Thread: Some noob questions on a build...(starting this summer)

Xtreme Member

Some noob questions on a build...(starting this summer)

So this summer was planning to build a Phase change unit into my MM-ufo case, anyways I was wondering how large of a compressor I would need for a Q6600. Running in the 4ghz+ range on about 1.4-1.55v (currently @ 4ghz 1.42v)

So the NF11FX?, Or would the NF9FX be enough? Noise is a consideration, as well as power but not near as much. If there is a better compressor, please mention it. I was hoping for an evap temp of like -30c, or would higher be possible? I wouldn't mind lower evap temp though if I can get away with a smaller compressor. I do plan on pushing the chip to the max though, and I know its got more in it.

Next, is the evaporator & controller. I have seen some for sale on a few sites, (ebay, etc) but they are overpriced and I would rather not fabricate them myself. Are there some in the FS section? (can't see due to the silly 100 posts needed, not sure what to do since I seldom post...) I see some people in the evap galleries with some beautiful evaps, as well as some threads about controlers. Should I pm those people directly?

Third, I was wondering about the condenser. Can I use a much larger one, like a condenser you might pull off of a 5200btu A/C unit? I was hoping to just use the positive air pressure I already have in my case and mount it in the top (to avoid needing a fan, or just use a large 250mm)

All the other aspects of construction and charging I have covered. I luckily have a dad that has been in HVAC for 30 years and has all the tools and equipment needed. Unfortunately, he usually works with units that are 4tons or larger in capacity, and only really knows how to install and fix them. So I was hoping you guys could help me out with these few things

I'd appreciate any help guys!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by pur; 05-27-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quick bullet points as I'm slammed
    1) NF9FX would suffice although the NF11FX would be desirable.
    1.5) Embraco has a few good stand-ins also, FF10HBX is a decent compressor
    2) http://under-the-ice.com/ has nearly everything you'd need at a price that's hard to beat for a one-off build.
    3) You can use a larger condenser but I don't thinking using the airflow leaving your PC case would be a good idea. I'd just get a normal condenser with some large fans to keep the noise down.e

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I had looked there, but currently they do not have any controllers

What would be the difference between a NF10FX and a NF11FX then?

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Displacement and strength of the motor. To be honest the difference between an NF9FX and an NF11FX are so small for a single-stage until you start getting into heavy loads. I'd just go with whatever you can get for the cheapest.

so i herd u liek mudkipz? your avatar reminded me of that statement -_-

Xtreme Member
    *Sceams* I LUUUUUUUUUVE MUDKIPS!

Yeah thats what I was thinking, whatever is quietest, and keeps the thing cold.

Hmmm, so the NF9FX, NF10FX, NF11FX. Which to choose....

Xtreme Mentor
    nf9fx is quite cheap for individual compressor via UTI... there are some cheap recips on ebay, but you won't find many danfoss compressors.

regards
    mentally confused and prone to wandering