:\

I ran into corrosion a very long time ago with a Thermaltake kit, and it wasnt fun. I vowed many years ago, i would never mix metals.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Never thought I would see the day a Koolance system was reviewed here...

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    I have the new Koolance blocks and they are fantastic, i love them, the remind me of the enzotech setup.
    with copper and nickle look, they make a very clean and sexy layout on your motherboard.
    Plus the internal flow design will stand toe to toe with most blocks. I also have the GPU full cover water-blocks
    again very sweet and goes well with the other water-blocks.

But this is where i kinda won't take chances, where i love the water-blocks, the rad seems to be built out of multi materials
    and even the hint of that is just a no-go,

Plus this statement was pretty aggressive
    Here is the massive quad 120mm fan radiator with the 4x120mm fans mounted. Koolance claims that it has 1300 watts of heat dissipation.
    all i have to say is WOW.

So my koolance review, is the water-blocks are Top Notch and very slick looking,

Koolance has made all of their blocks out of copper. Copper does a better job of removing heat from components. Koolance has kept with that standard of excellence. Both the top and bottom of the CPU block are indeed made out of solid copper. Even better, they plated it with an anti-corrosive nickel allowing the block to last for many years. The block is designed to work with multiple core processor configurations, including dual, quad, and single cores.

but stay away from the Rads....

I choose swiftech, 120.3 they are low priced and work great (50ea) at the egg and the pump rad is most
    surely a swiftech 355 pump with xspc resi.

Now thats a great watercooling setup.....

I can't wait to try the MagiCool XTREME NOVA 1080, coming soon to my duality near you!
    Last edited by systemviper; 06-01-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Addict
    Here is the massive quad 120mm fan radiator with the 4x120mm fans mounted. Koolance claims that it has 1300 watts of heat dissipation.
    Historically, Koolance has always used a 30 degree air/water delta, using 100cfm fans, to get their heat dissipation ratings. By that standard, a PA120.3 is likely good for nearly 2000 watts.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    Historically, Koolance has always used a 30 degree air/water delta, using 100cfm fans, to get their heat dissipation ratings. By that standard, a PA120.3 is likely good for nearly 2000 watts.
    Yeah that air/water delta trick is sneaky marketing by the rad folks. In the end if they don't post what the water/air delta is or they don't post what fans are used to produce that...I wouldn't trust it.

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that done though...

I'm just glad to see them starting to make more fittings out of brass/copper, etc.

Banned
    Look I've only been paying attention to the wc scene for 7 months but looking back at some old reviews, it is clear that Koolance has come a long way. They are starting to get it right and a lot of people who buy their stuff do so because it looks good, not for its performance. Why would they send XS [former anti Koolance land] their product? Their biggest issue is pricing as the majority of items are way over priced.

I think my perspective is free from bias.