Thread: Tec water Chiller (I'm bored)

Xtreme Member

Tec water Chiller (I'm bored)

So here is my idea.

I have a DD maze4 with the Pelt attachment, and a 80w pelt just sitting in my closet. Now I'm kinda bored, and would like to play with it.

So I was thinking I could use it to chill the water in my WC setup. So obviously the pelt would be reversed, cold side going towards the water.

Now, all I would really need is something to cool the hot side. I have a few old HSF's sitting in my closet too, but anything I use is going to require some wrench time to get attached to the maze4.

So, my question is: what kind of temporary temp drop could I expect? Or over all temp drop on the CPU. Because I would hook it up in the loop after the Rad, and just before the CPU. RAD --> Pelt --> CPU
    Is it even worth the bother?

If it helps, my specs are:
    Q6600 @ 4ghz 1.44v WC
    8800gtx WC
    NB & mofsets WC
    PA120.3 and a Ehiem 1250 pump (soon to be replaced)
    (I also know Im going to pushing the pump if I add another block)

I'd post some pics and some average water temps, but I'm at work, and I had the time to post this now.

So, what you guys think?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With only 80w on the line your not going to notice a difference. Maybie a C or two at best at idle. And it would take a long time to get there. I wouldnt bother.

Xtreme Member
    Perhaps it could be turned into a drink chiller or something then. Seems like a waste not to use it.

Thanks.
    Q9650 @ 4ghz | EP45-UD3P | 5870 |

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pur View Post
    Perhaps it could be turned into a drink chiller or something then. Seems like a waste not to use it.

Thanks.
    ZOMGVTEK is right about the impact on a WC setup. But you could make a decent drink cooler - get one of those little foam coolers that just fit a 6-pack, or something about right for a bottle of wine. Put maybe 2 L of water in the container and run that through your cold side loop. Run the TEC at 12V - you will draw about 6A. On the hot side, you need to unload a little over 100W, so any decent CPU heat sink will work. Your water will drop at about 3C per minute. If you put a thermostatic control on the TEC power to maintain water at 5C or so, you should get a bath that you could drop a 6-pack into and have it cold in a matter of minutes.

That actually seems kind of cool - I might even try it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    80w tecs work great for north and south bridge chips! on the new 780 north chip I think it will be a little low but you may gain some.