Thread: Soldering the right way.

Banned

Soldering the right way.

O.K., I have fried enough stuff trying to learn as I go, so I decided to go to the local electronics specialty store and ask some questions. And here's what they had to say:

Use 24# multi strand wire as it takes the solder quicker than solid strand wire.

ALWAYS use some type of flux on the joint!

Use the smallest dia. rosin core wire you can get your hands on.

Use a 25 watt iron with a fine tip.

Get a magnifying glass to TRIPLE check the joint. When you think you've got it right CHECK IT AGIAN.

Apply the solder to the wire first if possible then solder the joint.

Tin the surrounding area if possible in case you get a little shakey at the last moment.

Keep the iron tip clean.

These tips came from an old codger who has been soldering this little stuff for as long as I have been alive, so I think I'll take his advise. I know this is common knowledge for most of you on this forum but I hope it will help out some other noob solderer's like myself.

Xtreme Addict
    i'd recommend a 15watt, because anything more, is overkill on hardware
    NF7 | Mobile 2400+ | 256MB Twinmos PC3200 BH5 | 9800 PRO | 23384 6989

MY HEATWARE

Banned
    That is what I was using but this guy said the 25 watt would form the joint quicker and you can get off the board with less heat to the component. I don't know just taking his advice.

I am Xtreme
    I also use a 25Watt iron with a very fine tip, it heats up your work quicker and the solder will melt quicker.

I even used it for as fine work as the Vdimm mod and it worked fine.
    Another tip: Do not exaggerate with solder, a little blob is enough.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Banned
    Yes , it is better to have it come loose than to try to remove a glob from the resistor next door. Found that out the hard way too! The 25w did a much better job on the vdimm for me also. The 15w was too cold and I pulled the resistor off the board.

Xtreme Addict
    Use the smallest dia. rosin core wire you can get your hands on.
    what do you mean by this?? i use tree sap (aka rosin) as my flux...

also, i think we should make a guide on how to "tin" the wires so they grab solder better and make nice clean connections

MY HEATWARE

Banned
    I don't know enough to make any guide as I am a noob solderer. That would be some great info if someone would do it! Think of all the boards and Advil that would be saved!

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by 2fast4u
    I don't know enough to make any guide as I am a noob solderer. That would be some great info if someone would do it! Think of all the boards and Advil that would be saved!
    i would, but i dont have a good camera to show what i'm doing

MY HEATWARE

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i use an 8W iron and it melts the solder in less than a sec...

i use the 8w to solder a wire to a chips leg and a 28W iron to desolder something.

and yeh checking the contact is really important! i tripple check it 3 times

check, check, check let the eyes rest check check check , let the eyes rest check, check , check

oh, checking the resistance of he cable you soldered also helps, if you still get the same ohms like before soldering it on a chip its probably not really making contact.