Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting Up a Crunching Farm....?

Xtreme Addict

Setting Up a Crunching Farm....? (56K Warning!)

EDIT: Changed title to something more appropriate.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but its related to crunching WCG....

I am getting ready to build a mini-crunching farm. Someone called their's a "petting zoo". So, that term will work for me.

Anyway, I have 3 rigs. 1 is an older 478 setup that I am probably going to part out on ebay. So, I am currently looking at 2 up-to-date rigs to run 24/7. I would like to add more over the next few months, but cost is a factor.

Sooooo, the question is: For rigs that are just crunching--is their any reason that I cannot split, say, a 750w--Quality--psu and run 2 rigs off 1 psu?

I can make the splitters myself......

Serious inquiry. Any reason why this is not feasible/practical....?
    Last edited by Naja002; 06-09-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    The main problem with this is that the mobo pwer rating of psu generally isn't high enough to run two or more boards from one psu. You have enough capacity on the 12 and 5v rails but not the 3.3 rail. Especailly if you overclock your systems.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Member
    And i think its cheaper to get 2 low end PSU that will crunch to death than a good 750W PSU high quality

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    You can also get some decent PSUs for dirt cheap, 2 for less than a 750w would cost. I'm using a 380w Antec EarthWatts on my file server which has a 3GHz 65nm C2D, 2GB of ram, and 4 HDDs and the entire setup pulls maybe 200w on a bad day. With a quad it might get close to 300w but I think this PSU could handle that with ease. Unless you can get a 750w for under $100, I don't think it'd be worth it. Fart_Plume's point should also be considered, I don't know how much of the 3.3v and 5v rails are used.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would guess it comes down to the fact of how many amps the 12V lines of each motherboard will draw, and if your power supply can supply enough amps.

Obviously as you will be crunching, the motherboard/CPU will be draining a lot of power from the PSU.

If I were to do this myself I would ensure I used the lowest power draining components I could get my hands on (GPU, HDD's, etc). Or alternatively just buy some cheap 350W PSU's.

Back from the Dead
    It can be done and it works, there is even some Y-cable for the ATX main power available to shop somewhere (can't find it right now though).
    But as already stated, I'd rather get 2 good but affordable quality PSUs, look for Fortron/FSP OEMs around 400W. They are gray, they are ugly, but they are cheap, powerful and highly efficient.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Addict
    Cool. Thanx, Folks. That's basically the kind of info I was looking for....

As I said before, I'm most likely going to part out my 478 northwood pc, so that will leave me OCing a Q9450/P5E-VM HDMI and an E8400/GA-G31M-S2L. The GA-G31M-S2L I'm unsure about. Its supposed to be a decent OCing mATX MB. I picked it up for ~$67 shipped, so I want to check it out. If its "Good", I'll see about setting up more.

But then there's ram, cpu's, psu's.... All starts adding up quick.....

I can pick up refurbed HDs(40G) on ebay for ~$22 shipped, so: How much ram is really needed for a decent OC'ed cruncher? Anybody?
    Last edited by Naja002; 05-27-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    384-512MB/core. Duals need 1GB or so, Quads need 2GB or so.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well I'm running 64 bit ubuntu on a quadcore, currently running 2x HPF, DDDT and HCC and using 605 MiB of memory. The system I'm typing this on is using 896 MiB, also 64 bit ubuntu running various stuff foreground and background, 2x HPF and 2x FAAH.

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Back from the Dead
    1GB should be enough for anything but Octacores - my Dual harper takes about 1,2GB of ram for crunching (worst-case scenario).

If you're only crunching HCC, which I mostly do, even 512MB is more than enough. But given the price of DDR2, I'd throw 1-2gb in at least (thinking ahead)
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
    As I said before, I'm most likely going to part out my 478 northwood pc, so that will leave me OCing a Q9450/P5E-VM HDMI and an E8400/GA-G31M-S2L. But then there's ram, cpu's, psu's.... All starts adding up quick.....
    Basically, I'm looking at running the 2 rigs above. If the S2L turns out to be a decent little board, then I'll seriously consider getting more. The Q9450 is really out of my price range, so I would probably be looking at the Q6600s--they would be the "big expense" per rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    384-512MB/core. Duals need 1GB or so, Quads need 2GB or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    1GB should be enough for anything but Octacores - my Dual harper takes about 1,2GB of ram for crunching (worst-case scenario).

If you're only crunching HCC, which I mostly do, even 512MB is more than enough. But given the price of DDR2, I'd throw 1-2gb in at least (thinking ahead)
    I'm wondering which is correct....? I would like to get away with 1GB per rig--that is what I was hoping. But its really about efficiency--is DDR2 1GB of PC-6400 enough? There's some decent deals on PC-8500 right now? <---This is for the crunchers....My everyday rig will crunch, but I'll worry about its setup separately.

Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    Well I'm running 64 bit ubuntu on a quadcore, currently running 2x HPF, DDDT and HCC and using 605 MiB of memory. The system I'm typing this on is using 896 MiB, also 64 bit ubuntu running various stuff foreground and background, 2x HPF and 2x FAAH.
    After doing some reading this morning I checked out the ubuntu site. I've heard of it, but never really looked into it at all. The S2L rig is going to have the ubuntu 64x on it. I'll use that rig to check it out.....

Still on the ram: Any advice on the 1GB? PC-6400 v PC-8500? Value v Performance ram?
    Last edited by Naja002; 05-27-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Back from the Dead
    1GB is enough for machines up to a quad, like I said. Most projects don't even use that, HCC uses ~120MB per thread.
    And as far as I know, WCG doesn't really care all that much about ramspeed. But as always, make it fit your setup. If you plan to OC high, giving your CPU some bandwidth can't hurt. But a 3Ghz Quad won't really care if you're running DDR2-900 or 1100.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, got it. Cool. I've got 4x1GB of PC-6400 Ballistics, and I'm twitchin' over here wanting to buy PC-8500 or something for the Q9450/P5E-VM setup. But for now I need to hold off, so I'll split the ram between the 2 rigs and go with that for now. But I can split up the ballistics, eventually, between 4 rigs.

Back from the Dead
    Just be careful when running single channel, you gotta get your memspeed up real high then to compensate for using only 1 stick (2:3 divider or something)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Just be careful when running single channel, you gotta get your memspeed up real high then to compensate for using only 1 stick (2:3 divider or something)
    Really? I feel like an idiot for ordering a single 2GB stick then. My dad said that it didn't make the slightest difference.

version 2.0
    Yes , but your dad is not xtreme

It does make a difference for overclockers.
    Regular users probably won't notice.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, folks, so fill me in here......I'm looking at building a mini crunching farm, i.e., up to 5 (cruncher-stable) OCed crunchers (quads) and one toy/everyday/cruncher.

I have the 4x1GB ballistix PC-6400. I want to buy some faster ram for the Q9450/Asus rig<---that's my toy/everyday/cruncher.

The (up to) 5 crunchers should be GA-G31M-S2L with Q6600s. I will start checking out that MB today or Monday.

I don't want to buy a bunch of 512mb stix that I probably won't be able to give-away in a yr or 3.

I don't understand/know the inner-workings of these crunching programs--so, I'm kind of in the dark here.

For the crunchers--what's my best plan.....?

For dedication example here is my latest project: using car radiators...why not?
    My participation in that thread starts at Post #131. I am going to start my own thread on my own project. Its basically completed minus the PCs. I have ~50 pix to post. I gotta know how to set the farm up so the PCs will breed and multiply!

Check my sig for my personal WCing project.....
    Last edited by Naja002; 06-09-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Jaco View Post
    Yes , but your dad is not xtreme

It does make a difference for overclockers.
    Regular users probably won't notice.
    Then as soon as it arrives should I send it back and get a 2x1gb kit?

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    The 2 gig sticks are probably going to be standard size, Ive been in computers a long time and have heard that line "it didn't make the slightest difference." when the standard memeory was 8kb chips. Programs are eating more and more memory as is the os, So keep the 2gb stick and have room to add more later. I've got 2X2gb sticks in mine with room to add two more if needed.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I say keep it and add another 2gb stick if you need it.

As for the OT, I think I would opt in for a PSU per cruncher. I am sure it can be done.
    Apple MBP 15": Intel T9400 (2x2.53GHz) | 2x2Gb DDR3 1066 | 9400M + 9600M GT | 250Gb 7200rpm
    Wish List: Return to desktop for some crunch action.

I am on... QuadCaine.

I am Xtreme
    Isn't anybody going to offer this guy some therapy? He's calmly and rationally planning to cultivate one of the most debilitating addictions known to man or hamster, and what are we doing? Giving him tips on the care and feeding of his addiction - while there is still some chance of saving him!!! Aren't you people ashamed of yourselves? Have you no shame?

Xtreme Addict
    If you've checked out my latest project linked above (starting @ Post #131)--I'm not really sure the "rationally" part applies........

version 2.0
    About one PSU powering two machines:
    What if you want to restart one machine? You'll have to restart the other machine too. Not very practical or am I missing something?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
    If you've checked out my latest project linked above (starting @ Post #131)--I'm not really sure the "rationally" part applies........
    Yeah, you might already be beyond help. So many financial futures destroyed by this illness. Have you considered compulsive gambling? It might be cheaper.

Just trying to help.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    Yeah, you might already be beyond help. So many financial futures destroyed by this illness. Have you considered compulsive gambling? It might be cheaper.

Just trying to help.
    Apple MBP 15": Intel T9400 (2x2.53GHz) | 2x2Gb DDR3 1066 | 9400M + 9600M GT | 250Gb 7200rpm
    Wish List: Return to desktop for some crunch action.

I am on... QuadCaine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast